• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BioDG

Smash Ace
I'm going to miss HOBOs. I was at the tail end of a legacy. :(

lol @ neckbeardmatic stupidity

KRDsonic

Smash Master
I suddenly have nostalgia from back at the early HOBOs, back when there were tons of players there and we'd get like... 80+ people at times. Though I'm not gonna lie, I like the current scene just as much, though it really is dying now unfortunately. It used to be that we'd have people leave the smash scene and new players come and take their place. Now we have people leave the smash scene here and not much in the way of new players coming to take their places.

:059:

Tesh

Smash Hero
Wuh, I finally have a Saturday off and you are gonna do BN on FRIDAY!!?

:/

All things must come to an end eventually. *shrug*

BioDG

Smash Ace
I suddenly have nostalgia from back at the early HOBOs, back when there were tons of players there and we'd get like... 80+ people at times. Though I'm not gonna lie, I like the current scene just as much, though it really is dying now unfortunately. It used to be that we'd have people leave the smash scene and new players come and take their place. Now we have people leave the smash scene here and not much in the way of new players coming to take their places.

Let's see what Smash 4 has to say about that first. Not that I'm entirely optimistic about it.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Smash 4 will bring in new people definitely. It was mainly Brawl that I was talking about that's dying right now. I don't think Smash 4 will bring in as many new players as Brawl did though cause Brawl had wifi so a lot of people who didn't used to play against others found out that they had a lot of room for improvement and then they wanted to get better, then after getting better they wanted to go to tournys, etc.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Are you saying Smash 4 won't have wifi? I know Nintendo sometimes does ******** things like that (like NSMBWii) but I doubt they would take a step back like that with the same series.

Captain NeckBeard

Smash Rookie
I think smash4 will def bring in lots of new players just like brawl did but it could also reduce numbers as well. depends on how good wifi is. if wifi sucks, offline scene will be huge. if wifi is good, i dont expect the offline scene to be huge.

KRDsonic

Smash Master
Are you saying Smash 4 won't have wifi? I know Nintendo sometimes does ******** things like that (like NSMBWii) but I doubt they would take a step back like that with the same series.
No I meant how Melee didn't have wifi, then Brawl introduced wifi. Cause there were lots of people who played Melee casually but had only played against a few friends they had at home and didn't get to experience playing higher-leveled players. Then Brawl came out and they realized that there were other people out there that they could play against that were better, and that meant that they could also get better. Then after getting better they'd want to go to tournys to see how they stood up to other people around them. At least that's how it was for me and other people I know. Transitioning from Brawl to SSB4, that won't be as big of a thing cause people already have had wifi to play against other people other than their group of friends now. Though if SSB4's wifi is a lot better than Brawl's was, then that would do a bit more I think.

Of course, I haven't seen first-hand how the transitioning from one game to a newer one works in communities so I could be way off. I do remember Xyro telling me once that the addition of certain characters brought more people to Brawl, so I know that will definitely happen to SSB4 also.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
The person in my avatar disagrees.

:phone:

Geoberos

Alicorn or not, my mane mare, my unicorn, Twilight
NNID
Geoberos
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/22547495

EDIT: God damn it, the Dazzle + UStream did derp the first 30 minutes. So I have to rely on Nike's saved videoes for the first 30 matches.
Skip to 30 and it's around Paw vs Big Boss where Tesh told me the video didn't work even though it showed in the UStream Producer
Trela's Team
Trela (Marth)
Slush (Yoshi)
K Prime (Dedede)
Paw 2x (ZSS)
Blondie (Falco)

Nike's Team
Espy (MK)
Geoberos (Diddy)
Nike (Marth)
Big Boss (Snake)
Kyro (Ness)