• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Home Video Monthly V Results (Port Coquitlam, BC, Can)

Kantrip

Kantplay
Alright basildelta. At least something was recorded, although I think me vs. cheeszeman were my worst matches :( (zssamus </3)

If you could upload those it would be amazing, thankies! :D

Crisis

Smash Ace
I'll do better one of these days.
My matches were generally lead 1 stock, SD 1 stock, and get beat last stock.

and i don't know how to play against mk =(

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Your best bet at beating a Meta Knight:

1. Turn pausing off.
2. As the game is about to start (once the stage has been selected), say you'll be right back and head towards the entrance of the building.

3. Now one of several things can happen:

a) He resets the game. This is technically supposed to result in a loss for him, but it is up to the TO's discretion, but you can argue that it should be a win for you.

b) He does nothing, wonders what you are doing. This is ideal. Wait until there is 15 seconds left in the game (go to Subway or something), then come back. Once time is almost up, shoot lasers at him. Congrats, you just timed a MK out with one laser to win game 1.

4. Now that you won game 1, get brutally destroyed game 2 and game 3 because you are playing against Meta Knight. But at least you won game 1, so congrats! You've come as far as you can possibly go against MK!

Blunted_object10

Smash Master
payout was 20-80 because there were less than 10 teams.

it was correct, just advertised wrong since we expected more than 10 teams.
Then that should of been explained on the tournament thread.

You ignored one important detail:
Yes, but I think you should explain how the pot changes instead of "*Note - Pot splits may change depending on the attendance." But since people don't really care about the situation I will end it there..

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
Fair enough. I agree, actually; I think I should edit the OP with specific pot splits for the future; something to the effect of winner takes all for 4 or fewer teams, 70/30 or 80/20 for 5-8 teams, and 60/30/10 for 9 or more teams. That way, we won't have any confusion about payouts in the future. How does that sound?

We could so something similar for Singles, or course. Perhaps something like 70/30 for 8 or fewer players, 60/30/10 for 9-16 players, 50/25/15/10 for 17-24 players, 55/25/15/10/$10/$10 for 25+ players?

:005:

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
What I do in Victoria tournaments is when we get to the tournament, after everyone has entered (therefore after I know how many people are entered, and how much is in the pot), before any matches are called out or even set, I announce the pot split, and post it on the chalk board. Everyone knows it's entirely dependent on attendance, but it is decided before the tournament proceeds. That way, there's no problems after the tournament.

Have yet to have a problem.

~Firefly~

Smash Hero
That's kinda what we do, but we don't have a chalkboard or anything to write it down on, and it's enough work to get people to stop playing friendlies as it is, let alone make sure everybody knows what the payout is going to be.

:005:

Alphicans

Smash Hero
I'll do better one of these days.
My matches were generally lead 1 stock, SD 1 stock, and get beat last stock.

and i don't know how to play against mk =(
Playing against MK is weird.

A couple general tips:

UpB more often to the ledge. Tornado wrecks sideB recoveries, and it's hard to aim for the ledge from a distance, so mix it up a lot between upB and sideB.

Don't stay on the ledge too long... Tornado will get you, and then you're ****ed. Seriously, falco is helpless in the air. So with that said, try to stay grounded for as long as possible.

Use a lot of nair when he's on a platform above you. It pokes, does good damage and he can't punish it.

Learn to BDacus.

Other than that, don't approach often, don't attack him when he's planking, just make him regrab the ledge more and more, and stay really patient. To deal with Dair camping, you just gotta laser/time bairs. It's hard, but keep in mind MK is gonna be at a serious disadvantage if you get a lead vs him, especially a cg sized lead.

Crisis

Smash Ace
Playing against MK is weird.

A couple general tips:

UpB more often to the ledge. Tornado wrecks sideB recoveries, and it's hard to aim for the ledge from a distance, so mix it up a lot between upB and sideB.

Don't stay on the ledge too long... Tornado will get you, and then you're ****ed. Seriously, falco is helpless in the air. So with that said, try to stay grounded for as long as possible.

Use a lot of nair when he's on a platform above you. It pokes, does good damage and he can't punish it.

Learn to BDacus.

Other than that, don't approach often, don't attack him when he's planking, just make him regrab the ledge more and more, and stay really patient. To deal with Dair camping, you just gotta laser/time bairs. It's hard, but keep in mind MK is gonna be at a serious disadvantage if you get a lead vs him, especially a cg sized lead.
Thanks for the advice. I think I had a stock lead against deap, in both our games, and then he started tornado spamming... and then I lost...after falling into 4 consecutive tornados.
crisis has no trouble being patient lol XD
lol I like camping

breez

Smash Ace
Thanks for the advice. I think I had a stock lead against deap, in both our games, and then he started tornado spamming... and then I lost...after falling into 4 consecutive tornados.

lol I like camping
I'd like to see the areas where he is nadoing. Laser -> Dacus, Laser -> Fsmash, Laser -> Shenanigans are all very valid if a mk starts getting sloppy. All kinds of crazy **** happens when you start shooting MKs out of nado.

Once we start juggling you - yes, you are going to get nado *****. If he's purely using it as a followup move, then you may have some DI/Smash di/Read issues. If he's using it as an approach (grounded or otherwise) you should really be coming out on top in most engagements.

edit: You can also ff b-reverse laser to cancel nado when being combo'd, and turn it on him. You can dair him out of nado, and bair too I think. I also think nair can hit an approaching mk out of nado too, if you're feeling super pro.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Dair works, but the spacing is strict, and you won't be able to hit him out of it if you popped out (usually, I've done it a few time, but usually it's not reliable). Retreating bair is really good vs nado actually. It'll hit him out if you hit the top corner, and since his foot goes up on an angle, it usually works. Nair works too, but it's not something I'd do. Getting sucked into tornado is just not worth it to me. MK gains 100x more than you :/. SideB also works if you phantasm over the top of him... Lots of MKs get surprised by this and think you got lucky or something. I was doing it a lot vs boom one time and people watching thought I was getting really lucky when really I was trying to do it >___>. Oh and you can SideB through tornado (won't hit him out) near the beginning of the move because you're invincible. Again people thought I was getting lucky when I did that lol.

Alphicans

Smash Hero
The best thing to do is just bair when you pop out. It may not be as damaging/rewarding as dairing MK, but it's more reliable. SideBing away is also a viable way to escape.

Top Bottom