• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I hear what Smoom is saying.
I see the talk in this thread about "Guys, we srsly need to practice and stop fooling around, so we're having bi-weeklys".
Which is amazing/pro.
But then the good players don't even use their mains and fool around with other characters.
It's sort of a mixed message.

lol Tell that to SA.

pj u use mk whyyyyyyyy u need him to win blarg blarg
You timed someone out with mk, and then said in the results thread not to list him next to your name.
WTF?

BioDG

Smash Ace
But then the good players don't even use their mains and fool around with other characters.
They can do whatever they want. In the meantime, I'll continue trying to get better.

The very fact that these guys get away with it (edit: to clarify, I mean in terms of them being able to train or experiment with their less-experienced characters and still take nearly everyone down) reinforces why the community as a whole deserves these bi-weeklys (it's not primarily for "them", so to speak). It should be seen on an individual perspective. When that need is met, the strengths eventually grow and find more balance on a community level.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Oh, I'm not saying that them using other characters is wrong.
People can use whoever they like (not like it's a crime to use other characters lol).
But it can be discouraging for other players who have personal goals to beat razers snake, gnes's diddy, trela's lucario, etc but then they used someone else.

For the record, this stuff happens in SA as well.
Espy's gone all wolf one tourney, and then the next weekend he went random and won both tournies lol.
Not a bad thing, just dissapointing for those who wanted a crack at his Sonic.

TheJerm

Smash Champion
If they have a goal of beating their main, then beat their main. If you beat their secondary, its a higher chance they'll use their main on you next time you guys fight.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Yea but Nike, I'm pretty sure the pros will try harder when given a challenge. If I recall, Razer also won the Mid Tier side event at a tournament with....alot of our best mid tier mains in attendance. If anything "just like redemption/amateur brackets", it sets the bar a little lower for people that might have given up on winning.

Also Sync should yellow card them.

Nike.

Smash Hero
Yea but Nike, I'm pretty sure the pros will try harder when given a challenge. If I recall, Razer also won the Mid Tier side event at a tournament with....alot of our best mid tier mains in attendance. If anything "just like redemption/amateur brackets", it sets the bar a little lower for people that might have given up on winning.

Also Sync should yellow card them.
I understand what your trying to say, but I'm not sure you worded it right.
Your argument supports sandbagging (not trying), which I'm sure there all still trying, regardless of who they use.

Amateur/Redemption has nothing to do with this. It's catering to the lower level players by literally removing the good players from entering.
Though it means they won't get to play the good players at that specific tourney, it encourages multiple players to enter since they have a legit shot at winning money.
You'd be surprised how many people come out of hiding for those events.
Works for San Antonio, but the good players are pretty chill with the idea.
If I understand right, Houston/Dallas is totally against this :/

NearZzz

Smash Lord
I hear what Smoom is saying.
I see the talk in this thread about "Guys, we srsly need to practice and stop fooling around, so we're having bi-weeklys".
Which is amazing/pro.

You timed someone out with mk, and then said in the results thread not to list him next to your name.
WTF?
:troll:

but seriously who says i timed them out? Why can't they time themselves out?

UltimateRazer

Smash Champion
Pj is notorious for timing out people. He tried to time me out, but, like always, he failed.

He did in fact time out people with MK at Nikefest 4.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Seriously this is the kind of thinking that really hinders the growth of the smash community. People are so negative about the same people always winning. Just remember, it wasn't always Gnes, Razer and Trela. Back in '08 we had like Hylian, Sethlon, Flip and other people. This game will forever be dominated by a few players at any given time but this game will not always be dominated by the same people.

Think for yourself Smoom. You can learn a lot from that boy Illmatic.
Why would you ever bring up 2008? Mr.3000(sonic), Trex(snake), Royr(royr), Sethlon(falco), FlipHop(diddy), Hylian(gw), Stiltz(mk/olimar) were only good at brawl at the beginning because they had the basics(of smash in general) nailed down from YEARS of exp in melee while the rest of the new players began to learn brawl. They only started losing their spots once the brawl ONLY players started abusing how ******** this game is(retardism that wasnt around in melee). I was there for all of melee and all of brawl so i know what im saying.

And no smoom cant learn from Illmatic. Illmatic has never and will never take out gnes/razer/trela in tournament. There is are a few simple truths to this game/city that u dont wanna accept but its there and will always be there.

1. There a GREAT players in this city like jerm/illmatic that will never become better than razer/gnes/trela because their character just cant do it. In melee this would be wrong but because of brawl's lack of mobility/ lack of options/character imbalances and other ******** aspects(infinite air dodges/tripping....ect) it makes MUs the number one factor in who wins or who loses.

2. Some people in brawl/houston use good chars but just are not good at smash. Sure they get better but you just KNOW that they will never become a threat....ever. I can list a few names but it will start a war so ill leave it to you to figure out who(trust me, you know who).

So yea, please keep having pipe dreams/hope and re-read dojo's pep talks but NONE of that will help you if you do not abuse this trash game/main Mk/Diddy/Wario/Snake and sometimes olimar/falco/ICs.

Lol it does mean something. It's up to you to determine what has worth or not. Honestly, Gnes' secondaries are pretty good and are tourament viable.
Good/tournament viable? yes. But if we want to get better at what MATTERS we need his diddy(after all his diddy is the best one). Im sure that if u ask him for diddy he would give it to ya. it wouldnt feel nice though.

The only reason why some of our better players go other characters ans still WIN is to help us with our weak points.
Gnes mk<ally mk.

Beating gnes mk will NOT help you will ally mk.

This is fact.

U WILL NEVER BEAT GNES/RAZER/TRELA/DOJO...ETC AND IF U DO ITS PROBBLY A FLUKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! UR TRASH BRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
AAAAAAAACTUALLY, A FLUKE IS WHEN A CLEARLY INFERIOR PLAYER BEATS A SUPERIOR PLAYER IN A FREAK/ONCE IN A LIFE TIME OCCURRENCE. BUT I DO AGREE U TRASH BRO!

i dont know y ur complaining u use ics a HIGH TIER character who wins a match by grabing 3 times with no reads at all
yea he doesnt have an excuse. ICs can do anything.

Tesh

Smash Hero
I understand what your trying to say, but I'm not sure you worded it right.
Your argument supports sandbagging (not trying), which I'm sure there all still trying, regardless of who they use.

Amateur/Redemption has nothing to do with this. It's catering to the lower level players by literally removing the good players from entering.
Though it means they won't get to play the good players at that specific tourney, it encourages multiple players to enter since they have a legit shot at winning money.
You'd be surprised how many people come out of hiding for those events.
Works for San Antonio, but the good players are pretty chill with the idea.
If I understand right, Houston/Dallas is totally against this :/
We do that when Trela/Gnes/Razer/Zori etc. all go to an OoS event. See SSS7 Genesis Party :troll:

Sandbagging doesn't always mean you don't try. It can be purposely limiting yourself to create more of a challenge (didn't WAR refuse to use Uptilt for kills for a while?). The only time that would really bother me is if both players aren't trying their best. But I don't see a major issue with 1 player winning while challenging himself.

Dojo

Smash Champion
Lol Allan alot of my "pep-talks" include that I believe our amazing players should go top tier. We have some amazing players and I know they will never get anywhere with the characters their using other than a few freak upsets and high placings. That's the point I'm trying to make. Don't go about it by telling them to give up because they will never get anywhere.... ****.

Xyro77

Lol Allan alot of my "pep-talks" include that I believe our amazing players should go top tier. We have some amazing players and I know they will never get anywhere with the characters their using other than a few freak upsets and high placings. That's the point I'm trying to make.

NearZzz

Smash Lord
Alright PJ, keep telling yourself that it'll never get uploaded lol.

Xyro, your a melee vet.
Term for sandbagging = ?
lol ill just tell em not to upload it.

and tesh you would be better if you did more walking and less talking.

Like you the swf type who post all about mus and how x beats y and how this this and that but when it comes to tournament you lose to ganonmaster666

lol ozz the face is copy pasted

Xyro77

Pirate lagoon can only be on castle siege cause it makes it the castle of fun. anything else is terrible.

Nike.

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure Slush, THE PERSON WHO OWNS THE WII YOU PLAYED ON, and who's also extremely pro-ban, would be more than happy to send me the replay.

It was a tourney in my own house.
Is it a stretch to think that I'd know who's wii's are on each tv?

So yea.
Get *****.

Tesh

Smash Hero
uhm pirate lagoon =ship music= good on spaceship stage

it has nothing to do with a castle on top of hell

also with the gentle tilting of the ship, I imagine the the pilot is just laid back, chilling and listening to this music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom