• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are we Going to Deal with the Casuals?

Metallaeus

Smash Apprentice
first of all, im pretty damn positive there will be no ways or means of communication maybe other than the short taunt phrases that existed in brawl. second of all, if u cant beat a 'casual' and just move on from it, i mean, come on. Also there is the solution of just playing with people on smashboards since most of them will probably be at least better than what you can find randomly online.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Unless I'm playing my friends or good competitive players, I tend to use characters that I don't normally use to win, just to improve on my faults.
It's all in good fun that way.

Arn Allen

Smash Rookie
NNID
Aallen91
3DS FC
1633-4697-5388
As a somewhat casual/competitive player I don't mind playing casual matches with friends but i also don't mind playing competitive matches when i can besides casuals aren't that bad they just prefer to play smash differently then how competitive players.

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
SSON

U wanna fite

I come over there

XD

If a casual says this will you worry? I mean, that is probably the worst that will happen, you will watch people fall for early Internet tropes like the Internet was invented yesterday

It will be hilarious not tiresome

Hickory

Smash Cadet
This is very frustrating. Wi-fi on the 3ds version (and later), is going to be plagued with 7 year old children, thinking they're the best players in the world, spamming buttons. I don't mind casual players, as long as they don't go around claiming to be the best, and when they lose, start spurting johns such as "u cheted" "tht wan't me plying, it ws my brthr. u suk" I didn't really play much Brawl, but from what I've played I can see the problems the community has with it.
Why does it matter? Just play the game. They claim to be better than they are, beat them. They lie about why they lost, ignore them and beat them again. They can't get in the way of you enjoying the game if you don't engage them.

Last edited:

Alakaslam

Smash Ace
I eagerly await taunt canceling working

"La la la, la YAH* la!" (*fair)

Sonic brethren have it even better;
"You're too slow!" (Meteor)

Play with class, until BM

Then, commence the above

D

Deleted member

So.. Why are you here then?
If they dislike or don't want the 3DS version, or say ''Wii U is bettah'' then there's no point on posting in a 3DS thread, so I agree with you man. Back to topic, it's just a game. We shouldn't treat the casual players as enemies, like @NoR4U said. They should be treated the same as the competitive players.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
It should also be noted that you won't be able to distinguish between a "casual" and "competitive" player in anonymous play online.

I could be the best player in the world, win every EVO tournament etc.

But then I suddenly decide to visit the For Glory lobbies and just:

All day, err'day. Because why not, *****? :V

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Just beat them. If they actually want to improve, they'll improve. If they want to be a scrub, they'll be a scrub. There really isn't any other way of doing this.

Soul.

Casual players will play in the For Fun mode. Sure, they can play on For Glory as well just to see how competitive Smash Bros. is like. That doesn't mean casual players can't be competitive---they can.
If players want to play with other competitive players, they can post on the 3DS Friend Code Sharing thread. The casual players can also play with other casuals on With Friends, or they can try to play competitively with others online. I don't see the problem.
The casual players aren't the competitive players' enemies. They have the right to play their game the way they want to play it. This goes to competitive players, too. They can play with no items and in neutral stages.

As I said in other threads, Wii U players can use the 3DS version as a training ground, while 3DS players play their game competitively.

What if we ARE the casual players that claim to be the best while spurting johns? How will we deal with the competitive players?
If we are the casual players, then we do our best to deal with competitive players in a match. If a casual player loses in a competitive match, that only means they get better, because they see the mistakes they did on their previous match and don't do them again in the next one.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Granted this is preemptive, but there may be some sort of blocking mechanism where you can appear offline to users you've played recently that you select. For Glory will definitely weed out lots of casuals, and you can always disconnect if people are being stupid. I don't think there will be an advanced messaging system in Smash 4, but more like how Mario Kart 8 allows you to say short preprogrammed sentence fractures. And to avoid people just spamming them, there was a short time limit put in place (could have been shorter, but it was fine). And there may be some casuals who are starting out on For Glory--I actually started playing PM competitively starting on Wi-Fi, though I had been on the boards for years at that point. So don't write us all off haha.
Stereotyping is never good, except when it comes to food maybe. :p

iNinja5567

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNinja5567
3DS FC
1435-5269-0072
You play people based on skill level. So in no time at all you should be playing against people that are about your skill level. Also most casuals probably won't play on for glory because they will find it boring. But if there are a considerable amount, like I said above, you'll play against people your skill level and, if you are as you claim you are (I'm not doubting you I'm just pointing it out), them you'll grind (the casuals you play against) to pieces and they will probably end up hating for glory and just play for fun (like most of them undoubtedly will.)
Yeah, There is some sorting based on skill, so casuals won't show up much if you play online consistently.

chrisall76

Smash Apprentice
NNID
chrisall76
3DS FC
2921-9185-8763
There is no voice chat, and taunt messages don't work online (unless your with your friends). So dealing with them won't be as hard as you make it to be.

BADGRAPHICS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2406-5113-4228
Personally, I'm going to play Smash Bros. with the casuals.
Anybody who wants to play Smash Bros. is OK in my book.

RunawayPanda

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NiftySSB
There's certain casuals that annoy me and the ones that I can just play for fun with
The ones that think they're good, but they're garbage
I was trying to show a guy that u shouldn't overly use kirby's down b or not use it at all (brawl)
I was meta knight just cuz it was for fun and I'm not that good with him, I literally grab him like 7 times out of the block and he thinks he's good, since I got hit by it on that last try -.-
Anyways, u deal with casuals by wrecking them and once they realize what they''re doing doesn't work anymore, they will have to find ways to become legit

Potpourri

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2921-9942-8562
It just depends on how many there are in the first place. Anyways, why judge? This is some people's first ever Smash game, give them some space. Not everyone you play is going to be an "XTREmE HIGH LEVEL SMAhrrR!11". Quit being so mean to unskilled players, everyone was one at some point.

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
Just beat them (or go easy on them, OR kinda help them) . BUT, if its the Trash Talkers.....

Last edited:

Ragna22

Smash Ace
Put them in their place, simple as that, they'll learn to get better eventually, assuming they don't give up and move to For Fun mode,

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I fail to see how this is a problem, "casuals" have always existed. Having a good online won't chance this, Nintendo is super picky over online communication, meaning there probably won't be annoying kids screaming and yelling over mics. Even if mic chat is integrated, there will probably some way to turn it off. With button mashers, just play them, they'll get better at the game faster by playing experienced players, as opposed to getting disconnected by said players because they're "casuals". An online community can't exist without getting fresh blood in, if we ignore new players, Smash 4's online will be a dedicated niche within a year at best or a ghost town at worst.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Topics like this that the original poster created make me embarrassed to be a fan of video games period. People who aren't pros can easily be avoided if that's what you really want.

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
1) Beat them

2) Don't be an elitist **** about it
This. It's not a big deal, man! If they're worse than you, just don't worry about it and move on to the next match! If you're worried about pub matches, find some people to play with that are better competition for you (some around here I'm sure would qualify).

I'm not really saying anything that hasn't already been said, I'm just flabbergasted that this is an issue for you. The game's supposed to be fun, and there will be kids playing it who aren't very mature (because they're, y'know, kids). If anything, be sportsmanlike and try to help them realize that being salty doesn't solve anything. :)

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Burn them with fire until they turn into Mew2King

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
If you find casuals, fight them, beat t- wow this thread is starting to sound like a broken record.

Dude, just have fun with the game. There's no voice chat and I doubt there will be actual chatting. They can't complain after you pound them into oblivion. This is Super Smash Brothers we're talking about. Now when the game comes out I want you to go out there and have a blast with it. Okay? This goes to everyone else on this thread.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
I say let the casuals be casuals, let the little kids be the little twerps, and let the competitive people be competitive, simple enough. Where do I stand in all this? Well competitive first but I can also be casual as well, I dont discriminate people for how they play a fighting game. Competitive? Cool good on ya! Casual? Cool good on ya too!

bigbro2233

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo should make it so you can only play Smash 4 if you are competitive enough.
"Are you bad enough to make it into the Smash Bros. Spittoon?"

"I found out Mewtwo and Ridley weren't playable characters, and I only cried for forty minutes."

"Get outta here."

But seriously, I don't think this is the way to go.

Superior Spider-Mew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MiniRagnarok
Nintendo should make it so you can only play Smash 4 if you are competitive enough
What if the person likes smash bros but doesn't play competitive? Are they screwed because they just want to have fun with the game and play against people who are also fans of the series? I'm sorry but that's just really one sided and frankly I'm not sure if you're actually serious about that or not lol

Crome

#ROBSquad
NNID
sboles66
3DS FC
1289-8218-1492
Switch FC
SW 7896 6401 6209
We will take out our foxes and destroy them with non if their fancy items. They will be crushed by our mighty shines because they don't out in 100+ of work a weak.

LIQUID12A

Smash Modder
NNID
LIQUID12A
3DS FC
0877-1606-0815
Even though I sorta sympathize to a minor degree with the OP due to coming from that ripoff Smashers dont like talking about PSASBR, I must admit; who the hell cares? Just fight them like any other player and be done with it.

If it's a whiner, WHO CARES. If it's a trash talker with no skill? Just beat him, plain and simple. And record it :troll:

Casuals will be casuals. You can't change them, so roll with it.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Muh competitiveness! If you are so good at Smash, just beat the heck out of the casuals. It shouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish, right?
I don't care, since I don't plan on playing the 3DS version.
Then what the **** are you doing in the 3DS board? Damn, I hate people like this.
The sad thing is that I have no one to play with.
Neither do I. The difference is that I don't think this is a sad thing. Playing video games with people you know irl ****ing sucks.

The reason I post in Smash Bros-related boards is exactly to find people to play ONLINE with me.

Last edited:

☆Jazz☆

Jazzin' All Day
NNID
DaGama21
3DS FC
0920-3971-2053
7/10 most people on this board would beat me in matches. I'm good, but i'm not THAT good....or is I?! O.o

Last edited:

ShrekItRalph

Smash Ace
The smasher comes from the bottom of the arena
What if the person likes smash bros but doesn't play competitive? Are they screwed because they just want to have fun with the game and play against people who are also fans of the series? I'm sorry but that's just really one sided and frankly I'm not sure if you're actually serious about that or not lol
I was being sarcastic, I play Smash pretty casually.

Top Bottom