• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Honestly, it seems that Smash has become a detterent to Nintendo

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
Lol. Starfox and Metroid have been a bit lacking, but I have never been a huge Metroid fan and Starfox has never had that many games on a single console to be fair. I like the picture though.

Kamikazek

Smash Lord
We're trying to predict what the developers are thinking here which is always going to be far, far into the realm of speculation but it is an interesting question. Here's my two cents.

In terms of smash influencing things that happen in games-certainly this is true to an extent. Like you said it's probably the reason Diddy got a pop-gun in DKR. At the same time while there are examples of things being carried over from Smash it's pretty hard to make a long list so I wouldn't say it's some sort of epidemic like the first post implies, but rather something that happens from time to time. Whether or not you think that is a good thing is up to you.

As for Smash Bros. holding series and characters back, I think it's mostly a case of correlation not causation. The smash series has grown parallel to a gowning trend of taking less risks in the games industry as a whole, not just for Nintendo and I think that is more the reason for why we've seen a curtailing of game serials and characters as of late. Also causing problems if what you want to see is a lot of returning character and such is the recent Retro revival movement which feels the need to cut games back to the way they were as of their first successful game and cutting out anything newer. Also also there's the fact that by the time of the gamecube or so Nintendo had so many staple serials that they had to make sequels for that finding the development time to create and sustain new I.P.s became difficult, especially with games taking longer to develop than they used to. Another correlation is that what is considered "safe" just happens to be in Smash Bros., and that's because Smash Bros. is a gathering of Nintendo's most famous characters. Diddy Kong is in Smash Bros. because he is by far the second most important DK character, he isn't the second most important DK character because he's in Smash Bros.. Yes sometimes Sakurai being Sakurai decides to put a more obscure character/series in the mix and that gives them a notable bost-but I don't think it drags anyone down in the process. Fire emblem got ported because of the popularity of Marth and Roy in Smash Bros. yes, but it's not like Tomato Adventure or something would have gotten ported but didn't because it didn't have a smash rep., or like balloon fighter's big revival got cut because of Pit being in Brawl or anything. Instead without smash in those two cases we probably would have gotten no games ported and no revivals, Smash is really more adding than taking away. And being in Smash isn't a garentee someone will get a sudden resurgence anyway because Ice Climbers.

Hypercat-Z

Smash Lord
The first Smash game was truly a celebration of Nintendo's history.
Nope! It was more like a discount of Nintendo chars that, by luck, gained more popularity than Nintendo expected.
They weren't as serious with it as they were with SSB Melee. That's why the step to the second episode was and and will remain the biggest in the whole series.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I disagree with a couple of things.

First of all, a series, no matter how small, is "cemented" in Nintendo history once it provides a playable character in SSB.
Even if it's just one, that series will forever be remembered by all smash players and more. Most Nintendo fans I know don't aknowledge series that aren't in SSB.

My next point is... A series doesn't depend on Smash Bros. to continue. Look at Ice Climbers, their Melee appearance meant squat for their series. And look at Lucas, Shigesato Itoi keeps repeating he's done with the Mother series. Star Fox has THREE characters, one would think they'll make yearly games of Star Fox, but no...

Now let's look at the other side..

Punch Out got another game, which probably started production before Little Mac was even confirmed assist trophy (and their models aren't even alike).
Pilot Wings got a sequel, despite not even getting stickers in Brawl.
I would like to mention Sin & Punishment 2, and Golden Sun Dark Dawn, but I'm not sure if it counts since Saki and Isaac were assist trophies.

Small franchises reps won't leave smash for their uniqueness, and precisely so they're remembered constantly.
Notice how the cuts from Melee to Brawl were about huge franchises.
Dr.Mario = Mario
Young Link = Zelda
Pichu and Mewtwo = Pokemon
Roy = Fire Emblem.

DarrylTrainer

Smash Apprentice
I still think that this is a terrible way to represent the important games to Nintendo. Their focus will always be Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Donkey Kong, Kirby, and Starfox. Other series will not be nearly as prominent. Even Pikmin. I think that this game dictates very little when it comes to what games are going to be released. Many new characters, or in the case of Pit, the reintroduction of characters, just get the fans asking for certain games. If the demand is high enough, they will supply it.
How could you forget Pokémon? It's the second most successful video game series behind Mario!
image.jpg

Fenrir VII

Smash Master
Smash is a behemoth now. It has turned into a franchise-maker and system-seller, and Nintendo would be hurting without it.

That said, it's irrefutable that being included in Smash greatly increases a character's/series' popularity. Look at FE, KI, Earthbound, etc. That translates to those franchises doing much better than they would otherwise.

However, I don't think that you can say that not being included hurts a series... Of course a series like golden Sun would do a lot better if Isaac were included (and I think Nintendo is well aware of this), but if it isn't included.... it'll do as well as it would if Smash didn't exist.

Now to the other main point that you made.... about how Smash affects characters and their franchise games by setting a "canon" for them.
I'm having trouble with this one because I can't remember one instance of a smash moveset defining anything about the franchise games. Diddy had the popgun and rocket barrel from 64, so Brawl didn't invent that. KI: Uprising didn't use a whole heck of a lot from Pit's Brawl moveset (and smash is actually being updated to use Uprising attacks), and Marth is in so many FE's because... Marth is the most important and historic FE character... I really don't think Smash factors into that decision too much. You might make the case that Shadow Dragon was made because USA players never got to see him in his original game... but how is that a bad thing?

DeathFox137

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Tech137
my bad i thought the blue spinning platform was from pilotwings
Actually that thing is called Helirin. He is from a game called Kuri Kuri Kurrurin. It is a puzzle game and a very fun one I may add. Just to let you know.

Double Helix

Smash Journeyman
I forgot to mention Pokemon because, honestly, I don't play them, but more importantly, I didn't think they were made by Nintendo. I thought they were made by a different company that had a contract of sorts with Nintendo. Not like it changes my post much or my point. I really don't think I am incorrect in assuming that those games, and I guess Pokemon, will continue to be the main focus.

I believe Star Fox could make a comeback. I could be wrong though. As it is now, the series will die.

But yeah, this entire post is summed up in correlation is not equal to causation. Exact same reason why scientific theories are not natural law. The only difference is, those theories can be proven. This never will be. Interesting post, but oh well.

Top Bottom