• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hotwire - 1,100 words

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
This is something I've been working on for a while. I think I like how this version turned out much better than the original.

Thank you to Crimson King, who helped quite a bit with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A rusted, black exterior of an abandoned 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. A youth walked up to the side of the car and pops open the gasoline tank. He lifts up a jug and refills the car. Once he’s sure that the car has a full gas tank, he walks up to the front and mutters “I can’t believe nobody did this before…”. He then gets under the dash and splices the two red wires and starts up the car.

The boy grinned as his hands gripped the white, leather steering wheel. He began to slowly drive the car out of the sandy ditch on the side of the road where the antique car had long since been abandoned.

The sound of the wheels grinding on the gravel of the road’s shoulder melded into the sound of wheels gliding across the asphalt on the main road. The boy was surprised that the car was still ran this good – it was made nearly thirty years ago, and it was moving like it was built just a few days ago. The tires had plenty enough air, it was filled to the brim with oil, and it didn’t feel like there was anything wrong with it - the only thing that could use touching up was the paint. “I can’t wait until I can tell Snickers about this!”

Jackson continued to guide the car down the road. His parents had always told him that if he wanted his own car, he would have to buy it himself. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on one, why not just find one? He told his parents that they were in for a surprise, but doubted that they expected this. He was concerned about how he would explain the car to his parents, but he was sure that they would be pleased with the idea of a free car and wouldn’t ask many questions.

Jackson soon turned onto a street that led to his friend Snickers’ house. He arrived, and walked up to the house and rang the doorbell.

“Hey, man!” said Snickers. “How’s it goin’!”

“Good. I got a car,” Jackson said.

“Nice! Where’d you get it?”

“A ditch from the side of the road. I hotwired it.”

“What? Now you’re just bragging.”

“It’s the truth. Let’s go for a ride.”

“Alright.”

Jackson and Snickers jumped into the Trans Am. Immediately after getting in, Snickers began to bounce up and down in his seat.

“Dude, it’s a new car! Stop doing that!” Jackson said.

“Are you kidding? This thing is like thirty years old!” Snickers said.

Jackson sighed. He knew that Snickers was right. “Just buckle your seatbelt.” Hearing the click of his friend’s seatbelt, he began to pull out of the driveway.

The car glided down the street. “Dude, be careful at that stop sign! There’s a cop,” Snickers said.

“Yeah, yeah.” Jackson stopped in front of the sign, turned out onto the highway, and drove off. “Where to now?”

“I dunno,” Snickers sighed. “The mall?”

“No way. It’s Black Friday!”

“Good point. I would suggest turning off here, then. You’re heading right towards the mall.”

“Alright,” Jackson began to turn off the road. Suddenly, a banshee’s wail filled the car; red and blue lights seemed to be everywhere.

Police sirens began to flash. “Ah!” Jackson said. The sirens yanked him out of his own thoughts. He was now faced with a much more serious problem than explaining this to his parents – he had to explain himself to the cops. Moving the car over to the side of the road, Jackson waited for the police officer to walk up and talk to him. To him, it felt as if the officer was taking this long a time on purpose. The long, tedious wait felt much worse to Jackson than what he had expected. Unbearable and infuriating, the lectures from parents would never prepare you for the real thing.

Just as Jackson was starting to give up on the Officer ever showing up, there was a knock at his window. “Mind opening up, son?” It was much more of a demand than a question.

Gripping the window crank, Jackson began to pull the window down. Scared, he said, “Yes sir?” Jackson began to examine the officer. He was wearing the traditional blue suit and sunglasses. As if to compliment the stereotype, the Officer had a beer belly.

“Do you know how fast you were going?” the officer said.

Jackson had heard being funny could get the cops off of his back so he decided to try that. “I would like to say the speed limit, but I would be lying.” The Officer frowned. Jackson immediately thought, ‘bad idea’.

The officer said, “That would be lying. You were going sixty-seven in a sixty mile per hour zone. May I see your license and registration, please?”

Jackson froze. He didn’t have any of that. I can’t believe this, he thought, how could I have been so careless! Not knowing where else to look, he opened the glove box. It popped open. There was a gun, covered in dried blood.

“Put your hands up. Get out of the car slowly,” demanded the officer. He yanked out a gun and pointed it an Jackson.

“This isn’t mine!” Jackson said. “I just found this car off the side of the road and hotwired it! I didn’t shoot anybody!”

The officer took off his sunglasses with his free hand. “Get out of the car.”

Jackson shook out of the car. He hardly realized the cold steel clasp onto his hands and another officer, presumably the first one’s partner, him into the cruiser. If the situation had been any less serious, Jackson would have laughed at the box of donuts that were visible through the Plexiglas dividers in the back.

The first Officer turned towards Snickers. “Open your glove box.”

“Y-yes sir!” Snickers said. A loud pop only presented a bag of cocaine.

“You too. Out.”

Snickers tottered out of the car and received the same treatment as Jackson. Grabbing his hair in frustration, Snicker’s began to curse under his breath.

Tears began to roll down Jackson’s cheek. He knew that there was no way out of this. He had to choose the car with the gun in it. He had to choose the car with the drugs in it. He had to choose to drive back down the road that the cop would be on. There’s no way out of this, Jackson thought. I’m through.

quadz08

Smash Cadet
It's very interesting, and has potential. It just feels very.... unfinished. There isn't enough in this story to make it truly worthwhile. I got to the end and went, "wait. is this all?" There's no real reason for him to get arrested. It's just a string of coincidences with no greater connection or moralistic reason behind them. You have a good concept, but it definitely needs to be refined. Quite a bit, in fact.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
This is something I've been working on for a while. I think I like how this version turned out much better than the original.

Thank you to Crimson King, who helped quite a bit with this.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A rusted, black exterior of an abandoned 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am. A1. teenage youth walks up to the side of the car 2. and pops open the gasoline tank 2. and takes a jug 2. and refills the car. 3. Once he’s sure that the car has a full gas tank, he walks up to the front and mutters “I can’t believe nobody did this before…”. He then gets under the dash and splices the two red wires and starts up the car.

The boy grinned as his hands gripped the white, leather steering wheel. He 4. began to slowly drive the car out of the sandy ditch on the side of the road where the antique car had long since been abandoned.

The sound of the wheels grinding on the gravel of the road’s shoulder 4. had soon melded into the sound of wheels gliding across the asphalt on the main road. 5. The boy was surprised that the car was still ran this good – it was made nearly thirty years ago, and it was moving like it was built just a few days ago. The tires had plenty enough air, it was filled to the brim with oil, and it didn’t feel like there was anything wrong with it. 5. The only thing that could use touching up was the paint. Despite being a twenty-nine-year-old car, it ran better than most cars that were made three years ago. “I can’t wait until I can tell Snickers about this!”

6. The teenager continued to guide the car down the road. His parents had always told him that if he wanted his own car, he would have to buy it himself. Instead of spending thousands of dollars on one, why not just find one? 7. He had told his parents that they were in for a surprise, but he doubted that they expect this. 6. Jackson was concerned about how he would explain the car to his parents, but he was sure that they would be pleased with the idea of a free car and wouldn’t ask many questions.

8. Jackson soon turned onto Cress Avenue, the street that lead to his friend Snickers’ house. After driving down the road for about five minutes, he had arrived. Jackson walked up to ring the doorbell.

“Hey, man!” 9. greeted Snickers. “How’s it goin’!”

“Good. I got a car,” 9. Jackson grinned.

“Nice! Where’d you get it?”

“A ditch from the side of the road. I hotwired it.”

“What? Now you’re just bragging.”

“It’s the truth. Let’s go for a ride.”

“Alright.”

Jackson and Snickers jumped into the Trans Am. Immediately after getting in, Snickers began to bounce up and down in his seat.

“Dude, it’s a new car! Stop doing that!” 9. Jackson complained.

“Are you kidding? This thing is like thirty years old!” 9. Snickers returned.

Jackson sighed. He knew that Snickers was right. “Just buckle your seatbelt,” 9. he snaps at Snickers. Hearing the click of his friend’s seatbelt, he began to pull out of the driveway.

The car glided down the street. “Dude, be careful at that stop sign! There’s a cop,” 9. Snickers informed.

“Yeah, yeah,” 9. Jackson agreed. He stopped in front of the sign, turned out onto the highway, and drove off. “Where to now?”

“I dunno,” 9. Snickers sighed. “The mall?”

“No way. It’s black Friday!”

“Good point. I would suggest turning off here, then. You’re heading right towards the mall.”

“Good point,” Jackson began to turn off the road. Suddenly, a banshee’s wail filled the car; red and blue lights seemed to be everywhere.

10. Bree! Bree! Bree! Police sirens began to flash. “Ah!” Jackson 9. moaned. The sirens yanked him out of his own thoughts. He was now faced with a much more serious problem than explaining this to his parents – he had to explain himself to the 11. Cops. Moving the car over to the side of the road, Jackson waited for the 11. Police Officer to walk up and talk to him. To him, it felt as if the 11. Officer was taking this long a time on purpose. The long, tedious wait felt much worse to Jackson than what he had expected. Unbearable and infuriating, the lectures from parents would never prepare you for the real thing.

Just as Jackson was starting to give up on the Officer ever showing up, there was a knock at his window. “Mind opening up, son?” It was much more of a demand than a question.

Gripping the window crank, Jackson began to pull the window down. Scared, he said, “Yes sir?” Jackson began to examine the officer. He was wearing the traditional blue suit and sunglasses. As if to compliment the stereotype, the Officer had a beer belly.

“Do you know how fast you were going?” the Officer 9. prompted?

Jackson had heard being funny could get the Cops off of his backs so he decided to try that. “I would like to say the speed limit, but I would be lying.” The Officer frowned. Jackson immediately thought, ‘bad idea’.

The officer 9. grimaced, “That would be lying. You were going sixty-seven in a sixty mile per hour zone. May I see your license and registration, please?”

Jackson froze. He didn’t have any of that. I can’t believe this, he thought, how could I have been so careless! 12. His heart pounding faster than his feet during his P.E. final, he opened the glove box. It popped open. There was a gun, covered in moist blood.

“Step out of the car,” 9. demanded the Officer.

“This isn’t mine!” Jackson 9. claimed. “I just found this car off the side of the road and hotwired it! I didn’t shoot anybody!”

The Officer took off his sunglasses. “Get out of the car.”

Jackson shook out of the car. He hardly realized the cold steel clasp onto his hands and another officer, presumably the first one’s partner, him into the cruiser. If the situation had been any less serious, Jackson would have laughed at the box of donuts that were visible through the Plexiglas dividers in the back.

The first Officer turned towards Snickers. “Open your glove box.”

“Y-yes sir!” Snickers 9. stuttered. A loud pop only presented a bag of cocaine.

“You too. Out.”

Snickers tottered out of the car and received the same treatment as Jackson. Grabbing his hair in frustration, Snicker’s began to curse under his breath.

Tears began to roll down Jackson’s cheek. He knew that there was no way out of this. He had to choose the car with the gun in it. He had to choose the car with the drugs in it. He had to choose to drive back down the road that the cop would be on. There’s no way out of this, Jackson thought. I’m through.
I actually don't mind the short length of this, I think it could work well as flash fiction. However, there are numerous technical issues.

1. "Teenage youth" is a repetitive phrase.

2. You used the word "and" three times to extend this sentence. Remember your comma rules: use commas to connect the phrases, and save the "and" for the last connected phrase.

3. Another unnecessary repetition: The preceeding sentence ends with him gassing up the car, so the next sentence shouldn't start with it as well.

4. Show, don't Tell: The word "had" ALWAYS gets in the way when you write, and it makes your writing sound clunky. Rewrite the phrase as such:

road’s shoulder had soon melded into the sound
That reads much better.

5. More unnecessary repetition. The two lines labeled "5." say the exact same thing. Remove one of them.

6. I've pointed this out in other stories as well. I don't understand why writers identify their character with a non-specific noun ("The teenager") and then, seemingly randomly, assign him a name later ("Jackson"). If his name is Jackson, then that's his name from the beginning to the end of the story. Use it from the beginning to the end.

7. There's that word "had" again. Also, the end of the sentence is phrased poorly. It should read,

he doubted they would expect this.
8. This paragraph is laden with unnecessary detail.

Jackson soon turned onto Cress Avenue, the street that lead to his friend heading towards Snickers’ house. After driving down the road for about five minutes, he had arrived. Jackson walked walking up to ring the doorbell.
9. I counted FOURTEEN different words you used after dialogue tags. Just use the word "said". All of those other words you use only lessen the impact of your dialogue. If the words withing the quotation marks aren't getting your characters' feelings across, then fix them instead of trying to do it on the other side of the marks with words like "snapped" or "sighed".

10. More repetition. You described the police car's siren as a "banshee's wail" in the preceding sentence, there's no need to do it again. Also, describing sounds with "sound words" is usually problematic anyway.

11. I just highlighted unnecessary capitalization. Words like "cop" and "police officer" should not be capitalized in mid-sentence.

12. Be very careful with these kinds of cheesy metaphors. They usually take away from your story more than they add.

There's alot of work to be done here, but if you keep these things in mind as you edit this (or write in the future), I think you could have something really good.

El Nino

BRoomer
BRoomer
I remember this one.

Just a few points that Jam didn't already mention:

1) Tense confusion. The first paragraph is in present tense, but the rest of the piece is in past tense.

2) The opening sentence is a fragment. This can work, but I'm not sure it does here.

3) Why does Jackson open the glove compartment in the first place? It's not his car, and even if the previous owner left vehicle registration information there, it's not likely that he could pass himself off as the owner without a doctored I.D.

4) "There was a gun, covered in moist blood." - The blood is still wet? How long has the car been out there? Blood doesn't take hours to dry.

5) If the cops catch you with a weapon, even if you didn't pull it out on them (they'd just open fire at that point), they'd likely draw their guns on you immediately and ask you to step out of the vehicle slowly and with your hands in the air, and then tell you to get on the ground, where they'd cuff you and search you for other weapons, the same with anyone else in the car with you at the time.

This does have potential as flash fiction. Just smooth out some of those details for believability.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Alright. I went through both of your advice and pretty much followed all of it, save for changing the opening sentence (I had rewrote it a few times, but I thought that the original worked best).

Thanks for the help!

Top Bottom