• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U How are SSBU tournies gonna work?

nLiM8d

Smash Champion
I dunno if you've tried playing a Wii U with a CRT, but it looks like complete ****
Not a Wii U, but that shouldn't matter.

A couple of friends and I decided to hook up Mario Kart on the GC. We had it connected with the coaxial cable and man that looked terrible.

The TV in my garage however, it doesn't matter what cable it is, what console it is, what game it is, it looks great. Playing 320x200 native res games off of the Virtual console, bloomed out to my 42'' mitsubishi plasma, that looks pretty awful, but considering the nature of the hardware on both fronts, its not hard to reconcile what the issue is.

The argument here is not that one console should be matched to one TYPE of hardware, its that it should be matched to the best available hardware that suits the performance needs (LCD or CRT).

Kamiko

Smash Ace
As far as I'm aware, most TVs have a little bit of lag, but not enough for the average player to notice. Can't say I've tested that extensively though, as I've only used a few HDTVs myself.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Everybody bring a gamepad? Wii U only supports 2 gamepads...Pro Controllers must be the answer, though I believe many people (myself included) have grown very attached to the GCN controller...

I don't think there will be any advantage to having a gamepad. Sure you'll probably be able to use it, but according to Sakurai:
Sakurai said:
"The idea with Smash Bros., you have four players come together, and it's a fair playing field," Sakurai explained. "The idea of having one person with this special controller and special features that are only available to the gamepad player flies in the face of that. Right now, we're not adding any additional [GamePad] functionality at all."
"With Smash Bros. being a four-player game we want people to be on equal footing. That's our main philosophy when it comes to control features."
[URL]http://www.polygon.com/2013/6/14/4429220/super-smash-bros-for-wii-u-nintendo-3ds-removes-tripping?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter][/url]

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
As far as I'm aware, most TVs have a little bit of lag, but not enough for the average player to notice. Can't say I've tested that extensively though, as I've only used a few HDTVs myself.

All TVs must read and translate the information into image, in theory every single TV ever made has lag. The thing is TVs have a native resolution and other ones. They also have different sort of video cards if you will that display video in different ways. (I don't know the very, very technical things but I'll try to explain as best what I understand is right, but I might be wrong) Consoles also have a native resolution output. The lag that comes from most HDTVs is when its native output does not match its video card or the Consoles native resolution. What happens when one of these don't match is that the resolution must be converted. If your Wii is trying to send its 480i image to your 1080p HDTV, the HDTV needs to convert that image to a resolution it can display. This increases lag to a notable level. If your TV card is not HDMI and you are trying to display an HDMI device, it might also need to convert the image.

Now, when the native resolution options of the TV, the console and the TV's video card match, there is no conversion needed and image is displayed with no delay which would mean a lag of the same intensity as a SD/CRT TV with AV cables on an old console (which is so little people assume there's none). I wouldn't be surprised if using the Wii U on an SD TV makes it lag quite honestly, as the Wii U most probably convert the image to the new resolution before sending it (as the TV doesn't support other resolutions).

Kamiko

Smash Ace
All TVs must read and translate the information into image, in theory every single TV ever made has lag. The thing is TVs have a native resolution and other ones. They also have different sort of video cards if you will that display video in different ways. (I don't know the very, very technical things but I'll try to explain as best what I understand is right, but I might be wrong) Consoles also have a native resolution output. The lag that comes from most HDTVs is when its native output does not match its video card or the Consoles native resolution. What happens when one of these don't match is that the resolution must be converted. If your Wii is trying to send its 480i image to your 1080p HDTV, the HDTV needs to convert that image to a resolution it can display. This increases lag to a notable level. If your TV card is not HDMI and you are trying to display an HDMI device, it might also need to convert the image.

Now, when the native resolution options of the TV, the console and the TV's video card match, there is no conversion needed and image is displayed with no delay which would mean a lag of the same intensity as a SD/CRT TV with AV cables on an old console (which is so little people assume there's none). I wouldn't be surprised if using the Wii U on an SD TV makes it lag quite honestly, as the Wii U most probably convert the image to the new resolution before sending it (as the TV doesn't support other resolutions).
Is the Xbox 360 supposed to lag through HDMI? Because I've seen listings of supposed tests showing most TVs having over a frame's worth of lag, and what I've used reflects that. This applies to the Wii U as well.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
How exactly are they wired if you can pick them up and move around with them? Are the wires invisible?

Only Gamepads were forcefully wired to the console and even then I think that comment is sort of a stretch, but there were at least 4 Mario Kart booths and 4 Mario 3D World with non wired wiimotes and nunchuks.
I haven't gone to recent E3's. It's possible they no longer use wired Wii remotes.

However, 4 booths is very little compared to the tournament norm.

You are correct that the HDTV lag is a non-issue today, but I am concerned about bluetooth interference from 100+ controllers in a room.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
I haven't gone to recent E3's. It's possible they no longer use wired Wii remotes.

However, 4 booths is very little compared to the tournament norm.

You are correct that the HDTV lag is a non-issue today, but I am concerned about bluetooth interference from 100+ controllers in a room.
Thats 4 booths per game.

Mario 3D had 4, Mario Kart had 4, Bayonetta had 2, Wonderful 101 3, Pikmin 3 had 3, Wind Waker had 4, DKC had 4, Super Luigi had 2, the new Sonic had 2. (This is all from the top of my head, I am just saying the booth placements I remember, there could have easily been more, I cannot recall).

Also most of these games are 2-4 players.

But I agree with you. I am still concerned about wether or not there will be interference.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Thats 4 booths per game.

Mario 3D had 4, Mario Kart had 4, Bayonetta had 2, Wonderful 101 3, Pikmin 3 had 3, Wind Waker had 4, DKC had 4, Super Luigi had 2, the new Sonic had 2. (This is all from the top of my head, I am just saying the booth placements I remember, there could have easily been more, I cannot recall).

Also most of these games are 2-4 players.

But I agree with you. I am still concerned about wether or not there will be interference.
I think it is something to be concerned with, at least until we can test it out. As of now, the only wireless controllers being used are the people who use Wavebirds and the players who use the wiimote/nun-chuck combo. When Sm4sh comes out, everyone will be using wireless controllers as there is no way to connect with wires.

Dash000

Smash Rookie
Gamecube adapter says hello.
Honestly, if people STILL have to use the Gamecube controller for SSBU... that is really sad. Just accept that a new console means a new controller to get used to.

Renji64

Smash Lord
Honestly, if people STILL have to use the Gamecube controller for SSBU... that is really sad. Just accept that a new console means a new controller to get used to.
What's wrong with a gamecube adapter it is about preference i learned to used other controls still prefer the gamecube. The controller isn't gonna make anyone the better player.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
What's wrong with a gamecube adapter it is about preference i learned to used other controls still prefer the gamecube. The controller isn't gonna make anyone the better player.
I think most people are missing the point that its not the controller that makes the player. Its the player that makes the controller... I mean player. I'm confused...

Joking aside, different people have different playstyles. They should do what is going to maximize their enjoyment in playing this game. If that means continuing to use the same controller for 20 years, then so be it. If it means changing controller every single match to keep it challenging for yourself, then do it!

Top Bottom