• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hitting First Hit of Boost Kick

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
The Smash 4 community has known for awhile now that first hit of multi-hit UpBs are very powerful if you only connect the first hit. Proven examples include Roy, Peach and even Samus. Since Boost Kick is multi-hit we've searched for this destructive first hit, but (to my knowledge) it was never found.

Well during an Anthers Ladder match today I found it, and it is powerful. I have not tested on how to only connect the first hit, but I wanted to inform you guys that it is possible for ZSS to use this tool.

Here is a visual representation of me hitting it:
Gfycat
YouTube

I hope this isn't old news, please tell me if it is.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
It's news to me. I investigated this after some reverse up B stuff was found with Peach. I only looked at ZSS' reverse boost kick, and it seems you did a regular forward boost kick. You also were effectively in contact with Pikachu when it started...

I'll look into this at some point, very good find.

Equin0x

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Th3Equin0x
3DS FC
0189-9475-0972
Yeah, I would've thought it'd be done by B-reversing the kick after landing the first hitbox if it comes out fast enough, but you just angled it forward and he fell out of it. Good find, although in that situation specifically I have to question its usefulness because a full Boost Kick or a drag-up and have him fall out of the last hit probably would have done it in that scenario.

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Yeah, I would've thought it'd be done by B-reversing the kick after landing the first hitbox if it comes out fast enough, but you just angled it forward and he fell out of it. Good find, although in that situation specifically I have to question its usefulness because a full Boost Kick or a drag-up and have him fall out of the last hit probably would have done it in that scenario.
I wasn't trying for this, it was completely on accident. I didn't space my Boost Kick correctly and this happened.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Well, people are getting better at escaping the boost kick, so finding a way to more consistently do the 1-hit variant could be useful. Especially since there's a massive angular advantage. The last hit of boost kick hits at 50 degrees, and the first hit of boost kick hits at 90 degrees. For reference, 90 degrees is straight up.

Also, the knockback on boost kick's last hit matches the weight based knockback of the first hit at about 40% (both roughly equal KB of 133). At very low percents, this presents a surprise KO option if you manage the grab on a platform. Alternatively, this can be utilized at very high percents, where falling out of boost kick has become unfortunately common.

This will likely be DI dependent though, so getting this right could be tough. However, an opponent that DIs away for fear of the boost kick may actually help... a skimmed reverse boost kick against a foe that DIs away could seal the deal on a first hit boost kick, who knows?

Otterz

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Otterz
Well, people are getting better at escaping the boost kick, so finding a way to more consistently do the 1-hit variant could be useful. Especially since there's a massive angular advantage. The last hit of boost kick hits at 50 degrees, and the first hit of boost kick hits at 90 degrees. For reference, 90 degrees is straight up.

Also, the knockback on boost kick's last hit matches the weight based knockback of the first hit at about 40% (both roughly equal KB of 133). At very low percents, this presents a surprise KO option if you manage the grab on a platform. Alternatively, this can be utilized at very high percents, where falling out of boost kick has become unfortunately common.

This will likely be DI dependent though, so getting this right could be tough. However, an opponent that DIs away for fear of the boost kick may actually help... a skimmed reverse boost kick against a foe that DIs away could seal the deal on a first hit boost kick, who knows?
Hitting the first half on Boost Kick definitely seems harder than other characters, say Peach.

I think the opponent will have to be DI ing behind ZSS for this to work or at least that's how it looks. I'm not too familiar with the hitbox area, but I feel that your opponent might need to be inside you similar to Puff's rest or at least close like that. This is all speculation from the visuals.

pichuthedk

Smash Lord
Hmm now that we are talking about people getting out of it and the first hit.

I suppose it's safe to assume if some wacky events happen, when we hit with the first hit and they get out if they somehow come back in for the last hit or something.

Would the move have staled still?
Up b -> them popping out -> them randomly di'ING back in for the last hit (s)

Because of low % and no rage of course.

Dr. Tuen

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0559-7294-8323
Rough (and I mean ROUGH) testing on a stand-still character has generally failed to produce the first hit boost kick, regardless of reversing, angles, and percent. My current hypothesis is that it's DI dependent. Which... could be good! If this ONLY hits when someone has their DI set away from you... then all you have to do is scare them into it. How? With all those other up air related shenanigans we have. Strike the fear of the rocket heels into their heart and they will DI away. This could help set them up for the one hit wonder.

I'll see what else I can dig up. It's a very interesting prospect, for sure.

Top Bottom