• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How are SSBU tournies gonna work?

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld
Everybody bring a gamepad? Wii U only supports 2 gamepads...Pro Controllers must be the answer, though I believe many people (myself included) have grown very attached to the GCN controller...

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Everybody bring a gamepad? Wii U only supports 2 gamepads...Pro Controllers must be the answer, though I believe many people (myself included) have grown very attached to the GCN controller...

Wii U Pro Controller I'm assuming would be the standard.

The bigger question might be what about all controllers being wireless?

Artsy Omni

Smashified Creator
NNID
artsyomni
Back in the day, it was assumed that a new generation of hardware meant players had to adapt to a new controller. Am I really so old that the majority of gamers aren't used to that anymore? I'm only 21...

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Wii U Pro Controller I'm assuming would be the standard.

The bigger question might be what about all controllers being wireless?
All 4 pro controllers can be plugged in with the USB connectors included with each one. So battery or wireless disruption wouldn't be much of a problem.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
No one is going to use the game pad. Tough luck, get over your gamecube controller, things change, everyone is probably going to end up using Wii U pro controllers.
Not me. I'll be using the Classic Controller Pro. XD

But I do agree with you about getting over the Gamecube controllers.

Back in the day, it was assumed that a new generation of hardware meant players had to adapt to a new controller. Am I really so old that the majority of gamers aren't used to that anymore? I'm only 21...
I feel your pain, buddy. I'm the same way and I'm only 22. ¦D

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The standards are probably going to change from bring your own controller to bring your own console. Those aspects of set up will need to be established beforehand.

You'll have 2 Pro U controllers hooked up via USB and they'll be connected to the Wii U at all times, much like gamepads are hooked up to a console at your local best buy. Reduce as much interference as possible by having a MAXIMUM of two Wii remote sets synced to a console at a time.

I can see hosts taking advantage of the rotation feature where all you'll need to do is enter your name on a console before the start of the tournament. One interesting feature to utilize may be of the profile transfer, Sync up your Wii remote and transfer your tags that way. As all content is Wii specific anyways, so procedures like that are likely to cause less hassle.

jerflip

Smash Apprentice
All 4 pro controllers can be plugged in with the USB connectors included with each one. So battery or wireless disruption wouldn't be much of a problem.
That eliminates the battery problem, but the controller inputs are still sent wirelessly.

Wireless interference and HD monitors are the two big problems we'll have to solve in the next couple of years.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
No one is going to use the game pad. Tough luck, get over your gamecube controller, things change, everyone is probably going to end up using Wii U pro controllers.
Pretty sure there are adapters for the gamecube controller. They're not made by Nintendo, though, so I cannot attest to their reliability. But the point is that they exist.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
I'm used to my Wii Classic Controller Pro, but hey, I'm gonna have to adapt to the new controller when Smash 4 comes out. If Gamecube controller isn't possible, then you just need to play with the Wii U Pro Controller. You'll get used to it in a few days. (What happened to me during the transition from GCC to WCCP)

I hear people talking about the gamecube adapter, though, so that may be a possibility.

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
im probably the 1% here. But my preferred play style was the wiimote and nunchuck... So idc about the GCC. Pro controller will do just fine as a replacement.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
im probably the 1% here.
The competitive community must be larger than I thought.

Wireless interference and HD monitors are the two big problems we'll have to solve
Why's that? Find yourself a CRT with Component/Composite/S-Video In capabilities. The console's not quite full HD.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I guess tournaments will go down like they always have. If the consoles are limited to two gamepads then what's the problem? All matches at tourneys are one on one anyway.

People seem worried about the wireless controllers interfering with eachother. It doesn't seem to be a problem for the hundreds of consoles they have setup at booths at E3. Someone is going to have to actually go and setup a tournament to see if there are any problems, until then we can only speculate.

No, plugging in the pro controller to the console to charge it does not make it a wired controller, it still sends a wireless signal to communicate with the console for all button inputs.

We won't need HD TVs because the Wii U is still compatible with the A/V cables used on the Wii, although it will forcibly upscale the image thus annoyingly cutting off a noticeable portion of the edges.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Why arent people saying Wii classic controller pro or stating it wont work?

If I can play Freaking Injustice with a Wii Classic Controller, I can damn well play Smash with it.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Why arent people saying Wii classic controller pro or stating it wont work?

If I can play Freaking Injustice with a Wii Classic Controller, I can damn well play Smash with it.

It must be the wireless thing. Tons of tournaments HATE wireless controllers in any shape or form.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
It must be the wireless thing. Tons of tournaments HATE wireless controllers in any shape or form.

Hmm, Ive never really had anyone complain about me using a Classic, and Ive never had any interference issues. I wouldnt really know.

But this thread OP clearly thinks all Wii controllers arent usuable, just bringing this up.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Hmm, Ive never really had anyone complain about me using a Classic, and Ive never had any interference issues. I wouldnt really know.

But this thread OP clearly thinks all Wii controllers arent usuable, just bringing this up.

I agree, I always used the NES styled controller because I'm weird and it somehow managed, it could be done.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Actually someone made a very important post here. I was at E3 and there were at the very least 20 different consoles each with a minimum of 2 controllers (some with up to 4). I spent about 6+ hour in this booth counting all 3 days and not once did I feel any interference. So I doubt there wi be any type of interference at tournaments at all.

Also stop living in the past people. I know HD tvs under 200 dollars which have no lag when usimg HDMI inputas, and I can assure you with almost full certainty there has to be even cheaper ones. HD tvs normally lagged because of the fact that they had to transform the image in order to display it. My TV has no input lag when using HDMI, it does however have lag when using AV cables, but when using hdmi theres 0 lag.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
How exactly are they wired if you can pick them up and move around with them? Are the wires invisible?

Only Gamepads were forcefully wired to the console and even then I think that comment is sort of a stretch, but there were at least 4 Mario Kart booths and 4 Mario 3D World with non wired wiimotes and nunchuks.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
I think the standard will be: The divide between Wii U controller Pro/Classic Controller Pro and those who will keep trying to bring back the gamecube controller because they continue to be stuck in their ways using third party adapters, I think that second half will die off in the first few months. Also the wii u has an audio video output that you can use the wii av cables with, which is what I use since I don't have an HD tv. For wireless, I mean we'll have to see, I don't see it being too big of a problem. Also battery life wise, the wii u control pro lasts FOREVER. Seriously I put in like 5 hour monster hunter sessions a day on some days, and over about 10 or so of those days I've only reached about 2 bars on the battery, and it charges super quick, I don't think that will ever be a problem. With the classic controller pro, you just have to make sure to carry around spare batteries and you'll be fine, they don't drain too quickly ether.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
Sure, Qaulity does matter when you're considering hardware. If you're using an HDMI cable, make sure you have an LCD designed around an HDMI card. If you're using standard AV's find yourself a halfway decent CRT. What matters most is how your hardware manages the signals.

Also, I had serious doubts that the inputs were 100% USB. It helps to have a controller that maintains a stable charge however, keep backup batteries people.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Sure, Qaulity does matter when you're considering hardware. If you're using an HDMI cable, make sure you have an LCD designed around an HDMI card. If you're using standard AV's find yourself a halfway decent CRT. What matters most is how your hardware manages the signals.

Also, I had serious doubts that the inputs were 100% USB. It helps to have a controller that maintains a stable charge however, keep backup batteries people.

Exactly, which is what I am saying. People think HD lags and that's it. It's not like that, it depends on the device and on the TV. Since the Wii U is already an HDMI console which means lag on HD quality is only dependant on which TV is being used. And as I said you can get a lag free HDMI TV at a relatively low cost nowadays.

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
But **** dude, good luck trying to ensure decent grade quality LCDs at your establishment. As always, the success of your tournament depends on the effort made in planning and consideration.

Find that group of folks you trust and plan accordingly, the less surprises, the better.

ScubaF_ingSteve

I eat stickers all the time, dude!
NNID
ScubaSteve94
But **** dude, good luck trying to ensure decent grade quality LCDs at your establishment. As always, the success of your tournament depends on the effort made in planning and consideration.

Find that group of folks you trust and plan accordingly, the less surprises, the better.
People aren't going to be bringing too many good HD tvs, maybe one or two for finals? The option for AV cables IS there and doesn't really kill the quality on wii u games from personal experience since launch

M15t3R E

Smash Master
I guess tournaments will go down like they always have. If the consoles are limited to two gamepads then what's the problem? All matches at tourneys are one on one anyway.
Have you been to a tournament before? I've never attended one which didn't have a doubles tournament. That's 4 players at once.

We won't need HD TVs because the Wii U is still compatible with the A/V cables used on the Wii, although it will forcibly upscale the image thus annoyingly cutting off a noticeable portion of the edges.
Why should we not play the game in HD?

Latias

Smash Journeyman
Wireless interference will most likely not be an issue. Using GC adaptes will also alienate newcomers to the competitive scene, since they'll most likely have a wii u pro controller and not a GC controller and/or adapter.

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

Just creating a discussion and about a very likely situation and stating my preference, never said Wii controllers aren't usable.
Quite a few people I see at tournies have a GCN controller, so many people are going to have to "adjust" to a new controller and I wanted to hear their thoughts. I know there's a GCN adapter for the Wii U but I'm not that diehard for my GCN controller lol. I won't use the wiimote and nunchuck though I severely dislike the nunchuck's analogue stick

Good discussion though

kj22

Smash Lord
NNID
openupyourworld

lol tell that to sony fans and microsoft fans, pretty much the same controller spanning 3/4 generations
Nintendo's consoles are the only thing of recent that's had drastic controller differences (N64, GCN, Wii, Wii U) Nintendo's handhelds just added more buttons lol
I'm 18, so ur not that old ;P

I just really really really like the GCN controller and am reluctant to change :/ called me old-fashioned, doesn't matter in the end I'll prolly end up using the pro controller anyway...guess this thread's about controller nostalgia

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
The option for AV cables IS there and doesn't really kill the quality on wii u games from personal experience since launch
I'm glad I invested in Component cables and I suppose all these goddamned wii controllers & attachments weren't totally useless purchases. My brain has already accustomed to dat Nunchuck so I ain't even worried.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Wii remotes proved to have huge problems with interference. Do the pro controllers use something besides Bluetooth? It's going to have the same problem.

As for the input, since when does the Wii U not have "full HD"? The games themselves might internally be rendering to a buffer smaller than 1080p (a common practice even on the 360 and PS3), but the signal coming out should be native 1080p. Can anyone speak to these technical details? (I don't have a Wii U yet.)

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Wii remotes proved to have huge problems with interference. Do the pro controllers use something besides Bluetooth? It's going to have the same problem.

As for the input, since when does the Wii U not have "full HD"? The games themselves might internally be rendering to a buffer smaller than 1080p (a common practice even on the 360 and PS3), but the signal coming out should be native 1080p. Can anyone speak to these technical details? (I don't have a Wii U yet.)

It only sends information through Bluetooth so it might still have interference problem.

The Wii U is native 1080 p and most of its new games are set to 1080 p by default (unlike a great number of the XBox 360 and PS3 games which were actually 720p), people are just scared and don't realize that with a semi-decent HD TV there won't be any lag at all. I do believe there are HD TVs cheap enough to be tournament viable (cost-wise).

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
At the places I shop, SDTV isn't even an option anymore. 720p is as low as you can go.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
At the places I shop, SDTV isn't even an option anymore. 720p is as low as you can go.

CRT SDTVs are probably right around the time where they are old enough that getting a new unused one is probably going to cost more than the cheaper HDTVs. (Sort of like buying an unused N64 or PS1 game today)

Top Bottom