• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How are you guys planning to play Smash 4?

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
I'm aware that there's a GC to Wii U adapter but I was just watching a review and apparently the control stick isn't calibrated precisely and you have to hold l/r to all the way to shield..Does anyone have any experience with the classic controller and how that works in comparison to GC? Here's a link for the adapter for whoever's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/Mayflash-Nintendo-GameCube-Controller-Adapter-Wii/dp/B00BS520SG

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I moved on years ago.
Used the Wiimote and Nunchuck for Brawl.
The Gamecube controller was a good controller... for that system.
The Wii U Pro controller is an excellent controller. Love it for Wind Waker.
Used a different controller for each Smash game, planning to do so with this one.

As long as you have the GC controller you are playing with that Melee mentality.
Smash is about adapting to different play styles.
You're never adapting if you refuse to try a new way to play.

What happens if you go to a party and they have Smash but only have Wii U Pro controllers?
Will you go through the hassle of going back to get your adapter or just refuse to play?

unwelc0med

Smash Journeyman
I moved on years ago.
Used a different controller for each Smash game, planning to do so with this one.

As long as you have the GC controller you are playing with that Melee mentality.
this is a minor qualm but does the size/positioning of the B button on GC controller as opposed to Wii U Pro make a difference to you?

dnNCEW

Smash Rookie
I think I'm gonna go for the pro controller. Definitely not using the gamepad in the event that another player on the same system needs to use it. yeesh, no thanks.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
this is a minor qualm but does the size/positioning of the B button on GC controller as opposed to Wii U Pro make a difference to you?

There's a learning curve to it, but I don't mind it.
It reminds me of the classic controllers with the layout.
So it was easy for me to pick up.
I've been away from a GC controller for years now so it wasn't that big of a change.
I'm sure you'll feel uncomfortable with it at first, but it's not as big of a change as the Wiimote and Nunchuck was.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Classic Controller Pro.

These controls.

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL/ZR = Shield
Tap jump off.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Classic Controller Pro.

These controls.

Classic Controller Pro:

x & a = Jump
y = Special
b = Standard Attacks
L & R = Grab
ZL/ZR = Shield
Tap jump off.
That's exactly like my Classic Controller Pro button layout.

Except the only difference is I have L as shield as well. Only R is grab.

Which is probably the controller and layout I'm using for the next one. One of the greatest things that was added to Brawl, even Melee players have to admit it was a good idea, was the custom controls.

Why can't they make Tap Jump OFF be the default setting?

I mean seriously, does anyone use tap jump?

Morbi

Scavenger
That's exactly like my Classic Controller Pro button layout.

Except the only difference is I have L as shield as well. Only R is grab.

Which is probably the controller and layout I'm using for the next one. One of the greatest things that was added to Brawl, even Melee players have to admit it was a good idea, was the custom controls.

Why can't they make Tap Jump OFF be the default setting?

I mean seriously, does anyone use tap jump?
I use tap jump, then again, I main Jiggypuff. So it is a little more practical for characters like her.

I moved on years ago.

Smash is about adapting to different play styles.
You're never adapting if you refuse to try a new way to play.

What happens if you go to a party and they have Smash but only have Wii U Pro controllers?
Will you go through the hassle of going back to get your adapter or just refuse to play?
To be fair, it is hard. I was using the Gamecube controller and my Wii broke, forcing me to buy a Wii U right before the price drop (I just wanted to get it out of the way). So I decided that it was time to move on and adapt to the classical pro controller. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I lost to level 3 CPUs. I have gotten better, I can now handle level 6 computers, maybe level 7 if I am feeling risky.

PikaJew

Banned via Warnings
I use tap jump, then again, I main Jiggypuff. So it is a little more practical for characters like her.

To be fair, it is hard. I was using the Gamecube controller and my Wii broke, forcing me to buy a Wii U right before the price drop (I just wanted to get it out of the way). So I decided that it was time to move on and adapt to the classical pro controller. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I lost to level 3 CPUs. I have gotten better, I can now handle level 6 computers, maybe level 7 if I am feeling risky.

In my opinion the Wii U Pro controller is much more comfortable than the Wii Classic and Classic Pro controllers so I have high hopes. Plus I never really used those controllers for anything besides Virtual Console games.
For Wii U I have been using the Wii U Pro for Wind Waker and have been loving it.
Very easy to get used to.
And it's very similar in build to the XBOX 360 controller which made it much more comfortable to hold.

The build of the controller is much more comfortable to fit in your hands.
In my opinion the 360 is the most comfortable controller ever made, so it was an easy transition for me.
Plus the position of the control sticks helps.

Morbi

Scavenger
In my opinion the Wii U Pro controller is much more comfortable than the Wii Classic and Classic Pro controllers so I have high hopes. Plus I never really used those controllers for anything besides Virtual Console games.
For Wii U I have been using the Wii U Pro for Wind Waker and have been loving it.
And it's very similar in build to the XBOX 360 controller which made it much more comfortable to hold.
I am using the Wii Pro controller, I hope that the Wii U Pro controller is as good as you say. The control stick feels "blocky" and delicate (breakable), it isn't too sensitive either. It feels like I really have to put some force into my movements to get it to work. Not to mention that I sometimes side smash backwards... really? I have trouble down smashing on thin platforms, sometimes I just fall through them. The experience has been cringe-worthy. I am not usually this way, I sometimes switch between two completely different Playstation/Xbox controllers during the same play session with no issues. I am just to used to the GameCube controller I guess.

Hopefully the Wii U Pro controller is better. I don't see why it wouldn't be.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043

The build of the controller is much more comfortable to fit in your hands.
In my opinion the 360 is the most comfortable controller ever made, so it was an easy transition for me.
Plus the position of the control sticks helps.
I've held the Wii U Pro controller in my hands and it hurts like hell, just like a 360 controller. It's just not comfortable. XD

So sorry to say, I believe the opposite.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
The classic controller is pretty good once you get the hang of it. I was using one pretty much all through Brawl, and I can barely tell the difference between it and a gamecube controller (despite the controller falling apart now lol).

I've held the Wii U Pro controller in my hands and it hurts like hell, just like a 360 controller. It's just not comfortable. XD

So sorry to say, I believe the opposite.

Really!? I honestly believe the Wii U Pro controller feels the best out of any controller I've ever held. Your fingers don't get jammed up in the back like on Xbox, and the curves of it just feel natural (dem sexy curves).

Mr.Universe

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1864-9620-1149
Hmm, I'm really interested in this discussion. I don't have a Wii U yet, but I plan to get one before December. I know I was pretty good in Brawl with a Classic Controller, but I'm not sure about what I'll use for 4 without a GC. I guess I'll try both and see what happens, but I think I may lean toward the Classic Pro, only because I'm not sure if I like the placement of the buttons/right analog stick on the Wii U Pro Controller.

Morbi

Scavenger
Hmm, I'm really interested in this discussion. I don't have a Wii U yet, but I plan to get one before December. I know I was pretty good in Brawl with a Classic Controller, but I'm not sure about what I'll use for 4 without a GC. I guess I'll try both and see what happens, but I think I may lean toward the Classic Pro, only because I'm not sure if I like the placement of the buttons/right analog stick on the Wii U Pro Controller.
That is actually how I felt at first. That is why I just got the Wii Pro as opposed to the Wii U Pro. I regret the decision if the Wii U Pro is that much better. I honestly think that the Wii Pro controller is a piece of crap. I am not surprised that Niko's is falling apart. I am afraid of breaking mine too.

Vintage Creep

Smash Master
NNID
VintageCreep
Pro Controller and Wiimote+Nunchuck. I already have at least 4 usable controllers for the game: perfection.

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
With the Wii U Pro, you can be a C-STICKING MACHINE lol. Seriously, that controller is just asking you to do it.

chaoswafflez04

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlazingBlaziken4
How am I going to play Smash Bros.? HOW? Simple answer: Upside-down with zero-gravity, inside-out on a Yoshi with a moustache on fire wearing 3-D glasses while eating Turkey Hill Double Dunker flavor ice cream in a secret underwater volcano lair in space in another galaxy in the 5th dimension 300 years from now. THAT'S how I'm gonna play Smash Bros.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Honestly, I dun know yet. It really just depends on which controller sends the inputs the fastest. For a while I was using the CCP and was liking it but I eventually discovered that the put commands come out slower then the GCC for Brawl which made me go back to the GCC, however I believe that is due to the fact that Brawl was still made with the intention of the GCC being the main controller to be used for Brawl. Thought in the end I doubt I will bother to even buy the Wii-U Pro because I don't like the positioning of the right stick, even on the original 360 controller I believe the right stick was at the bottom. And I doubt I will bother with the GCC adapter since it is suppose to fool the Wiimote into thinking it is a CCP and thus should have the same input command times as a CCP, I think anyways. Probably the CCP in the end, but I might end up changing my mind depending on unforeseen situations.

As for my control scheme on the CCP.

Y = Attack
x = Special
B = Jump
A = Grab
ZR = Grab
L/R/ZL = Shield

Two grabs for different situations. A will be the main grab button, however ZR is there just in case for easier access to possible ATs that may involve grabbing or the grab button, like DACUS from Brawl just for an example.

Morbi

Scavenger
Mayflash GameCube controller adapter with the DDR: Mario Mix dance pad.

Or the 3DS interface, I suppose.
How am I going to play Smash Bros.? HOW? Simple answer: Upside-down with zero-gravity, inside-out on a Yoshi with a moustache on fire wearing 3-D glasses while eating Turkey Hill Double Dunker flavor ice cream in a secret underwater volcano lair in space in another galaxy in the 5th dimension 300 years from now. THAT'S how I'm gonna play Smash Bros.
These answers are surprisingly articulate. I wish I came up with them. :estatic:

D

Deleted member

I'm going to use the Wii U Pro Controller with no tap jump, ZR and ZL be my shield and R and L be my grabs.

I might change what the A, B, X, and Y buttons do, but I'm not so sure yet until I play SSB4 myself with that controller.

It's stuff like this that makes me disappointed that the SSB4 website is only doing Pics of the Day and only showing character stuff. Not that's bad or anything, but I would like to know prior the modes in the game and controller styles eventually.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I'm still deciding between the CCP and the Wii U Pro controller. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Wii U Pro because I think it has a better feel and an incredible battery life. Also, if we are able map buttons again, I may end up mapping buttons the stick buttons to do different things on the Wii U Pro.

I do like the right stick placement on the CCP, but I feel I can get use to the r-stick on the Pro.

So I will more than likely try both, but I have a feeling I'll go with the Wii U Pro.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
II do like the right stick placement on the CCP, but I feel I can get use to the r-stick on the Pro.

That's the sole thing I dislike about the Wii-U Pro just at looking at it. Even the controller it is based off of had the r-stick at the bottom instead of the top. I don't think I could get use to ABYX being at the bottom. But this is just based on how it looks as I haven't been able to play on one. And if I do ever get a Wii-U I doubt I will bother with buying a Wii-U pro simply because I already own a CCP and I heard the Wii-U pro was a bit expensive, the only exception would be if it gets proven to be the superior controller for Smash.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I switched from the Gamecube Controller to only using the Classic Controller some time ago. Only annoying thing about it is that you have to have a Wii-Mote at the end of it at all times, it doesn't matter much and there's no connection issues no matter what way it's facing, but it feels like heavy baggage. Plus, the wire comes from the bottom of the controller, which is pretty annoying. Otherwise it's fairly simple, though it is odd that the analog and d-pad have switched places at first I quickly got used to it. The trigger buttons I can imagine would be a little odd if you haven't tried the controller, since they're on a rather flat surface and your fingers go up the rounding of the controller, but I've never minded. To me it's just much more simple and light than the Gamecube Controller, and I prefer that.

The Nyko Pro Controller is great. Way better than the official Nintendo one, cause the stick and buttons have switched placed to be more along the lines of Gamecube's and 360's controllers.

http://images.vg247.com/current//2013/01/Wii-U-pro-Controller-Nyko-600x349.jpg

Way more comfortable too. I imagine Smash4 will be great on it.
Looks like a pretty comfortable controller, but the fact that the A and B buttons are switched would make my head explode.

Alzi

Smash Master
I'll be going with the wii u pro controller with the following set up:

X = JUMP
A = ATTACK
B = SPECIAL ATTACK
Y = GRAB

Right control stick will be the new c-stick for me and shield will be the right trigger.

Basically coming from the gamecube controller just need to get use to the c-stick now being up and the new button placment.

For gamecube I had:

Y= JUMP
A = ATTACK
B = SPECIAL ATTACK
X = GRAB

But yeah won't be too bad after playing the game all day on its release I will definitely be use to the wii u pro controller.

the8thark

Smash Lord
I've played the SSB games with the GC controller and the first WiiU controller. The round white (like a snes controller) one. And both work well. I actually like the Wii one better.
I do own a WiiU pro controller too. Came with the MH3U WiiU box I got. And It's very nice but it's a little big for me. I have to really stretch the fingers to use as I have small hands. I'd rather just use the Wii controller I have but I'm not sure the WiiU games accept that.

The one plus with the WiiU pro controller is you can have it on USB tot he WiiU so it never runs out of battery. Forgetting to charge it and it runs low in the middle of an classic mode run or something would be pretty bad.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Gamepad for me. It's the most comfortable option and off-screen play is too good.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
The sticks on the WiiU controllers feel better than the ones on Wii controllers so I could make the switch this time.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Wii Balance Board. It's easier to wavedash with, especially when you have socks on.
I will play it both competitively and casually. but mostly competitively with Wii U pro controller.

Top Bottom