• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How can anyone have fun w/ this game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Mods please leave this up for a little while.

I feel the need to rant about Smash 4. How can anyone have fun with this game, unless you're in solo mode? Every time I go online, I always seem to get severely agitated and in some cases, end up insulting opponents via the handle. Its like today in For Fun (which is literally in this case, a joke for a name), I battled against a user with the name, "Dark Lord" and some other user who was using the handles, "Coke-ZERO," Samsung," and other names. They wouldn't stop mauling me, even though I asked for a chance and to be given a break. Smash is nothing like it was when I first really started getting involved with Melee, how does Sakurai honestly expect anyone to have fun with this game unless they are mind-readers, and have the game memorized to a T? Am I too serious, what is the problem?

Its as if, as if any enjoyable experience from Smash has totally been deluded in favor of the competitive beasts.

Alienz_King

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dman10063
3DS FC
2122-8341-7625
I see where you are coming from Foxus. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to competitive Smash play (and just playing Smash games in general) regardless of what game it is and who I am playing. I also get frustrated when I am getting mercilessly beaten to a pulp. The thing that I keep in mind is that I am a novice player who is trying to improve their skill. If you want to have fun, then get some friends and play Sm4sh casually.

Or, you could always do what fakevox said, but I hope you don't get chased away from the Smash series because everyone is to uber competitive.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Fun is subjective. I played For Fun and I thought it was atrocious, that's why I don't do it anymore. There's still penty of fun to be gad with mulitplayer modes. For Glory isn't even that conpetitive, and you can still play stuff like Smash Runb, Smash Tour, All-Star, Team Battles with your friends.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
I dunno, if you're not having fun, maybe you should stop playing. This isn't the first time you've started a thread like this and at this point I feel you may be forcing yourself to like Smash 4 (or Smash in general).

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I see where you are coming from Foxus. I am pretty inexperienced when it comes to competitive Smash play (and just playing Smash games in general) regardless of what game it is and who I am playing. I also get frustrated when I am getting mercilessly beaten to a pulp. The thing that I keep in mind is that I am a novice player who is trying to improve their skill. If you want to have fun, then get some friends and play Sm4sh casually.

Or, you could always do what fakevox said, but I hope you don't get chased away from the Smash series because everyone is to uber competitive.
Oh, I've been fighting on Smash since its first installment, I doubt I'm going anywhere. I sometimes wonder why did Melee have a "Tournament" option? I have a feeling that's when people started getting competitive. "Hey, this games got a Tourney option! Let's go at it!" Don't get me wrong, Melee most likely has the best Adventure Mode to date, topping Brawl despite its inclusion of cutscenes.

I might take a day or two off to at least regain some of my composure.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Losing to random people shouldn't bother you, it's just a videogame.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Oh, I've been fighting on Smash since its first installment, I doubt I'm going anywhere. I sometimes wonder why did Melee have a "Tournament" option? I have a feeling that's when people started getting competitive. "Hey, this games got a Tourney option! Let's go at it!" Don't get me wrong, Melee most likely has the best Adventure Mode to date, topping Brawl despite its inclusion of cutscenes.
The tournament scene started because it's been a thing in fighting games since Street Fighter II. Sakurai himself said he won a SFII tourney in his youth, competitive tournaments have been around for as long as fighting games have. Melee just happened to have the technical depth and popular characters that people want to play with.

Tournament Mode exists so people have another mode to challenge their friends in, it's just for fun and has nothing to do with the competitive scene. Competitive tournaments don't use Tournament Mode.

D

Deleted member 269706

I have fun because I really enjoy the aspect of out thinking my opponents and finding new ways to win. I also enjoy the crazy jank and wild crap that comes out of free for all's. If the only way you "have fun" is by winning, then this isn't for you. You have to enjoy the game for what it is. Not for winning, not for being WAY better, but as a game to fight against others. Hell, sometimes I even have fun when someone is beating the crap out of me just because of how stylish they are in the process. There's more to it than winning, and if you can get past that, you'll really start to enjoy it.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
I have fun because I really enjoy the aspect of out thinking my opponents and finding new ways to win. I also enjoy the crazy jank and wild crap that comes out of free for all's. If the only way you "have fun" is by winning, then this isn't for you. You have to enjoy the game for what it is. Not for winning, not for being WAY better, but as a game to fight against others. Hell, sometimes I even have fun when someone is beating the crap out of me just because of how stylish they are in the process. There's more to it than winning, and if you can get past that, you'll really start to enjoy it.
Yeah, but I don't think its too unreasonable to say you start getting agitated after loss after loss after loss after loss.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yeah, but I don't think its too unreasonable to say you start getting agitated after loss after loss after loss after loss.
If I lose way too many times in a row at something, I go take a break from the game (ranging from a few hours to even days) and, next time I play it, I try to figure out what I did wrong to lose so much.

D

Deleted member 269706

I agree that it's not fun. Honestly, I find the game WAY more fun when I'm not playing online. When I'm with a friend or at a tourney. Playing online isn't that fun, and even the best of players can be affected by it. Get involved with your local scene, it's way better. Know when to stop though, it's important.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There are people who don't see what's enjoyable about what you like, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom