• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Houston Thread - No HOBOs and no WHOBOs. What do we do now??????????????????????????????????????????

What side event should i include in my tournaments?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Esca

Smash Champion
Melee really isn't a dead game Allan, you just killed it in Texas. Since you did that, we're missing out on a huge part of Smash. I really think we both know this. ;)

Alsoooooooooo, New York is miserable. I got snowed in. :(

Smoom77

Smash Master
"When Brawl came out, MANY players of Melee pretty much stopped playing. They only played when they feel like it. Groups like the Aladdin crew (5-6 members) and Dawn/Void/Kage/Gabe/Bear/SideEffect/Jake 13/Killawhale/Sscar'his falcon buddy and the 6 guys from Katy. The list goes on. They all stopped playing hardcore and started missing more and more events. Combine that with the fact no new players were getting into Melee. So knowing all of this (which you don’t, obviously) I made a choice to move on to the new game and now look at what we have! Yea I sometimes wonder if I "destroyed" the scene but then common sense kicks in and I realized THEY left the scene. All that’s left are the people who pretty much never went to tournaments but complain about it when I don’t hold Melee anymore. Melee is dead. Brawl is the future. Accept it."

-Xyro

Esca

Smash Champion
Smoom, that's funny because Allan told me himself that he killed the game. I have the AIM conversation saved at home. ;)

Stop sucking up, please. It's really not benefiting you.

Also, think of what is happening to Brawl, except 6 years earlier. Noone new is joining and if anything people are quitting. Brawl is a dying game moreso than Melee. Melee was more successful than Brawl will ever be or has been thus far. I think I speak for every smart player when I say that. The last 3 Brawl tournaments have barely brought anyone here.

ADHD came because he knew he was gonna win money lol.

That's all this game is about anymore, tbqh.

Smoom77

Smash Master
I wish I could play Melee more. I never said it was dead.

Edit: But what are you going to do about it? We're not going to have Melee only events. The best we can do is have it as a side-event. But again, I wish it wasn't completely dead, but I don't want it to be the main game.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Smoom, that's funny because Allan told me himself that he killed the game. I have the AIM conversation saved at home. ;)

Stop sucking up, please. It's really not benefiting you.

Also, think of what is happening to Brawl, except 6 years earlier. Noone new is joining and if anything people are quitting. Brawl is a dying game moreso than Melee. Melee was more successful than Brawl will ever be or has been thus far. I think I speak for every smart player when I say that. The last 3 Brawl tournaments have barely brought anyone here.

ADHD came because he knew he was gonna win money lol.

That's all this game is about anymore, tbqh.

100% incorrect. Sure i may have helped kill it. but as smoom posted, 90% of the people moved to brawl. They had a choice to stay with melee and they didnt.

You have no clue about the melee scene. You were not around and you have no clue how big it got. Brawl is bigger in every way. Number of events per weekend, average tourney attendance, and all time record of attendance(axis). It brought in FAR more people and continues to bring in loads of new people each event. Here in Houston its slowed(after 21 events its only natural for this to happen) but it still brings in new players(see hobo 22).

Melee is dead. They get one or 2 "big" events a year with a few small ones here and there. brawl gets big events ALL the time and MANY MANY event per weekend. brawl is the future, melee is dead.

Smoom, relax. it will never come back and it will not be a main event. it is forever a side event. The days of melee are over......

Smoom77

Smash Master
I said that I DON'T want it to be a main event. I want it to be a side-event. I know that it'll never come back. That was the point of my edit.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I said that I DON'T want it to be a main event. I want it to be a side-event. I know that it'll never come back. That was the point of my edit.
Smoom, its ok. I'm sure melee will be there for you and others to play. Plus we can only team in Brawl anyways. <3

@Take: I lost my PS3 stick at HOBO 21. *cries* I was so bummed about it. I might be able to mod my already modded stick to add PS3 wiring so I can use that for both systems. :|

Smoom77

Smash Master
To tell you the truth, I started looking at Melee a few months ago. All of the events I went to since then, I played Melee. And if you knew me, I can't come to many events which = less Melee.

So, I guess I shouldn't be blaming anyone for me not playing as much Melee as I want.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
Smoom, its ok. I'm sure melee will be there for you and others to play. Plus we can only team in Brawl anyways. <3

@Take: I lost my PS3 stick at HOBO 21. *cries* I was so bummed about it. I might be able to mod my already modded stick to add PS3 wiring so I can use that for both systems. :|
i broke down and bought a TE for ps3 because i refuse to be put at a disadvantage again :)

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
This is horrible...

It's almost Christmas!

AvoiD

Smash Lord
NNID
AvoiDMe
I lol'd @ Xyro.

and I knooowww. Going to New Jersey, Tuesday! Won't be back till the following Monday, I think I'll be able to get on from my phone harhar. :'D

kown

Smash Lord
i cant seem to play brawl for more than a couple hours and still have fun... :(

well anyways MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!! ill be outta town/country for a bit.

QUIVO

Smash Master
I come down the 24th and I'll be down in Houston till the 30th. Does anyone wanna play melee.. and/or Brawl?
I'll be bringing only my Melee disc and memory card since I have a gamecube down there.

RT

Smash Hero
NNID
Rockettrainer
3DS FC
4038-6677-8162
Quivo! Let's play!

After Christmas smashfest sounds good. :)

QUIVO

Smash Master
If midwest doesn't win crews at pound 4, i hope south does. And by south, i mean texas. And by texas, i mean houston

Smoom77

Smash Master
Was the pivot grab via shield grab known? I'm not talking about the dash>shield>opposite corner of c-stick one. You can do it the same as a non-shield grab pivot.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
100% incorrect. Sure i may have helped kill it. but as smoom posted, 90% of the people moved to brawl. They had a choice to stay with melee and they didnt.

You have no clue about the melee scene. You were not around and you have no clue how big it got. Brawl is bigger in every way. Number of events per weekend, average tourney attendance, and all time record of attendance(axis). It brought in FAR more people and continues to bring in loads of new people each event. Here in Houston its slowed(after 21 events its only natural for this to happen) but it still brings in new players(see hobo 22).

Melee is dead. They get one or 2 "big" events a year with a few small ones here and there. brawl gets big events ALL the time and MANY MANY event per weekend. brawl is the future, melee is dead.
It's not and never should be a popularity contest.

I don't feel I should be compelled to play a game I don't enjoy. I do feel compelled to play a game I do enjoy.

We eat what we like. Applejacks!

Also on the note that's its slowed, either Brawl is going to hit its stride soon or its just the time of the year.

I'm expecting Pound 4 to have more melee entrants than Brawl, but I also don't think it'll get bigger than Genesis.

OhMyGodItzMouf

Smash Journeyman
i don't understand why this conversation even still goes on. face it, your game sucks. as long as there are still people playing and there are still tournaments i will still play melee cuz its infinitely more fun than brawl. i think most brawl players are even startin to realize that brawl sucks now :\

edit: all you guys talkin about playin melee should come play some friendlies with us at the next hobo

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Was the pivot grab via shield grab known? I'm not talking about the dash>shield>opposite corner of c-stick one. You can do it the same as a non-shield grab pivot.
yes its been known for a few months. its pretty good with some chars

Esca

Smash Champion
i don't understand why this conversation even still goes on. face it, your game sucks. as long as there are still people playing and there are still tournaments i will still play melee cuz its infinitely more fun than brawl. i think most brawl players are even startin to realize that brawl sucks now :\

edit: all you guys talkin about playin melee should come play some friendlies with us at the next hobo
I'm down Mouf. Even though we have our differences. I'm gonna have to get a lil better first though. :( Who should I main?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom