• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitstun/shield stun Thread

Shell

Flute-Fox Only
I've found that 10% works pretty well. Captain Falcon is a real pleasure to use, especially. I tried 15% but I got caught in unavoidable u-smash spam. Sheik can alternate d-tilt to f-tilt on several characters for a little too long a little too easily for my personal tastes. I'm not sure how different 13-14% is, but I'll have to try it.

@kupo15 - Perhaps we should continue any cancel discussion in the appropriate S vs. L vs. auto L thread and leave this thread for hitstun?

kupo15

Smash Hero
sure thing

From here on, lets direct everything to the S vs l cancel thread. Quote the stuff here to there if your going to refute.

kupo15

Smash Hero
And what are those values so I can update?

I like 15% atm. You may occasionally get stuck in two Usmashes, but that means your DI should be better. But Zelda gets really good with this. She can do double Usmash. I actually had to switch to 4 stocks again. lol its so nice

FAILchion-

OH HE'S SO PRINGLES
The Final Countdown is now playing in your head.
I've found that 10% works pretty well. Captain Falcon is a real pleasure to use, especially. I tried 15% but I got caught in unavoidable u-smash spam. Sheik can alternate d-tilt to f-tilt on several characters for a little too long a little too easily for my personal tastes. I'm not sure how different 13-14% is, but I'll have to try it.

@kupo15 - Perhaps we should continue any cancel discussion in the appropriate S vs. L vs. auto L thread and leave this thread for hitstun?
It's pretty good. Almost feels like Melee, to be honest. I tried some Melee combos with Capt. Falcon, and they worked pretty well. 15% is too much, but at the same time, I feel as if 10% isn't enough.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Got it. Updated

If anyone has good vids of matches they think best displays their level of hitstun for comparison, post it so I can add it to the OP

zxeon

Smash Lord
What does 3F100000 come out to in a percentage anyway? I can't figure out how to get that calculator to give me decimal for a floating point hex.

That's wierd this whole time I thought I was using 3F100000 when I was really using 3F000000 (10%). Sorry if I confused anyone.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
3F1 is 11.25% lol
haha :p

Yeah I use 13% it feels pretty good.. I'm considering testing 15%.

Is 15% in any way broken? Can combos be DIed out of, or is it a sure fire 0-death with the enemy having little to no chance??

Oh yeah, and does the hit stun code work on active CPUs? It seems that they can do things when they should instead be stunned...

MookieRah2

Smash Cadet
So many things to touch on.
I didn't say it was "overpowered" I said S canceling lets ppl spam "their most powerful attacks" I made no melee reference
Well then, if you don't think that it is "overpowered" and you had no intention of claiming it is "overpowered" then how is it bad?
It annoys me how ppl make the same claim to argue against essential things like shield stun but argue for wavedashing
Wavedashing is fun and nice, but that is not the only reason I support the melee air dodge. The most essential benefit of that code is that it limits your number of air dodges to 1, so you can't spam them in the air. That was a bit too good, and it prevented all sorts of things and allowed for somewhat sloppy play. The next good thing about the code is that directional air dodges are helpful when you only have a single air dodge. The brawl air dodge simply followed your trajectory, and the only way to trick your opponent with it was with good timing. With the directional air dodge you can alter your course and allow you to get more out of a single air dodge. All that, plus it just so happens to enable wavedashing as well. Keep in mind, I didn't want wavedashing just because of wavedashing, or just because that's how it was in melee.
Why are you afraid of MK's shield pressure when you were ok with Fox's shield pressure in melee?
Because MK is already borderline too good, and adjusting shield stun seems like something that could easily tip things.
Character balance. The hard hitter's moves are laggier for a reason and by taking away the lag, the character can act differently than he was designed to be
That is a poor argument. You are arguing creators intent yet you are wanting to change the game more than I am. Nintendo can't balance **** anyways. Ganon, Ike, DK, D3, Snake, and Charizard aren't broken because of S-canceling. In fact, the people who sucked the most before (Ganon and Ike) are now actually DECENT because of S-canceling, and the better characters (DK, Snake, and D3) don't get as much out of it.
I find this completely untrue. Ganon has some excellent combos thanks to his flame choke. Have you seen this vid?
Those combos wouldn't work on a human opponent. DI and teching can prevent pretty much everything in that vid. Ganon can only string stuff together at low percents, after that he just lands single big hits.
Yes this is a possibility but you wont find good players who play heavy hitters make this mistake often. I play against an excellent Ganon player that Im sure will change your mind really quickly.
I'm sure I would find my way around it too. How can that one move cause so much trouble? It has a lot of startup time, and he is forced to shield after using it. Sure, it might be devastating against your main, but other characters can break it. Heck, I know Falcon can.

Seriously, just think about it for a second...no lag on aerials...zero lag...tell me that doesn't sound like overkill.
It sounds bad, until you realize that the shield has to come up, and then down, before you can attack.
Bottom line is that strong moves are balanced due to their lag.
Ike is still slow. His base attributes are all slow. All of his moves, except his jabs, have a long startup time. Ike having S-canceling doesn't make him fast. It just gives him a safe approach. With or without S-canceling he telegraphs most of his attacks.
Would you dare be that liberal with Ganon's dair if there were no such thing as auto-canceling? I rest my case. I only talked about two moves...it's already a wall of text, so I'll stop.
Yes. Honestly it isn't broken. Ganon can't even approach with it. Ganon has to be right on top of you, and it takes a while to come out. Good luck setting that up consistently. Also, while thunder stomp is good, Ganon is still terrible.
We know what shield stun will do because we have examples, not to mention debated it to death.
Have examples? Theoretical examples? So you are so sure about shield canceling when you haven't tried it yet, but you hate S-canceling because you simply don't like the fact that slow guys have a few effective approaches now?
I agree. I think that upping the offense like this to compensate for the overpowered defense (shields) is not the right path
I think that adding more and more stuff when we have already achieved a decent balance isn't the right path. I think anecdotal evidence and feelings are a poor measure of what is or isn't broken. You guys want to readjust another factor of the game simply because the current solution isn't the way you envisioned Brawl+ to be. There is nothing wrong with S-canceling. Myself and many others have been TRYING to break the game with it, but to no avail. It simply makes slow characters more viable, as it gives them great approaches. Go back and re-read my section about the slow characters options out of an S-cancel and argue those. None of you actually spent much time debating about that, yet that is what this argument is about when you get right down to it. None of you seem to even realize that a Dedede fair -> grab is actually way better than Ganon's fair or Ike's fair. I know this, and I still don't think S-canceling is remotely broken.

Shield stun though, is a big can of worms that S-canceling couldn't even hope to be compared with. If you really want to tip the game in favor of offense, that would be the way to do it.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I stated this before, but the thread once more got swept away with canceling debates...

I'm currently using 13% hit stun, it feels good. How does 15% feel? I need to test it (obviously) but is it so rediculous that it's always a 0-death? Basically, is it broken in any way?

EDIT: Again, I must ask. Does the hitstun hack work on CPUs? It didn't seem to be working correctly in that it seemd they were able to move when they should have been stunned.

MookieRah2

Smash Cadet
I'm currently using 13% hit stun, it feels good. How does 15% feel? I need to test it (obviously) but is it so rediculous that it's always a 0-death? Basically, is it broken in any way?
13% and 15% are too much. At 10% Falcon is capable of nairing most of the cast across FD and landing a knee, all being a legit combo in the practice mode O_O.

Granted, you couldn't do that on a human opponent who understands DI, but I think 10% is, at the minimal, enough, and quite possibly be a bit too much stun. I'd like to test it more to see what 10% is capable of before I switch to a lower percent, because the little bit extra stun that I think might be too much might be what is needed to counteract the fact that knockback is more intense in brawl than the other two smash games.

Decible

Smash Rookie
Brawl floatyness equals gayness..gravity mod ftw. I play with 15% hitstun and its awesome. I think peeps should release a bunch of codes and allow people to create their own versions of brawl. I honestly would like to see basically a melee with brawl chars rofl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Bah, I was typing up a reply, but I'm working right now. By the time I got back to it, I kinda lost my enthusiasm. I read all your stuff though, Mookie. My homo friend doesn't like playing with hacks, but If I can convince him, we'll experiment more with S. I wasn't going off of feeling though, I've messed around with all the hacks so far.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I have pretty much lost enthusiasm over this debate as well. I have a feeling that once we get it, ppl will see its not that bad similar to auto l canceling. I think the shield game is really missing to add excitement.

MookieRah2

Smash Cadet
I wasn't going off of feeling though, I've messed around with all the hacks so far.
Well you didn't post much evidence for your reasonings. You told me that S-canceling sounds like it's too good, and site your ideals. I can't argue with subjective information. The only thing that resembles evidence of something that you could check is when told me that Ike's fair is unpunishable, but I already discussed that it has a slow startup time and you can intercept if you know he is going to use it. Intercepting isn't the only thing that thwarts it either.

There is a very big difference between something that is really good and something that breaks the game.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Sorry to copy-pasta this, but I'd like whatever help I can get from whomever.

I feel like a scrub asking for this, but I can't really get the codes to work outside of the premade pack. Would anyone be so kind as to put together this set of codes for me in a neat little pre-constructed pack?

1.15x Gravity Mod (or 1.175)
1.1x Damage Mod
Melee Air Dodge
No Tripping
L-Cancel
Infinite Replay (Optional)
13% hitstun mod (10 and 15% variations would also be appreciated)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Guy helped me, wooooooooo!

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Yeah I just tested 13% and... it's quite broken. :p I just U tilted D3 with Mario until 70%... Same result with U smash... I think either 10 or 11% should be used. And I was using no gravity mods either.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
Idk about normal brawl but with gravity 1.165, 13% is no where near broken but i think its perfect

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Idk about normal brawl but with gravity 1.165, 13% is no where near broken but i think its perfect
I just freakin u tilited the crap outta D3 until 70% effortlessly on normal Brawl gravity.... and the u smash too, plus the combos are really easy to pull off.

But then again your using gravity mods which I'm not because it does so many bad things to the game more that it does good.

poklin

Smash Apprentice
lol i like how every time gravity is brought up some one has to go on about how they don't like it lmao to funny. But ya me and my friends play 1.165 with 13% for a few hours and it amazing we couldn't find anything near broken.

MBlaze

Smash Champion
Alright Zxeon I think your right, anywhere between the range of 10-12% should be fine for the regular gravity. I'm leaning more towards 10 or 11%.

Anyone want to play me to test this out?

Codes on:

Auto L cancel
Hitstun (12%)
No tripping

kupo15

Smash Hero
I just freakin u tilited the crap outta D3 until 70% effortlessly on normal Brawl gravity.... and the u smash too, plus the combos are really easy to pull off.

But then again your using gravity mods which I'm not because it does so many bad things to the game more that it does good.
Was this with humans?
Im starting to see 15% being too much myself...

MookieRah2

Smash Cadet
lol i like how every time gravity is brought up some one has to go on about how they don't like it lmao to funny.
That's because gravity is bad. It nerfs everyone's jump heights, nerfs a lot of characters recoveries, nerfs vertical KO moves, and it buffs horizontal KO moves. For all the problems it fixes, it creates many more problems. This isn't a good fix. The ideal solution to achieve what we want would be to have shorter short hops and faster fast falls. This wouldn't effect recoveries, full jump lengths, or KOs.

Anything above 10% stun is too much. With 10% stun Falcon can string together nairs on Bowser across the length of FD and dair spike him, all being a legit training mode combo. This would never work against a human opponent worth his weight due to DI; however, that is plenty of hit stun to allow for effective combos. In fact, it may very well be too much.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
13% is great...

13% is perfect if you ask me. I tested it with some friends tonight, his Falcon was immensely more effective... which is fine by me. His main is Snake... let's just say I utterly destroyed him. Which usually is more difficult... That's not a bad thing, because he didn't know about the added hit stun (I wanted to see if he'd notice) and secondly, I've been practicing and making up combos... I was more than ready for his o so whorish snake dashing... :)

I'm going to try to get some videos up... Though, unfortunately I can't promise the quality to be anything special. I'm going to use my sister's regular camera as a video camera. I primarily played with Sheik and Falco, and he played Snake and Falcon.

This game is infinitely better with hitstun-- it's not even funny. I can't believe hitstun was near non existent before, such a rediculous move on the devs behalf.

It makes sense to reward a player for getting an attack in. It makes sense to be able to combo from a throw on a regular basis. It worked in 64, Melee, and was drastically different in Brawl. Overall, the game is much better now!

poklin

Smash Apprentice
That's because gravity is bad. It nerfs everyone's jump heights, nerfs a lot of characters recoveries, nerfs vertical KO moves, and it buffs horizontal KO moves. For all the problems it fixes, it creates many more problems. This isn't a good fix. The ideal solution to achieve what we want would be to have shorter short hops and faster fast falls. This wouldn't effect recoveries, full jump lengths, or KOs.
Ya to bad none of that really matters because frankly its not much different he changes to short hops and fast falls HEAVY outweight the ohhh no smaller jump heights and a FEW characters recoveries that really once again make not much of a difference, But like most people that complain about it i will assume you have never even tryed it or else you would see how much none of that matters. but then again you would probably just say other wise anyways.... not that it matters to me 1 bit.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I meant Sheik's.

I'm not sure that Sheik's tilt actually creates hitstun, as it doesn't put one into the tumbling animation. Though, given the nature of this lock, it's still deadly. To make Sheik godly, making Snake look like he's low tier, you have to be more creative then just the simple Ftilt. Ftilt however is still key to every bit of her comboing. For example, down tilt, and uptilt create the tumbling animation, as such hitstun is created, you can then once you've stunned the enemy trap them in ftilt lock, and repeat. It's not quite as easy as it sounds, the enemy can DI.. but you can get really creative. I'm actually uploading a video to youtube.. Sheik happens to be one of my mains so you'll see how Sheik, with hitstun, is definately a contender for top tier.

For the record, I main
Falco
Sheik
ICs

though... for some reason ICs have taken a back seat lately. Also, I've yet to test them with hitstun.

Top Bottom