• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hoping for some VERY basic advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sea

Smash Rookie

Hello Pit Board. I haven't posted on these forums since February 2008, almost a year now, and it was Pit himself who drew me back to the community because it turns out that I am very bad at video games and was hoping for some simple advice.

1. Pit's Grab From what I understand, Pit's grabs are "top tier". My basic, amateur understanding of Pit's grabs were to DownThrow into an UpSmash or to UpThrow into an UpAir, and his side grabs were best employed at lower percentages and rushing with a dash attack. However, if I'm not mistaken, his SideGrabs are great for chain grabs at low percentages. But I can't seem to quite figure out how it works.

I thought it was as simple as throwing in one direction, then dashing, and grabbing them again. But it seems whenever I try this, my opponent has no trouble being either being very far away or rolling away, and in some cases they seem to just "wake up" and retaliate. What am I doing wrong?

-I have only tried after respawns, when opponents are at 0%.

My other question is, what is the best way to grab an opponent? When I play, it is so rarely somebody (both CPU and seasoned players who I do inevitably lose to) manages to grab me that I don't really know how it works. I know how not to be grabbed, but whenever I try to dash grab I miss or try to shield grab I get smacked. I understand the mechanic of pivot grabbing, but am not good at it.

2. Arrow Looping Is this something I can effectively employ at a competitive level? I have seen plenty of videos of Rogue and others pulling it off, but I can't help but wonder about the skill level of the opponent. If it is something that can be done, when is it best used?

3. Angel Ring I've done this by accident and seen other people do it by accident, but I can't find a definitive answer of how this is done. When approaching somebody from the air and connecting with Angel Ring from above, in some cases, Pit lands on the ground and slides forward almost a full Bowser length, increasing the effectiveness of Angel Ring almost 3x. How is this done?

4. Wings of Icarus Is there any benefit to using Wings of Icarus at a ground level to execute Pit's aerials without jumping, similar to Peach's floating mechanic? Obviously it would not be employed as effectively, since Pit stops floating after one attack, but I manage to be bad at even Short Hopping so I've been wondering of the lag of Wings of Icarus is safely manageable to pull off a BackAir without jumping.

5. Mirror Shield How is pivoting Pit's shield upward best used? In all the fights I've ever had, I've never tilted upward to cover Pit's head. Any projectile I've encountered comes straight, and turning somebody around only works for a few frames after the initial animation. Does it do anything practical other than protect you from Samus' Final Smash?

6. Smash Attacks This is something I just hope to have confirmed, that I most likely already know the answer to, but thought I'd ask anyway. Does the state of Pit's bow (together or separate) have any effect on his forward smash? It seems like I best connect when Pit's bow is initially in one piece, but I figure it's most likely due to just that. I'm just connecting better, and nothing more.

Thanks in advance.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Im no Pit main but I can help you.

1.Pits throws are freakishly strong if you throw in the right direction at certain percentages.
Upward throw can kill if you aim your arrows correctly after throwing upwards. It works great on characters who die quickly at cielings like Peach. At low percentages Pits grabs are also good for throwing up combos.. Like a down throw into a down air. Or back throw into back air. Forward throw into forward air... then followed by another down air or his side b move.

2. Arrow curving does NOT help that much in matches.. My friend Riku00 does it frequently and it almost never hits me. From my experience it is best to do it when you start the match so when your opponent is running towards you they get hit stunning them hence letting you start a combo on them or do a strong forward smash.

3. I have no idea what this is try the Question and Answer thread on the Pit boards or ask my friend Riku00

4. My friend does this all the time and I think its pretty cool. It also throws me off guard by slightly moving me upwards into the air allowing him to down air me at high percentages leading to a KO. Ask Riku00 again on how to do it or Question and Answer.

5. The shield is basically good in my opinion for when your own shield is about to break. Whenever I am playing as Peach and try to start a Dair combo on my opponent as Pit they regular shield and when I am about to break it they then move there shield around in my direction throwing me totally off and allowing them to sneak in a strong attack. It is also good to move it upwards towards Pit's head when a Character like Mario or Ganondorf is coming in for a forward aerial.

6. No but it does have a sweet spot.

Hope this helps D: ... Pit is a Secondary for me.

Edit: Yea on 700th post :D

Sea

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the help, and congratulations on your 700th post. Peach is my secondary, by the way. I wish I did her the justice I could pull off in Melee, but I just can't break my old habits which are no longer effective.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Thanks for the help, and congratulations on your 700th post. Peach is my secondary, by the way. I wish I did her the justice I could pull off in Melee, but I just can't break my old habits which are no longer effective.
Haha.. Glad I can help :D
And thats pretty cool how me and you both have vice versa mains and secondaries. I didn't play as Peach in Melee that much Mr. Game & Watch was my player. So when I went to Brawl I just picked Peach up randomly one day and I freaking loved her. Then one day I popped in Melee and it was totaallllyy different. I was trying to string togther combos and be very strategic but it wasnt working well. In melee she is just the character that runs straight into battle with aggressive attacks and owns. Brawl is alike but you have to know what you are doing Ex: Glide toss -> D-air -> D-air -> D-air -> U-air -> N-air (If you angle correctly two hits.) -> B-air (if they are at low enough percentages) -> Down tilt -> Utilt. Racking a ton of damage. In Melee you just run in and D-smash and you got yourself 48 damage if pulled off right. I dont like that attack though because it puts you too open afterwards.. Peach in brawl is more Defensive and can be amazing if practiced alot.. Thats why I use her.

If you ever need any help just contact me :D

Im adding you to my friends list :)

Sea

Smash Rookie
Hey, cool. Thanks. =)

I'll add you too, once I get more time to figure out the CP.

choice_brawler

Smash Journeyman
Wow this is a fail thread, someone should close this <.< next time ask questions in the right place or actually look around the forum for your answers. Pointless threads just make forums cluttered and the real content is hidden.

Coffee™

I need it....
Wow this is a fail thread, someone should close this <.< next time ask questions in the right place or actually look around the forum for your answers. Pointless threads just make forums cluttered and the real content is hidden.
You answering like this makes you no better. Next time simply direct him to the appropriate thread and mod will lock the thread if necessary.

Sea

Smash Rookie
Nice to meet you too, Choice Brawler. I apologize for cluttering a nearly dead forum that had two people viewing when I posted.

I will post in the appropriate thread next time, but there was no need for the attitude.

Sea

Smash Rookie
Oh, and for clarification: I believe I made reference to me watching videos and doing other research before I posted on this forum. I've been lurking these forums for a long time, and made this account (like I said) just to post this thread because I hadn't been able to find my information elsewhere.

Thanks for the help.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
Stop being a hoe and *****ing you could've said it nicer.
And his question is answered so I guess a Mod should come through and lock it.. Oh wait they haven't yet prolly cause you didn't report it as spam.

Its not like anyone is on the Pit boards anyways.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
yeah, he got owned pretty hard, but I think ID is one of the best CF out there period. If you watch any his other matches, he is actually pretty impressive.

Chaser

Smash Rookie
Why does nobody play Pit, it can't be his eight year old voice, or his guarder that he wears right near his spandex. I mean his blue arrows of love are not that annoying, or his dumb voices. What an awesome character.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
because he is not broken. Most top tier have advantages over him, and there is alot of ppl playing top tier in tourneys. Good character, but that does not cut it in high level competitions unless your are really good.

kingofshortys

Smash Rookie
i didnt read it... but use him as u would use MK! just mash buttons and then switch channels and watch TV or something

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom