• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you begin to serve the King?

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
So while some people pick top tier characters or the low tier to show that they have potential, I feel like a special calling
is needed to serve King Dedede and main him.

I'm curious how other people chose to main King Dedede. Was it previous attachment from Kirby games? Fooling around with him one time and doing well with him surprisingly?

For me, it was Dededestroyed.

I saw it on tumblr and was in love and I had just gotten smash and knew I had to main King Dedede. Since then I watched all of the videos on that channel, made friends with him and he occasionally swings by and teaches me what he knows about how to serve the king.

Last edited:

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
A long time ago as a noob I didn't know how to land as Villager, so I picked up DDD with the command grab an it just stuck. I realy love Kirby the character, but I don't like to play him in Smash at all. Also DDD's heavy hits are just so satisfying. More so than any other heavy, imo.

imsoul

Smash Cadet
NNID
thesouldemon
3DS FC
3411-3945-3633
I was going through a main's crisis, so I went random, got 3D one time, and destroyed.

Putuk

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2723-9688-6533
Switch FC
SW-8387-2163-6416
Got tired of playing Ness, tried various characters and Dedede felt really good.
He also looked really good.

He's so handsome. <3

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I used to main lucario in brawl (when I didn't play competitively at all), and when smash 4 came out, I tried lucario again, and he just felt different. It's probably because I hadn't touched brawl for like a year, but my entire playstyle had changed. I found that took a liking to the heavies, and DDD quickly proved to be my favorite for obvious reasons, plus the kirby games were my childhood.

Eggggggggggbert

Smash Apprentice
I've always been a fan of heavies in general and they will be my usual go to, other than Ness who I try to make my main.
When Ness didn't click properly in SSB4, I did some soul searching.
The King was the first character that felt right, there's heart in swinging a bat that can be found in a hammer.
He was one of my most played in Brawl but never a competitive priority and I felt they did such a good job in adjusting his weight to something much more fitting. With his recovery improved and his hammer feeling better than ever, it just feels right.
OH ALSO GORDO TOO STRONG.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
I have a strange ability to just look at the CSS for a good five minutes, and say 'THAT ONE.'

That one this time around was Dedede. But I honestly fell in love with him, and will definitely make sure to at LEAST pocket if not main him in every other Smash game he is featured in.

So far, he's a tertiary in PM and a secondary in Brawl.

TMJ_Jack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TMJ_Jack
I picked him up at the end of Brawl's life. Some mutual friends of mine invited me over to play some Brawl. This was before PM got serious backing. I decided to find the trolliest looking character in Brawl, so that the mutual friends would feel stupid when they lost. It was between Dedede and Peach. Because Dedede had a taunt as a crouch, I chose him over Peach. That's about it. I've stuck to him out of love and loyalty. I never choose characters off the tier list. The secondaries are all from Kid Icarus because I loved Uprising's humor. Lucas in the tertiary because I like the story of Mother 3. (leik if u crie ery tim)

jaddasroots

Smash Rookie
NNID
jaddasbranch
I love hearing how everyone just kind of picked without much thought. A true calling to serve the king.

supersage400

Smash Cadet
NNID
Supersage400
3DS FC
4897-5984-7450
I was trying to main Robin for a while when it first came out. I tried Dedede because he was one of my Brawl mains. His playstyle just kind of naturally meshed with my own. I ended up winning more with him with no practice because we just fit so well together so I just said screw it and switched altogether. I just can't use any other character as well as I can use him. Makes finding a viable secondary a bit hard, honestly.

abx

Smash Journeyman
I was particiapting in a small, uncompetitive 3ds tournament in some other forum and there ws this dude playing Ike. He was dominating the rest and he was an ass about it and I was playing as Ness back then and had a hard time to compete. Then I decided to give it a try with the King and suddenly I mopped the floor with him and no one else had an idea how to deal with the King. That's when I realized how much his majesty's style suited me.

Girthquake

Smash Journeyman
NNID
R0cco_Siffredi
I played D3 in Brawl from the beginning to the end (as a casual) D3 was always my favorite "villian" from a game series in Nintendo and I always LOVED the Kirby series.

I mean the guy is a SELF PROCLAIMED king of Dreamland and he HOARDS all the snacks so everyone else starves. It's so maliciously cute.

KnightofPizza

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LergiOfficial
One day, I was on Smash 3DS, and this one dude rekt me with DDD (Back in my scrub days, when I thought I mained Jiggs) So I just thought, "Damn, Dedede's such a badass. I need to get on this cool train." And so began my uphill battle against the tier list. Dedede was also the first character that I had ever played as in Brawl, so it was easy to get back into him.

Top Bottom