• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Horizontal iDA edgeguard kill?

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
During a match I somehow managed to kill an opponent with a iDA which sent them horizontally instead of straight upwards like usual. To get an idea of what I mean, imagine the knockback angle of the FTilt horizontally and downwards except with a hell lot more power. I'm not sure what the hell happened but from what it looked to me as the opponent attempted to roll back onto the stage I was about one step away just barely out of range of a edge climb attack. I hit them with the last possible frame of the iDA as their invincibility frames ended and the inner hitbox of Ganon seemed to catch them and send them horizontally instead of upwards.

Now I know that no ammount of DI can send an opponent directly downwards from a dash attack. So maybe someone can confirm or reproduce this effect?

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Yes. I have a couple replays of this exact kill (vs Samus). One of my favorite kills ever. I might have double suicided after that kill just to get the replay for an eventual combo vid, honestly. I think it's during the very opening frames of her GUA. I'm going to speculate that her damage was >100% for two reasons, as well. First because that would allow the crazy knockback we're talking about (he's right...it's seriously like fresh FTilt knockback but the downward angle is stronger), and second because the GUAs are significantly slower for each char after 100%. I want to say I've gotten this kill with certain chars (MK?) while they're still hanging without invincibility frames for the same reason you can catch them in aerial gerudo ledge spike while they're hanging: short arms. :lick:

Shadow Nataku

Smash Ace
Actually when I did it it was against a Metaknight climbing up the edge at 60%ish damage, it killed him near instantly. If we could figure out the right timing for this edgeguard it could be Ganon's most powerful killing move.
Hum, it's probably a stage spike, like DK's Dmash does ? Anyway, this sounds pretty cool :D
Deifnitely not, what seems to happen is the character is reflected on the inside of the DA's hitbox. Basically Ganondorf's inside shoulder the one he's not charging with so they still being lift off the ground as normal but the end of the hitbox reflects them awkwardly into a spike. The fact is that it is a clean hit not a stage spike.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I like your theory, Shadow Nataku, about the leading shoulder and the following shoulder. Do you have your kill on replay? I'll try to find mine too and maybe we can figure out what's going on here. One thing's for sure...it's a REALLY strong hit when it connects this way.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
I've got at least one. I think I have 2. I think they're both vs Samus, but perhaps one of them is vs MK. I'll get to it later today, hopefully.

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
This is possible for almost any attack. The opponent obviously DIed him/herself down, causing a spike.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
This is possible for almost any attack. The opponent obviously DIed him/herself down, causing a spike.
Wait til you see the replay to make that call. I don't believe this is the case. Why (HOW?) would a ledge hanging opponent be holding down?

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
Wait til you see the replay to make that call. I don't believe this is the case. Why (HOW?) would a ledge hanging opponent be holding down?
Cause the opponent must've been retardedly dumb. Ganon's dash attack never sends the opponent anywhere but up, unless the opponent DIs.

hyperstation

Smash Lord
Cause the opponent must've been retardedly dumb. Ganon's dash attack never sends the opponent anywhere but up, unless the opponent DIs.
I don't believe it. I've gotten it twice on MOM and I believe the one was during the very first few frames of a GUA or a roll. There's no way he'd be holding down during either of those. I think I essentially "tippered" an iDA. I mean, when else can you possibly hit your opponent with iDA when they're BELOW you except when they're hanging on the edge? The possibility never presents itself otherwise. I obviously need to find that replay. I'm dreading searching for it though.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
Well, we know that one's false.

We know there's a weak hit box right at the end, which (a) knocks them up diagonally, (b) has stunted knockback growth, and (c) even makes a different sound on hit (it's like Jigglypuff's weakspot nair, or Zelda's dtilt)

Your argument would amount to "nuh uh" if we're supposing there's another hit box, too.

Terodactyl Yelnats

Smash Ace
NNID
Perseids_Tero
No amount of D.I would be able to do that, not even M2K's D.I. The closest we'd be able to get would be a diagonal up. Sakurai probably made this as a,"WTF WAS THAT HOLY **** THIS IS AWESOME JESUS CHRIST!!!!" secret hitbox.

joenm8r

Smash Cadet
I wanna say that it is a stage spike.

I think that doing a DA so that you are stopped by the edge of the stage actually puts your hit box out over the edge, which I guess is obvious, but then the recovering character is becoming vulnerable while moving up into the hitbox. If the DA connects further back on Ganon, does it not tend to send people up at an angle behind him? This is what I believe is happening, they're being launched at a 45 behind Ganon, but then they instantly ricochet off of the stage.

The only problem with this theory is that I've never notice any kind of effect that would indicate a ricochet took place. I'll have to go back to my replay.

In the meantime, take a look at this image. It shows how far off the edge you can be during this situation.

I'll make the replay available for download soon if that works. I don't have capturing capabilities, so sorry.

Top Bottom