• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hmm..maybe my brother is just better than me...

teeman92

Smash Lord
Pensacola, FL. That place that Tristen de Luna fou
he claims his main is marth,he has good reflexs,he claims that he is just good in-game,and never learned a adv tech,maybe he is just good and fighting games or something, i play stock games yesterday(3 life), we played 15 times and i never won,its stupid...

all the techs i know are mostly shine tricks with fox

-how do i escape/avoid shiek's dash attk to fair (i tried shiekd grabbing,but he is too quick,he spot dodges as soon as i grab him)

-my bro insta-nairs me when i try to combo,ertremely annoying
- i tend to get grab alot,and get combo easliy
- its kinda hard to shine-spike
-sometime get grabbed while i smash
-shine is sometime broken(it wont fend shiek off)
- smashing is HARD to hit with, either missed, or he punishes me because of the lag

,he quits more easily in smash now because my losing streak,he plays shiek, why do fox get stunned so much in the air? do i have to main a shiek myself or someone else? did he got me to a point that there nothing will work? if theres no way,i might as well avoid playing my little 13 yr old brother

SCOTU

Smash Hero
he claims his main is marth,he has good reflexs,he claims that he is just good in-game,and never learned a adv tech,maybe he is just good and fighting games or something, i play stock games yesterday(3 life), we played 15 times and i never won,its stupid...

all the techs i know are mostly shine tricks with fox

-how do i escape/avoid shiek's dash attk to fair (i tried shiekd grabbing,but he is too quick,he spot dodges as soon as i grab him)

-my bro insta-nairs me when i try to combo,ertremely annoying
- i tend to get grab alot,and get combo easliy
- its kinda hard to shine-spike
-sometime get grabbed while i smash
-shine is sometime broken(it wont fend shiek off)
- smashing is HARD to hit with, either missed, or he punishes me because of the lag

,he quits more easily in smash now because my losing streak,he plays shiek, why do fox get stunned so much in the air? do i have to main a shiek myself or someone else? did he got me to a point that there nothing will work? if theres no way,i might as well avoid playing my little 13 yr old brother
- don't get hit by the dash attack. it will combo into a fair.
- follow up your attacks quicker (i.e. make sure you're l canceling/ jumping asap)
- grab: l cancel more, combo: DI away (unless he's trying to kill you)
- shine spike isn't the best way to edgeguard sheik, try edgehogging & forcing her to go to the stage, the ledge hopping a drillshine, bair, or just getting up and smashing.
- the shine is always broken (broken in the good way, your "fend sheik off" comment doesn't make much sense, shines kill people, not fend them off)
- that's because you're not doing it while he's in lag.

teeman92

Smash Lord
- don't get hit by the dash attack. it will combo into a fair.
- follow up your attacks quicker (i.e. make sure you're l canceling/ jumping asap)
- grab: l cancel more, combo: DI away (unless he's trying to kill you)
- shine spike isn't the best way to edgeguard sheik, try edgehogging & forcing her to go to the stage, the ledge hopping a drillshine, bair, or just getting up and smashing.
- the shine is always broken (broken in the good way, your "fend sheik off" comment doesn't make much sense, shines kill people, not fend them off)
- that's because you're not doing it while he's in lag.
i said that the only tech i know were shine-tricks but anywho...

- i jump alot, i use this often though: short-hop, shine cancel jump-bair. its a jump over shiek and bair move

-L-canceling is hard to master,just practiced it and i gave up,it never pops up,ill try again
-edgeguarding is kinda hard too,im too skeptic to edgeguard sometime(i dont wanna mistakfully,fall off and get edgeguarded)
-oh ok i get,smash him while in lag,kinda like chess

youre in Michigan university?? awsome,whats it like in college? i may go Florida,Florida state, dont know who's better though

clowsui

Smash Legend
i said that the only tech i know were shine-tricks but anywho...

- i jump alot, i use this often though: short-hop, shine cancel jump-bair. its a jump over shiek and bair move

-L-canceling is hard to master,just practiced it and i gave up,it never pops up,ill try again
-edgeguarding is kinda hard too,im too skeptic to edgeguard sometime(i dont wanna mistakfully,fall off and get edgeguarded)
-oh ok i get,smash him while in lag,kinda like chess
my answer? shield
wtf l cancelling pops up all the time, especially if you play fox. master it with link, and then move on to fox >>
it's mistakenly, and it's not that hard - fox's upb and side b cover massive range. just shine them off the edge or nair/bair them, not that hard
no need to say anythin gabout the last part

teeman92

Smash Lord
my answer? shield
wtf l cancelling pops up all the time, especially if you play fox. master it with link, and then move on to fox >>
it's mistakenly, and it's not that hard - fox's upb and side b cover massive range. just shine them off the edge or nair/bair them, not that hard
no need to say anythin gabout the last part
ok, so ill try link's L-cancel

mach5

Smash Journeyman
if you want to be able to beat your brother, you have to WANT to be able to learn newer things (adv techs) just because. i dont think l canceling is the best priority right now. i think its all about the short hops.

ARE YOU CONSISTANT WITH SHORT HOPS?
if you are then try short hops with wave lands. then after that try short hops wave lands then usmashs/grab/jab

usmash is great move it does a lot of damage, and its a good kill move. if you do it right you can either jump past them so he spot dodges then waveland usmash him. it should get him. but if he starts to catch onto you, try waveland grab or waveland behind him and jab then grab/usmash. IT ALL WORKS.

basically its just knowing when to use all these. im not a shining hor fox player that does nothing but shine after every shiffl but i know a good mindgame.

teeman92

Smash Lord
if you want to be able to beat your brother, you have to WANT to be able to learn newer things (adv techs) just because. i dont think l canceling is the best priority right now. i think its all about the short hops.

ARE YOU CONSISTANT WITH SHORT HOPS?
if you are then try short hops with wave lands. then after that try short hops wave lands then usmashs/grab/jab

usmash is great move it does a lot of damage, and its a good kill move. if you do it right you can either jump past them so he spot dodges then waveland usmash him. it should get him. but if he starts to catch onto you, try waveland grab or waveland behind him and jab then grab/usmash. IT ALL WORKS.

basically its just knowing when to use all these. im not a shining hor fox player that does nothing but shine after every shiffl but i know a good mindgame.
short hops with fox is HARD!! i always miss my smashes, no matter what. just no way to hit him at the right time

Nafix

Smash Apprentice
youre in Michigan university?? awsome,whats it like in college? i may go Florida,Florida state, dont know who's better though
Florida dominates Florida State in almost everything between academics and sports.

D

Deleted member

......and most you guys didnt answer the last paragraph.."why fox easily get comboed"
Because hez a fast faller. Dont be complaining about foxes faults lol. Your brother is betetr than u probably, dont use smashes unless u know they will hit.

mach5

Smash Journeyman
maybe you should just quit melee and wait till brawl comes out. that way we can all be bad together (until we all learn advance techs)

teeman92

Smash Lord
maybe you should just quit melee and wait till brawl comes out. that way we can all be bad together (until we all learn advance techs)

hmm a better option would be," cant beat em,join em"

but my bro doesnt know how to help me,he claim he have no stategies and plays by insticnt, but i dont believe him,he says that im predictable,need to try others than fox/falco, and get better by others help but they dont wanna help me since ive been here making the same darn topics...well theres always the "retire" option

EchoesofAngels

Smash Rookie
screw that. these should be your priorities.

Re-evaluate your main character: Fox is a hard beginner character, but can truly be awesome if your quick enough. People will debate, but IMO Sheik is the best beginner character. Marth too.

Learn to short hop and fast fall. Period. Its Smash 101.

If your sticking with fox, good for you. Learning to l cancel and (less importantly) wavedash will make you faster. Learn to jump-cancel upsmash.

With shinespiking, at first, just go for it. You'll probably lose some stocks but its a judgement thing that only comes from experience.

I recently transferred to a university where all my friends do is smash and i was the new guy. I got destroyed everyday of my life. I hate losing more than just about anything so i practiced my *** off and now i am ****** everyone of them. Ahh justice :-)

Keep practicing.

APImagine

Smash Apprentice
I find that everytime I face my friends, if EVERY advance I make ends up being an attempted attack, they will naturally try to hit me back. Common sense, really.

SO, I'm starting to learn to fake attacks to throw them off. It's gotten to the point now where they will always counter if you run at them, so if I acted JUST like I was about to attack, but didn't, I could just wait for the lag of their attack, and then really make MY attack.

This is coming from someone who is nowhere NEAR an expert player, I still have huge amounts to learn, and I'm personally finding this to work quite well.

teeman92

Smash Lord
I find that everytime I face my friends, if EVERY advance I make ends up being an attempted attack, they will naturally try to hit me back. Common sense, really.

SO, I'm starting to learn to fake attacks to throw them off. It's gotten to the point now where they will always counter if you run at them, so if I acted JUST like I was about to attack, but didn't, I could just wait for the lag of their attack, and then really make MY attack.

This is coming from someone who is nowhere NEAR an expert player, I still have huge amounts to learn, and I'm personally finding this to work quite well.
i thought of this tactic, but i never seem to hit him at the right time, it like im scared to smash till i screw up..

CHAOSDRAGON88

Smash Ace
Your character determines your strategy, your attack style has an influence also. Try mastering various techniques and viewing many vids. Ask yourself why they do the things they do and what could you do to counter? Human opponents offer the sporadic and unpredictable gameplay that you need to rise to the top, cpu's may lower expectations of opponents.

Top Bottom