• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

foxmccloud233

Smash Cadet
in the N64SSB i used kirby b/c of his B-down attack that sent people flying then i tried him in SSBM and he was hard to adjust to the new kirby then i tried fox one day and i was a natural at controlling him so now he is my main and i'm continuing on gettin down his wavedashes and shine spike combo's

CHUK

Smash Ace
Jiggz was the first character I ever 4 capped with but decided not to make it my main until later when I went full Jiggz.

Rob_West

Smash Journeyman
When I saw Ganondorf was in the game, I decided to main him. Especially after seeing how good he could be. I sorta messed around with other characters, but Ganon is my main through and through.

Also, I consider him to be the most awesome villian ever. <_<

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Back when I was an utter noob and thought beating 3 level 9 computers was an accomplishment, I played CF (this was on Smash 64). He was my first choice in Melee but he was way to fast for me, so I used Roy cuz I liked his phyre(LOL at my noobishness). When I unlocked Ganon I was like freaking woot, a slower version of Captain Falcon, I'm maining this guy. When I lost with him at a local tournament to a Marth, I got pissed and looked up vids of Eddie and the DBR vids. I read up on the advanced techniques and stuff and found that L cancelling made Ganon a lot better than simply spamming Wizard's Foot lol. So ya, Ganon's been my main man ever since, tho I do love C. Falcon again and probably use him about as much.

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Fox, love his speed in both games. the star fox games (n64 and snes) were a lot of fun to play as well. can't say I don't like the shine or the gun either. lol.

Mareg

Smash Rookie
pokemon was one of my favorite games when i was younger, and i still remember catching mewtwo and how friggin powerful he was against everything else. i did pick pikachu but then i realized mewtwo can do so much more. with just as good or better recovery and better throwing range and throws.

nitro-blazer

Smash Lord
was that the kirby discussion topic where omnigamer me and you would discuss certain things to experiment with and strategies and what not from gamefaqs? I think i still have a word doc of that entire topic on my laptop, it was like 250+posts long of USEFUL information! (YES! FROM GAMEFAQS!)
Sorry for the late post, but...

Yeah, it was. :laugh:

I was a Link main when I joined, and that topic was also there. About a month later I was like "Hey, I remember this topic." I opened it and my life changed forever. I've got it saved to my laptop as well. If I ever have enough free time I'll probably read through it.

Master of Chu

Smash Cadet
I picked up Smash a couple months after it came out. I started playing Pikachu becouse at the time I was (and still am, just not as much) into the Pokemon show and games.

Even after joining the forums and seeing the tier list I didn't change characters (although it did give me some insite as to why I always had such a hard time beating a friend of mine who plays Falco ) I've delved into other characters, but for some reason I couldn't ever bring myself to main anyone else.

Pika's hold over me is just...too...strong!

RPK

Smash Lord
Well my main is now Ganondorf, since when I first picked him up he was just awesome!! But then there is also my Jigglypuff who I picked up because of King and saw how deadly jigglypuff was. I still cant decide between the two of them but Ganon is pulling ahead a little bit...

Tongji

Smash Journeyman
Well the day that I got samsh, I played enough and got M2 and never stopped playing the tom cat. When I started to play competativly I just stuck with him through the good and bad. And now I play one mean mew two. :)

Ryuker Reo

Smash Apprentice
Well, it all started one day when I was playing with one of my friends and he started to beat me every single time. Now, that was a problem. You see, I was always the best of the group, so something was wrong. I got pissed and I started to play against him using every single character. That's when I used Samus for the first time. I was never so interested in Samus, so I had never used her. Even though I had no idea what I was doing, yup, I kicked his ***. That's the day I realized Samus had to be my main. And so, here I am months later still using Samus.

Battousai780

Smash Ace
Marth, because he is so kewl. People call me cheap, but before I got into competetive smash whenever I played Marth people told me that "Marth sucks" or "Marth is the worst character, roy is much better".... so basically I just stuck with Marth.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Hmm, my tournament character, will probally end being link and sheik, why? Because before I found out about the tier list those where my two best characters. and because im a huge zelda fan. Also, I found germs videos and I found out that sheik was the best character in the game, I never payed attention to links place on the tier list, nor sheiks for that matter, but I did develop sheik more once I found out about competitive play.

random smasher

Smash Apprentice
I started playing this game when it first came out and for the first half year, I couldn't beat anyone. That's until I started playing as marth. For the longest time he was the only character I could do anything with. When I discovered the world of competitive smash I began to practice with falco because of his shine, SHL, and amazing spike. Falco is currently my main but I also use marth often as well.

hockey007

Smash Cadet
My main is luigi because I used to think that having a higher jump is better >_<. After I learned about shorthopping and shffl's, I was thinking of giving him up, but his wavedash is too much to give up and seeing ka-master's vid of green-ish machine was enough of a reason to main him.. I also main marth because of his comboability and his awesome dair spike, even though I'd probably not main him if I was in europe, dair being a meteor smash is scary >_<.

cradmazy_SKAG

Smash Ace
way back in december of 2001.. i pressed B+UP while playing as link for the first time and said "holy shnit!!! links recovery doesnt kiss balls anymore, he can actually get back to the ledge!!!" ever since then ive been hooked...

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Roy > Peach > Fox > (Discovered the DBR videos) Jigglypuff > Marth > Captain Falcon > Shiek > Falco. I tried Falco on a whim, I was having a bad day, and my friend tried Fox for the first time. We both enjoyed the way they handled, and since they have been our respective mains. I still keep a Captain Falcon on stand by for when I feel like doing some obnoxious juggles and thrwoing around some knees of justice.

Sensai

Smash Master
Waaaaay before I got into competitive Smash, back when Smash 64 was around, I would play Fox because of his kick-my-*** attitude (a la his taunt). Then I switched to Melee when it came out and just kinda kept with Fox.

Then, I discovered competitive Smash in the form of the DBR combo videos (specifically, Shined Blind). I played Fox for a bit a longer, but then realized that my fingers weren't fast enough. So I dropped Fox and stumbled around for a little bit, eventually landing on Ganon.

He's slow and powerful, meaning I just have to wait it out and use the mindgames. He just fits my play style.

RedYoshi92

Smash Lord
my tourney character is fox because he's fast,can combo pretty easily,good shine combos,good mindgames,infinite firefox stall,can chaincrab,excellent recovery,one of the best characters in the game,and I like him.Thats why I picked fox

nice1

Smash Lord
i like to wavedash alot, and like a fast characters, and combos so i went with sheik and fox. i combo with sheik really good

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
yeah shiek has good combos and the chain is realy cool fox is fast so he can be deadly enough to take out an enemy in about 7 hits if he is lucky...
ps like my new pic and sig?

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
i picked fox mario ness link marth ice climbers because: fox is fast and can do combos realy fast and mario is always made "all-around" and good ness because he is unique and can do realy good combos link because he is probably the most all around guy and is always cool with his super ranged attacks link because he is good with lots of things like defence and power marth because he is fast and can do my favorite always working combo that i call the swordsman slash (thats a default name) and his trickery can match fox's and ness's ice climbers cuz the teamwork they have is they key to victory and the attacks can lead to the best combo ever the one i call smash throw chain combo (no chain) thats all.(FINALY!)

virtualgamecafe

Smash Journeyman
lots of stuff 2 read

i picked fox mario ness link marth ice climbers because: fox is fast and can do combos realy fast and mario is always made "all-around" and good ness because he is unique and can do realy good combos link because he is probably the most all around guy and is always cool with his super ranged attacks link because he is good with lots of things like defence and power marth because he is fast and can do my favorite always working combo that i call the swordsman slash (thats a default name) and his trickery can match fox's and ness's ice climbers cuz the teamwork they have is they key to victory and the attacks can lead to the best combo ever the one i call smash throw chain combo (no chain) thats all.(FINALY!)

QERB

Banned via Warnings
I played kirby only in sbb (cuz he was mad nice back then). Then of course in SSBB they completely screwed him up which i realized kinda quickly. So then i tried using some other characters (in sbbm) and realized that i blow with all of them, since i never really chose any other characters in even ssb. So i chose kirby again and now he's my best and my main. I actually have some backups now cuz kirby just cant do it all: Falco & GW. Falco only for marths, GW for fox's (maybe samus), kirby everything else.

Raistlin

Smash Lord
I used to main Samus because she was the only character I used in SSB64. Then one day at the end of the last school year (sometime in May or June 2006) I decided to randomly play Jigglypuff one time because I was getting sick of Samus. I found that Jigglypuff is rather easy to begin learning how to play, unlock much more technical characters like Fox, so I figured I'd start using her more. When I found out about the Wall of Pain and various rest combos, I was hooked, and I've been owning faces with Jigglypuff ever since. Plus, it's always great resting a n00b for the first time and seeing their reaction, not to mention Jigglypuff has THE cutest taunt ever. Well, except for Pichu, I guess.

Izombie

Smash Rookie
I saw a (at the time I felt) rediculously good Captain Falcon and I just started playing by learning all the moves he did and then some.

ximrekcuf

Smash Apprentice
I picked young link because none of my friends used him, and he was byfar the coolest character that no one used.

CWolf20

Smash Journeyman
I'm pretty generic, I main the space animals. Watching videos of PC Chris and Dope inspired me to try Falco after I had been a Fox main. I'm still in the process of developing my game to a higher level, so the reality is that I'll probably keep bouncing around from character to character just to get a grasp of every moveset and (dis)advantages that character has.

My third, after the space animals, is Kirby. I love Kirbycides. They piss people off so much. There's also something to be said for playing with the statistically worst character in the game.

0nion

Smash Rookie
When I first got the game, I rushed to Bowser. Just the idea of playing as Bowser was the reason I wanted the game. I kept using him until I got GW, who I thought was funny and started using him. Quit for a bit after unlocking everything. And by a bit I mean about a year.

Get my brother to play with me and I forgot which characters I'm good with. My brother was pretty good with Samus, and I was learning to ride a bike again. Arbitrarily, I picked Luigi. I fell in love.

Now, I only use funny characters, or characters that people are embarrassed about losing to (though I do most of the losing). Main is Luigi, second is Pikachu, third is DK. Nothing beats the look of horror on someone's face as you spam Pikachu's taunt after u-airing them off the ledge to helpless doom.

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I main Link on both ssb64 and melee. I love all the Zelda games and I like how he has so many useful moves and a variety of ways to attack or defend. Only thing I hated about him was his horrible B-up jump to make it back in ssb64. In melee they did a very good job with him. Bomb/Boomerang/Arrow stun to smash combos, along with SHFFL air attacks ftw! If played correctly you can take down any of those would be so called top/high tier chars in tournaments :p

rysaN

Smash Cadet
when i first started the game (i never got into SSB64), i used link a lot, mostly because as a noob, i saw him as one of the best characters because of his well-balanced attacks. then one time, i was playing with my friends as fox, and i was doing fairly well against them (i was still new at this time). so i started getting into fox and started getting better. then i started getting into watching videos, via youtube/google video, and watched how good players play. i honestly don't know or remember why it happened, but it dawned on me that jigglypuff is my player. i love the fact that she is so aerial based, and that her rest combos are extremely deadly.

jigglypuff's my main, with fox/link as my secondaries, as you can see in my sig.
i'm not gonna talk about my love for pikachu, because he's not my best, but my favorite, and you mentioned that you wanted to hear of my main, not my favorite.

there's my story

Tera253

Smash Ace
Tera was obsessed with Pokemon back in '99, chose Pikachu. by 2003, was still playing SSB64, got real good, went, fought, won kind of thing. Got SSBM in 2005, used my friend's gamecube and the two of us would duke it out. Tera got better, and here she is today, strong with Pika.
~Tera253~

Top Bottom