• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hope 8! Melee/3DS Results!

M@v

Subarashii!

Melee Singles(39 entrants)

Hope 8 Top 16
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Abate
$230.40
2nd
Nakamaru
$115.20
3rd
The Lake
$38.40
4th
Phukerite Indapuzy
5th
Kofi
5th
Machiavelli
7th
JMOAN
7th
Yardo
9th
Jbro
9th
Moses
9th
M@v
9th
Beanwolf
13th
DougJ
13th
Gohan
13th
Lady
13th
Life

Pools Cutoff (8 pools, top 2 advanced):

3rd seeds:
ChocolateChipCooke
Graphite Zephlin
Atari
Jarvitz
Little Mac
Blue Dew
Thrik
TDI

4th seeds:
The Jets
Pillz
Drew
Naz
David the Bowser Guy
Pete
Gerb
Dusty

5th seeds:
Bear
Rebnave
Win
Master Sergeon
Ninja Waffles
Goggles
Lemonwater

3DS Singles (19 Entrants)
Hope 8 3DS Singles
Rank
Player
Characters
User
1st
Phoenix Dark
$61.75
2nd
Space Thing
$23.75
3rd
Rend
$9.50
4th
Nova remnant
5th
Life
5th
Moses
7th
Od
7th
Chosen 1UP
9th
Jarvitz
9th
Freezus
9th
Blue Dew
9th
M@v
13th
Crews
13th
Win
13th
Jacob
13th
Jbro
17th
Lemonwater
17th
Rebnave
17th
Goggles

MELEE DOUBLES (11 Teams)

1: BlackSwan (Naka + Lake)
2: Abate + M@v
3: Mach + Phukerite Indapuzy(Taki)
4: Jbro+Carroll
5: Kofi + Lady
5: Blue Dew+Win
7: Drew+Pete
7: The Jets + Pillz
9: Dusty+Little Mac
9: Beanwolf+DTBG
9: Abby+Jacob

Thanks for coming everyone! I'll leave shout outs in a separate post.

Last edited:

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
Shout outs and gg's to all, but I want to make special mention to the two people who knocked me out of the tournament:

Mr. Lake, those Zelda dittos were really enjoyable (and surprisingly aggressive)! It looks like I need to use more than bair/fair to win. You're definitely a fun guy to play with. Play me more, teach me your spacing!

Mr. Kofi, I REALLY want to play friendlies with you. Playing against you feels like playing a brand new Smash game; it's fun because I feel like I need to dramatically change my approach when I fight you. It's not the same ol' game of Melee. Yoshi can't move like that, I swear!

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
Even though I was half asleep the entire time, I had a ton of fun at this tournament. I always love watching people play Melee and chatting it up with people. 3DS tournament had a lot of variety in characters and was a blast. A lot of smart solid players. Like, no one I played had any true bad habits. All really good games and leaves the Pittsburgh scene nowhere to go but up, which is awesome! If anyone would ever like to get some practice in, please feel free to message me saying you added me and I'll add you back. Look forward to getting a lot of practice in against our wide variety of characters in the scene.

Shout outs:

Space Thing: Got to play you in two sets haha. Really good games. Awesome Lucario and Greninja. Greninja has some real shenanigans haha. Some which I was not aware of. Very fun matches. Even the one that went to time without us noticing.

Rend: I've heard the Bowser hype, but wasn't buying into it. Then I played this guy lol. Legit 0-death on my first stock first match haha. Had to go hard mode to come back man. Bowser is so much faster in this game, wow haha. Oh and that Brinstar pick. I was so in disbelief that Brinstar was legal haha. Super smart counter pick man. Hope to get some more training on wifi soon!

Chosen 1UP: I'm 99% sure you're the Olimar I played in friendlies after the tournament was over. Very fun games and I learned a ton about the character in the few matches we played. No one uses Olimar anymore, but he still has some real options. Hope to play against and learn more about your Olimar man.

Jarvitz: Find a main, haha. JK man, it'll come naturally. Don't force it. Once you find that character you feel completely comfortable with, things will come much easier. You seemed pretty stressed over who to use and what stages to ban. A ton of that will go away when you dial in on that character that you feel really connects with your playstyle. Don't stress it though. I'm sure when the Wii-U version comes out and you have an actual controller, you'll find that character quick.

M@v: As always, great venue. Awesomely ran tournament. Things seemed to run super smooth from my perspective. Always enjoy playing you, even if I was super salty with myself after sd'ing twice first match at such low percents lol. Obviously looking forward to more tournaments with the Wii-U release and playing you more. Was really surprised to see you knocked out so early, but you seemed to be doing really well in Melee. Don't think I could handle playing two games that play so differently, man.

Crews: I TAKE MY OPPONENTS OUT BACK! THEY DON'T RETURN! Haha some close games man. B-throw kills DDD at 105% on yoshi's, wut?! Good seeing you again man. Like everyone else, I look forward to playing you more. Getting matched up in the first round was pretty lulzy considering we were both about to make a joke about it. M@v reading minds over there.

Awesome guys I hung out with at the old people table as I now call it when looking back: Thanks for showing up and not smelling like McDonalds and bad hygiene. I was honestly contemplating leaving for a while until you guys sat down at my table, officially dubbing us the old man crew lol. Your guys chatter about Melee and other gamecube games reminded me why I love playing the series so much and truly gave me a reason to stay. Sorry I didn't say goodbye before leaving. I was literally about to fall asleep and I still had to go to work last night lol. Got about half way home before I realized I forgot to talk to you guys before heading out. You all should definitely come back though if you had fun. Look forward to it.

Everyone that played Melee: I really didn't talk to anyone I don't think, but I always enjoy watching the matches. I got home and put the stream up while getting ready for work. Saw the most legit set of Ganon dittos on some amazing stages haha. A tournament set at that. Was amazing. Thanks for putting on a great show.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
3ds players: What stages did you guys play on? What did you think? I'd like to hear feedback.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
I think I played pretty much on all of them except for tomadochi life, which seems like a perfectly fine counter. I didn't realize brinstar was a cp, so that caught me off guard. Lava seemed really strong. Killed bowser at low 100% IIRC. With that said, I still think it's an ok cp. I'd personally ban it every set though, as it's a bit too out there for me to want to play on. On a side note, are the blast zones on the sides of Yoshi's Island really small? I killed DDD with a bthrow at like 105%.

Novaremnant

Smash Rookie
Had a lot of fun, never actually was into the competitive/tournament scene until I met my friends and they dragged me in. I hope to see all the 3DS players at Fight Pitt in a few weeks!

@ M moses : That Rosalina play was fantastic. The only Rosalina experience I have is a match or two with my friend, so I had no idea what to expect. We should smash again sometime!

@ Space thing Space thing : That Lucario play completely outdid me, gotta give you props. And thanks for the advice on Little Mac's down tilt, I'll have to practice more with that. Hope we can find time to smash over Wifi when I can get around my university's network block.

@ Phoenix_Dark Phoenix_Dark : We talked a bit but I didn't get a chance to Smash with you. I'm friends with Rend, though, so hopefully we can get some matches in. I want to see that Sonic in action.

@Everyone else I played but didn't catch the names of : I had a really fun time playing with you guys. Not having a wifi access point has made my match experience low, so it was fun to finally get to play with more than just my local buddies. Not that there's anything wrong with them, of course.

@ M@v M@v : I remember playing on Yoshi's Island, Battlefield, one or two matches on FD and two on both Brinstar and Arena Ferox.

I don't know a whole lot about counterpicks and the like, but I made an effort to never play on Tomodachi Life. It seems like it'd be really rough for a Little Mac or anyone else without a lot of vertical ability, because a Rosalina or anyone else could easily time out their opponent by staying far away. Brinstar was also really rough on me, and I know I managed to break the center with an ill-placed downsmash leading to an untimely death, and a Bowser dair'd through it. Don't remember much about how the lava hurt, though.

The neutral picks seemed good, though. Had no complaints about Arena Ferox.

Space thing

Smash Apprentice
Shout outs to outdoor smash and delicious sandwiches.

Man, I had a great time at this. I'm really happy with how I did as well. I was worried about lag issues, but fortunately it looks like that wasn't a problem.

Phoenix Dark: GGs man. That sonic. Kinda wished I saved our games, oh well.

Rend: GGs. Your bowser is pretty damn good. Hope to see you at a tournament again. And see you on wifi.

Nova remnant: GGs. Good Little Mac. Hope to see you at a tournament again. And see you on wifi.

Life: GGs. sorry for timing you out lol. Nice seeing and talking with you as always.

Jarvitz: Good to see you again after so long. You'll figure what characters to use eventually.

Freezus: GGs.

Blue Dew: GGs.

M@v: Thanks for hosting another one of these. It was really great; a lot of little things really made the experience. And nice talking with you.

And in regard to the stages, I personally had no real issues with any of the stages and I have nothing in particular to say about any of them. I mostly played on the starters, though. I didn't play on Arena Ferox in tournament at all, but it seems alright.

I would personally like more starters. Honestly, I never liked the starter/counter pick distinction and with a stage list this small, I don't see what the big deal would be to just make them all starters (minus Omega Dr.Wily's Castle so the list is an odd number). I doubt anyone will agree with me on this though.

M@v

Subarashii!
^Yeah, people are getting more and more conservative with stage lists these days, its hard to successfully sell liberal ones, even this early on.

Phoenix_Dark

Smash Lord
NNID
Phoenix2337
3DS FC
1289-8343-1385
^Yeah, people are getting more and more conservative with stage lists these days, its hard to successfully sell liberal ones, even this early on.
After playing on both last night, I'd personally label them as true counter picks. Stages that give real advantages to certain characters. Which is the point of a counter pick. I am personally fine with both of them. They're on opposite ends of the spectrum as well. Brinstar forces you to play offensive, while tomadochi life is a very defensive stage. Though I could see a lot of timeouts on the latter for sure. I'm more interested on the stock amount personally. I still don't know how I feel about it. Definite pros and cons.

Last edited:

M@v

Subarashii!
First of all, thanks everyone for coming and making this yet another successful tourney. I always appreciate all the support! As general reminders, hopes from here on out will be pre-pay/pre-reg only, as to allow for quicker start times and quicker breaks.

Shoutouts to Lady for selling those sandwiches at the venue; they were a big hit!

Shoutouts to my mom for the giant bag of free popcorn.

Melee Bracket:
1: Abate - Ggs was a blast teaming; would love to do it again sometime if the chance arises.
2: Nakamaru - Post Tourney EnP trips da bess
3: The Lake - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
4: Phukerite Indapuzy - Can't even beat your drunk falcon *rolls eyes*. Eventually I guess :3
5: Kofi - You might be JMOAN's Demon, lol.
5: Machiavelli - ggs in doubles.
7: JMOAN - Thanks for coming out; see ya at FPV!
7: Yardo - Still losing to this character even with the falco training I did at Big house :(
9: Moses - #pgh9thplacesheiks
9: Jbro - #pgh9thplacesheiks
9: Beanwolf - #pgh9thplacesheiks (Thanks for streaming as always; much appreciated!)
9: M@v - #pgh9thplacesheiks
13: DougJ -ggs
13: Life - As always, thanks for coming.

3ds bracket:
1: Phoenix Dark - Old man coming out of retirement whooping everyone's ass; sounds about right. Just wait for Wii U version and I'll put you back where you belong ;)
2: Space Thing - Great seeing you again; hope to see you at future weeklies and smash 4 events. If we had kept up the brawl training you would of kept getting better and better at it; smash 4 will be the same methinks.
7: Chosen 1UP ggs
9: Jarvitz -Thanks for bringing the stream equipment even though Carmen decided against it.
9: M@v - Man, you suck at 3ds LOL.
9: Blue Dew - ENP tripsss
13: Crews - Another old fart coming out of the woodwork.

My Melee pool: ggs to all.

Stay tuned for the next hope! I'm guessing December or January. There may be a special edition of Hope that will happen as well; stay tuned for details on that as well if it materializes :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom