• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hori Mini Pad

LLDL

Smash Hero
No problem, I'll probably make a detailed post and put up some gameplay as well.

LLDL

Smash Hero
CHAiN-ACE's review of the Hori Pad Mini.

I'm confident that this will clear things up for those interested in this controller. I just purchased the "Hori Pad Mini" for N64 on eBay. It was expensive, all listings priced at $72.88. I used a Christmas gift card, but I'm sure most of you will say that the price is outrageous for a controller. I bought it December 29 from Japan, with free air mail shipping. It came today, January 7. This controller is twice as good as I thought it would be. The joy stick is the most flexible, most responsive joy stick on ANY controller for any market. It was worth every penny, for me.

The control stick
Any angle you choose, it responds immediately. It isn't stiff at all. It rolls any which way like butter on your thumb. It has about 8 more achievable angles than the gamecube controller, it's that good. In fact, the stick is slightly larger than the cube's and is more maneuverable. I was really excited when I felt it.

Size & Comfortability.
The Hori Pad is about the same size as the gamecube controller, but only slightly smaller. The buttons are in more close proximity to each other than the n64 controller's buttons are. This means if you have big hands, you may have trouble adjusting to the Hori Pad. However, my hands are average to small sized hands, and it felt 100% comfortable. It doesn't feel like a weird third party that feels uncomfortable the first few times using it. I immediately adjusted to it and it felt right when held my hands. It did take about 15 minutes of practicing smash 64 to get used to the button layout, because they are closer to each other than usual. After that practice session, everything feels natural, trust me. The Z button is no longer on the bottom of the controller. There are double z buttons now, and they are right behind the L and R buttons, sort of like L2, R2 buttons on a playstation controller.

Drawbacks
As far as I am concerned, this controller has no drawbacks. The one thing that may be troublesome to a select few, is the fact that the controller is slightly smaller than the gamecube controller. The buttons are in close proximity to each other. This doesn't affect me at all, but if you have beefy hands or fingers, using this controller will take some time to get used to. I don't think that will be a problem for most, because there are people who play Melee thay have beefy hands and play just fine.

Overall Synopsis
This really is the S class controller. I tested it with several other games such as Majora's Mask, Mario Kart 64, and Mario 64. It gives you even more control than the gamecube controller. Although expensive, if you play smash competitively, or play a lot of N64, the Hori Pad is a must have. I would recommend this to anyone that asks me about it, no question. Also, I play a technical Falco in Melee, and main falcon and fox in 64, so I'm not just the average scrub raving about the controller. I know what can make differences at high level play and what not, so rest easy when I say you won't be disappointed if you ever come into possession of one.

PICTURES

Additional information/Compatibility issues

The Hori Pad does have issues connecting with most computer adapters. I don't know what adapters do and don't work with the Hori Pad. I can confirm that the Dual USB adapter doesn't work with the Hori Pad. When I tried it, the buttons assigned correctly but the control stick spazzed out uncontrollably.

I can confirm that using a Gamecube to PC adapter in conjunction with a N64 to Wii/Gamecube adapter works. I am using the Gamemon Universal USB Converter (Connects a Gamecube controller to pc) to connect my pc, and also the Classic Linker 64 (Connects N64 controller to Gamecube port). It works flawlessly this way with no lag.​

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
With that being said, I think I may buy one of those...
Moreover, Where's the Z button located?

blaze3927

Smash Ace
imo the horipad is worse than the official controller if you take out the analog stick factor.
which is fixed by replacing the analog on the official.
The z buttons are small, located behind l and R, in my view they are inferior to the standard controller, especially with the much greater need to Z cancel in smash 64 over other n64 games.
Also for anyone with hands that arent tiny, you need to use 1 finger for both Z and R, or L and Z, not much of a problem, but its an awkward reach.
its a small controller, most hand sizes would engulf this thing,
i bought two, for 1000 yen , and 500 yen respectively. ebay prices are WAY over inflated, the sell locally in japan for like 300 yen, and if you import over japan auction sites, you only end up paying like 3000 yen tops including shipping.
So to sum up good to try, you may like it, but definitely not a must for anyone, and also most usb adapters dont work with it, and even the ones that claim they work are still buggy.

The Star King

Smash Hero
This might sound weird, but I hate controllers where one hand is lower than the other, like on the regular N64 controller.

firo

Smash Ace
I can confirm that using a Gamecube to PC adapter in conjunction with a N64 to Wii/Gamecube adapter works.
Are you saying that you can successfully use the hori pad online? That would be a first. Even the adapter that someone posted back a few pages doesn't work (sigh).

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Are you saying that you can successfully use the hori pad online? That would be a first. Even the adapter that someone posted back a few pages doesn't work (sigh).
omg seriously? why did he confirm it then? suxxx -.-

LLDL

Smash Hero
Yeah. I played a whole bunch of kaillera matches in the Galaxy last night, and it works fine.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
great review and awesome that you found a way to use it online!

my belated christmas present from my girlfriend came today and it happened to be a green hori mini pad! now i have a set of 4. i cant wait for some hori pad team battles.

3mmanu3lrc

Smash Lord
Seems like a girlfriend who knows your likes... :awesome: :p
We're complaining about the price for one of those, and you have 4... :o

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
haha she's awesome. granted, ive been collecting controllers for 3 years so she definitely knows what i like. she bought me an adaptoid for my birthday last year when i couldn't find one for less than $120 online.

hamburglar

Smash Journeyman
haha no she doesn't have a younger sister. but i wish she did for your sake. She is awesome. she watches me play smash all day and gasps loudly every time my character is hit off the stage.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
Girlfriends that like videogames must be really cool... but chances are, they wont be so hot =P

randomguy737

Smash Rookie
Hori Pads can be had for cheaper!

1) Find a Hori Mini pad on Taobao, the Chinese ebay
2) Copy + Paste the link in to the shopping cart on buyfromtaobao.com
3) Pay less via paypal!

(that controller can be found here).

Hope I helped!

doublek642

Smash Apprentice
I got myself one a year or two ago at an online Japanese electronics store. A yellow one for around eighty bucks. Greatest controller ever.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I just ordered one. 71 bucks after shipping, it is a green one that looks like it is in great shape, lets hope it is worth all those clams. . I'll probably do a youtube review.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Hori mini pads son, Red one and a green one. I already gots mint condish regular controllers

I was real surprised when no other SWF'ers checked Ebay in time. Thought I'd have to bid for them.

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
I am jealous, battlecow.

But I'm happy to finally have my Hori ordered, after drooling over them for months. These U.P. newbs are going to get pwned ever harder than usual once I get it and get used the the controller.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Oh man, I'm finally starting to let other people use my horis, just because it's dawning on me that the sticks won't wear out anytime soon. I can finally DI without weighing the importance of the match's outcome first!

Fynal

Smash Journeyman
saw one or two on ebay that say "Japanese version", does that matter, is there a difference?

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Got it in the mail yesterday! Wow it is so much smaller than I was expecting

It is amazing for SM64, Battletanx and I am loving it for smash. I can't wait to play OoT with it

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
Question... Is there any adaptor that will let me use my hori on my wii so that I can use it when I play smash on virtual console?

Shibbypod

BIM
Slippi.gg
SHIB#55
apparantly the L and Z buttons are swapped. It is because the virtual console games all use L as their stand in Z buttons. This of course doesn't matter with the hori pad. I don't mind using L or Z to cancel. They are quarter inch away from each other on the Hori pad. I will probably end up buying this adapter. My friends all like playing on the virtual console, but I want to use this controller. I will write up a brief review of it for you guys, and anyone in the future who wants to know.

Top Bottom