• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How characters should earn the special

Ryu777

Smash Ace
I think the way that makes the most sense for a character to recieve the special is not simply by it dropping to the ground like a normal item, but by doing something difficult to do that earns you the special. For instance; dealing a 50% or more combo, reading your opponent and not being hit for a long time while still hitting them, getting the crowd to cheer for you. It would make the most snese if there were an invisible meter that the player could not see, but would build up by doing difficult tasks such as the ones listed above. It could also e used to balance the match, so if someone just got three stocked, they would get a super to try and catch up.

Farsoul

Smash Cadet
It is probably something that you can turn on/off during the match but it might work in the same way that you described. Though if it were an item I can just picture how the CPU would react to it..same with pokeballs or healing items, y'know?

Super Smash Master

Smash Lord
There could be a special gauge for it Ala Naruto Clash of Ninja. There must be a way to counter it though. Otherwise it seems really cheap. Especially Mario's since it covers the whole stage.

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
I think it's fair to say that the Supers wouldn't be KO moves, they'd just rack up damage. It'd be pretty cheap to get a free kill just because someone's been on the downside the whole game. That way, they'd still have to work for the kill.

Anyways, a meter would be a good idea. Has anyone here played the Advance Wars series? It's a turn-based strategy series where every army's commanding officer has a CO Power. You can use it when the Power Meter has filled up, and it fills up based on how much damage your units do, and also how much damage your units take.

Perhaps the Supers could work something like that. Based on how much % you give out and/or take, the meter could rise. This wouldn't be too hard to incorportate, either, because SSBM already tracks damage dished out/damage taked in the Data section.
-Lord Sturm

lordsturm473

Smash Cadet
A button combination sounds too exploitable, if that is the only thing that causes the Super to initiate. Perhaps once the "meter" fills up, a button combo would start the Super?
-Lord Sturm

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
It should either strictly be the item shown in the video (the sphere with the smash logo on it), or it should be, as hinted at by Sakurai, a sort of meter that builds up under certain conditions. If it is a meter, it must be turn-off-able incase these super moves are broken.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Hyper-Link said:
When did Sakuria hint there there was a super meter? It was clearly a special item that triggers these things....
At smashbros.com under the character descriptions, it says that Wario's fart special builds up over time. I didn't say that all characters would have a "super meter". He also said something about other conditions - I'm just too lazy to look right now.

icymatt

Smash Lord
That's what I was thinking too, but my line was more along 'The longer you wait and more fighting you do, the stronger your super attack will be'.

If they do have a meter, it should just be a fiery aura that builds up around your character's symbol.

Doggalina

Smash Lord
Chicagoland (NW Indiana)/Purdue West Lafayette
Paranoid_Android said:
At smashbros.com under the character descriptions, it says that Wario's fart special builds up over time. I didn't say that all characters would have a "super meter". He also said something about other conditions - I'm just too lazy to look right now.
He didn't say that Wario's "Wario Waft" attack would be Wario's special. It's probably a B move.

Ninja Lou

Smash Rookie
Hopefully it is a meter, but I think it should reset if you die. This I think will help keep them from being to powerful and over used. Seeing how Mario's takes up the whole screen and I assume Wario's will take up alot of space too.

Bedlamite

Smash Cadet
I think a sysetm like in Advance Wars would work very well, just like lordsturm473 said. And if it is a team battle you could combine supers with your team-mate like in Advance Wars: Dual Strike.

MetalGearLink

Smash Apprentice
ok let's be realistic, if the supermoves are overpowered it should be an iten.
but if they are powerfull but not overpowered it should be a normal move cause it can improve the gameplay and add more strategy

Wolfblade

Smash Lord
Maby some stage specific supers as well as the items... like if yer in pkmn stadium, an electric field will pop and in one spot of the stage send a jolt of electricity that initiates the super for pikachu/ pichu... if pichu doesn't get booted for the likes of blaziken or rukario (from next gem pkmn... least i think thats the spellin'). It would give characters a home field advantage but again, it could be turned off if yer too afraid of gettin' omega thundered by pikachu.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
lordsturm473 said:
I think it's fair to say that the Supers wouldn't be KO moves, they'd just rack up damage. It'd be pretty cheap to get a free kill just because someone's been on the downside the whole game. That way, they'd still have to work for the kill.
Check out the video and look at Marios special. 2 KO's, also why wouldn't Links special be a 1 hitter quitter. But the Kirby pot thing is just......

Jiikae

Typing of the Red
Duality said:
Check out the video and look at Marios special. 2 KO's, also why wouldn't Links special be a 1 hitter quitter. But the Kirby pot thing is just......
Two KO's? I don't remember that!!!? :confused: anyway I think What the person who made this thread said shuold be implemented. Here's my idea of the some balanced ways to implement the "Supermove" system: Make the crowd cheer really really loud loud/Super impossible recovery builds up meter, Pull off 3 meteor smashes, or hit a certain amount of times without getting hit and when you die it resets. Yea, I think everyone should have a different meter(although I doubt Sakurai will implement this) like Mario has fire slowly surrounding his mushroom symbol, Link's triforce slowly forms. Just some thoughts I'm putting out there.

soneill1986

Smash Rookie
Hyper-Link said:
When did Sakuria hint there there was a super meter? It was clearly a special item that triggers these things....
Couldn't that have just been an item that adds to a guage?

Farsoul

Smash Cadet
Although I'm sure there is some sort of item that causes this, if it does work like a meter it would most definately be able to be turned on/off. The reason I say this is because Smash isn't just about beating the heck out of each other, it is also a very highly customizable game. I mean, most fighting games don't get to let you edit all of the options with as much freedom as SSB and SSB:M and with the special modes of Melee it would be highly likely that it is in fact able to be turned off and on.

On another note I was wondering just how would it work out in a team match? Say two on two and I have my teammates mario on my team and he uses the special attack which basically hits everything on screen..would I be able to dodge it? I mean with friendly fire on it would be kind of lame still that you would still be able to hit your teammates with specials. What about Link's special, it seems to target only one person so what if my teammate accidentally targets me? Would there be a way to cancel it?..

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
I think it would be better if the person who is losing gets the super. Just to even things up a little. If someone is pwning already, then a super would just do more damage.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
commonyoshi said:
I think it would be better if the person who is losing gets the super. Just to even things up a little. If someone is pwning already, then a super would just do more damage.
Wouldn't people purposly lose, get the special, and catch up then own them with the special.

Duality

Smash Journeyman
Jeike said:
Two KO's? I don't remember that!!!? :confused:
Yea he did it to Link and Kirby I think. He did that super kamehameha bs and killed them both.

The Jive Professor

Smash Apprentice
While a meter would probably be the most efficient way to implement supers, and the fairest, it doesn't seem to fit the entire design of the Smash Bros system.

Having a 'meter' with defined limits is much more in the vein of a traditional 2D fighter (Street Fighter, King of fighters, etc.) in that as you do attacks/take damage/parry/etc. it fills. In most fighting games all things are meters: health, super, guard crush, etc. Smash Bros went a different route making all things 'relative' in that health is not clearly defined. After 'x' number of hits you do not simply die or fly off the screen, death/recovery is theoretically possibly at any % rating. So having a super meter that fills up after 'x' number of moves/blocks/damage/etc. would be a radical change in the format for Smash Bros.

Not to say that it's not a great idea, it just seems odd that they would change the design in that manner.

SMB PORTAL

Smash Ace
Personally, I am not much for how you get the special. I am concered about it getting old quick and if they should make multiple specials so they don't get old.

I am supporting not having them appear very often. The less there is the more we get our classic smashing. I am not saying I don't like the idea, but there has to be a limit to keep the game what we all know and love.

-SMB

Ryu777

Smash Ace
I meant a sort invisible meter, that for doing cool thigns such as combos or doing a three stock. the player would not know when they were gonna gte it by actaully seeing the meter but would be a sort of gift from the gods of smash. I like the idea someone presented before, about your character gaining a fiery aura around them indicating how close they were to receiving tht special item. ALso, I dont think you should be abel to turn it off, the specials will porbably do a good amount of damage, but dont guarantee an IKO

commonyoshi

Smash Hero
Duality said:
Wouldn't people purposly lose, get the special, and catch up then own them with the special.
I dont really think that the specials will be as all powerful as you think. Maybe the specials would come if you were losing by at least one or two lives.

ohhman11

Smash Rookie
to be honest i think they shouldnt have the special at ALL because it isnt the smash we all know and love? no its one of those street fighter games now which would bum me out never the less i am still happy it is coming out and i guess i could try a new change but for the specials i would want it to be an on and off thing because as i stated above its not the smash we know and love

Azukki

Smash Apprentice
I think a crowd pleasing (they continuosly cheer because you keep kicking a__) should cause a smash token item to fall on the stage, almost above the character. (maybe just a crowd favorite (any cheering at all))

However, the smash token should also be a standard, randomly appearing item, about as rare as a barrel cannon.

DainBramaged

Smash Ace
how bout if the super coins fall after a certain amount of damage has been done throughout the history of the battle your in, that or they fall once a certain amount of points have been earned like those melee ones. ex butterfingers, instants poser, star ko etc

stancosmos

Smash Journeyman
i dont like the 50 hit combo idea, because alot of people could get those every few seconds, Personally, i think it should be after dealing around 600%(not to one person or in a combo, but as a grand total), because in that sence, theres wont be 20 super smashes each game, thered only be a few.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Ryu777 said:
I think the way that makes the most sense for a character to recieve the special is not simply by it dropping to the ground like a normal item, but by doing something difficult to do that earns you the special. For instance; dealing a 50% or more combo, reading your opponent and not being hit for a long time while still hitting them, getting the crowd to cheer for you. It would make the most snese if there were an invisible meter that the player could not see, but would build up by doing difficult tasks such as the ones listed above. It could also e used to balance the match, so if someone just got three stocked, they would get a super to try and catch up.
Finally someone I agree with, i've been saying that for a while but there's a lot of haters out there :cry: about not being able to turn it off or specials ruining the "SSB experience"

Zink

Smash Champion
Hmmm... I have to say, meters are not really Smash canon, IMO. They're too Street Figgter and such. What's wrong with just having an item? There are people out there who CAN'T three stock people or do a 50% combo. Why ruin it for them?
Also, I didn't see Link and Kirby be KO'd by Mario's thing, they were just hurt.

LeonVII

Smash Apprentice
Zink said:
Hmmm... I have to say, meters are not really Smash canon, IMO. They're too Street Figgter and such. What's wrong with just having an item? There are people out there who CAN'T three stock people or do a 50% combo. Why ruin it for them?
Also, I didn't see Link and Kirby be KO'd by Mario's thing, they were just hurt.
Doing a 50% combo wouldn't be the only way to get a special so it would be fair. if someone was slow but did a lot of damage then that would be their way of getting it up or if someone was fast and could dodge then they could get their special up that way. No one said anything about people being able to save the special they might have a limited time to do it. Having the special as an item would suck because then anybody who sucks would be able to do it.

icymatt

Smash Lord
I'm still thinking Wario's profile is giving us a good indicator of how the super moves will work.

Andrew Ott

Smash Journeyman
LeonVII said:
Doing a 50% combo wouldn't be the only way to get a special so it would be fair. if someone was slow but did a lot of damage then that would be their way of getting it up or if someone was fast and could dodge then they could get their special up that way. No one said anything about people being able to save the special they might have a limited time to do it. Having the special as an item would suck because then anybody who sucks would be able to do it.
That's like saying, the people who stink at this game would lose a lot, so that would be unfair.

I think it will be an item. You didn't have to "earn" bob-ombs and and stars in either game. I also think it won't be as decimating as we expect.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
Guys,gals,wookies,ewaks,I do not know how many times I have said this,but I am here once more to say again.IT IS A F***IN ITEM!!!No bars,you can turn it off,it activates when you get it,ALL OF THIS WAS INPLIED IN tHE VIDEO!!!BARS WOULD SUCK!!!JUST DROP IT AND LOOK IN 1 OF 200 OTHER TOPICS!!!I BET I WILL HAVE SAID THIS SAME THING IN EVERY ONE I HAVE CARED TO READ!!!!!!!!IT IS A GOD D**N ITEM!!!

Cless

Smash Champion
From the look of the promo, the whole smash emblem thing looked like part of a cutscene, so there I agree that there probably will be some sort of condition to make the item appear.
There will probably be party supers and 1v1 supers because mario's super allowed link and kirby to still be moving while he was doing it, while it would be incredibly impractical to stop a whole ffa for the length of link's or kirby's. Plus, those moves would leave link and kirby really open if the move happened in real time.

Top Bottom