• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How did you pick your current main charater?

Coin you up

Smash Apprentice
it started as Falco then it was Mario now its Mario.

Falco was the first character I ever chose he was my favorite character. I chose him cause he was a Blue Falcon and since my Favorite color was blue and I loved Falcon's I chose Falco after 2 months of pracaticing I beat all my friends and continued to beat them I would never lose.

My smash career ended in 2002 then it started in 2005. After the 3 years of down time Falco didn't seem the way he use too so I chose Mario. Mario perfectly fits the way how I am in real life and we kind of look alike. I chose Mario cause he's my speed and he knows how to kick some a*s when he needs too like me.

PudgeSX

Smash Cadet
i remember the day a couple of years ago when me and my friend just started picking up smash and he said "hey did you know that falco can spike people with his down air?" i then remember (almost as if it was in slow motion) spiking him for the first time and my virgin mind was blown away lol. now that i come to think about it ive come a long way...

yeah falco can be gay at times (i hate falco dittos...gayzors) but i just like how his shine combos are so **** sexy and is such a threat to every single character

recently started picking up luigi as a secondary cause of his unique way of fighting (double aerials, wd, and can break up combos? nice...) and like people have said before its nice to use someone other than the higher tiers..

Lit

Smash Ace
I got my main from first starting out the game..... My main is falco even though he is the 2nd best characater in the game he is still one of the sickest characters in SSBM...................

JNS

Smash Cadet
After getting my *** handed to me by the hands on hard, using my smash 64 mains samus and pikachu, i decided to pick a random char to experiment with. I chose the IC and managed to beat the single player mode without losing a stock even beating the 2 hands. I've mained them ever since

Tera253

Smash Ace
i use fox and shiek, because they are not the gayest character in the game *cough* falco *cough* peach *cough*
actually, according to popular vote, Link, Marth and Shiek are the gayest characters, Shiek because some people think she's a man.

Pikachu was Tera's main from SSB64, and still is. C.Falcon however, has appeared as a 2nd on SSB64, when Tera made an unexpected million points on Very Hard single-player.

Zelda came as a 2nd in Melee over the last month or two for unknown reasons. Tera getting accustomed to her mindgaming skill may have had a part in it. Now, Tera has nothing against Shiek, and can see why she's so high up there (and why a lot of people use her) but Tera's never been too good with Shiek. her Zelda skills oust her Shiek skill by a lot. suppose it just takes practice *has a go on SSBM*

~Tera253~

HXY56

Smash Apprentice
I was playing Boozer because everyone made fun of him because he was slow, I mained as CF at the time, so i tried him out, then I saw gimpy and Arash's videos and i was like, OMG OTHER PEOPLE PLAY HIM TOO! then I joined this site and now I don't feel left out anymore. Now Boozer is my main, CF is my secondary and everyone else I use for fun.

alcheato

Smash Ace
Ah this takes me back to the good ole days when I first the got the game. I mained Ness in the original game but found that I didn't like his style in Melee. After having played some old school Metroid again and anticipating Metroid Prime, I decided to go with Samus just cause she looked freakin sweet. After a few days of owning the game, however, I unlocked the Doc and Roy and loved with their move sets ("Dude, he shoots ******* pills!") . All my friends were always telling me Samus was my best character but I simply couldn't stop playing my newfound favorite characters. After a few years I found Smashboards with the tier lists and advanced tech and whatnot, and I've picked up every character in the game and gotten at least decent with every character after seeing videos of people wrecking with characters I thought sucked. Still, I always ended up back Doc and Roy and so it shall remain.

LinkGadra

Smash Apprentice
I chose Ness for three reasons:

1. EarthBound was awesome!
2. Ness was my main in SSB64.
3. Most people I face have no idea what to do about Grasshopper Ness, especially fair.

Seishiro

Smash Apprentice
i used to play mario in SSB and melee, but switched to roy because everyone doubted him. although for a while i was getting beat, i still deciding to try to improve with roy, but didn't know what else i could do. until one day i saw masashi and neo vids ( especialy neo ) and i saw the potential of roy. soon as possible, i started studying more vids and practicing advanced techniques ( and that was only a year ago ). i also play marth.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
i started with Marth, at M3D's suggestion. I remember when i got comfortable with Marth, i asked M3D what to play next, and he said to try Shiek, and i started playing with her, but i found out her Down-B is a rather poor choice, and i was a newb marth spamming counters left and right. so sheik was out.

next i tried samus, with very little success. she was too floaty for me.

then i tried fox, and that's when i really started taking the game seriously. i spent the better part of a year playing almost exclusively with fox.

i finally decided to see what else was out there that i might enjoy. that's when i found Doc. i really found my rhythm with Doc. His smash moves were satisfying for me, and since i was still a noob, i still used the C-stick too much, so i was able to be comfortable with him. his wave dash is easy. But it was with Doc that i really learned how to SHFFL, and that is what made the whole game different for me. Suddenly, i didn't get ***** by EVERYONE ELSE who took the game seriously. I even took 2 matches out of 10 against M3D. (one time, i played him in a marth ditto, and the agreement was if i won, he had to give up his nickname to me. M3D stands for MMMD, which stands for marth master (in) maryland. and i won. and he refused to relinquish his title....noob.)

so i settled on Doc. Recently, i picked up Falco, and i do better against average competition with him now, but Doc is still my go-to when i'm playing good competition or people who play top-tier. i can still play fox and marth at tourneys, but i don't usually need to, although if a marth is giving my doc trouble, i will go to for or a marth ditto.

Doc rulezorz

Uck2

Smash Cadet
Umm started with Fox then I switched to Link because It felt like more of a challenge for me when fighting my friends plus I have played all of the Zelda games.Then somewhere along the line I couldnt let go of Link as a main.

20bturbo

Smash Rookie
i guess my main is ness. i used to use adult link and just switched to ness out of boredom

DyslexicHobo

Smash Cadet
I've been Fox ever since I started playing (which hasn't been long). Whenever I'd play the game at a friend's house, I'd pick Fox because I happened to be good with him (I used to love to spam his firefox attack, boy was I a n00b!). I eventually learned how to use him properly, and my friends whom I play with now hate Fox with a passion.

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
actually, according to popular vote, Link, Marth and Shiek are the gayest characters, Shiek because some people think she's a man.
~Tera253~
For the longest time, being unfamiliar with the FE series as I was, I had mistaken Marth for a girl... the name especially led me astray.

I think I had originally bought SSB64 because I knew some of the characters, mostly Pikachu, Mario, and Link. Most of the other Nintendo characters in there were totally new to me, including Kirby. I dont' know how it happened, but I absolutely fell in love with that pink ball of fluff, enough so that my earliest online names were klrkrby (Killer Kirby minus the vowels, and only one-l because of some troubles with one particular site.).

Naturally, I stepped up easily to Kirby when I picked up Melee (got it with our GC in summer '03), despite his new short-comings. I believe I had used him mostly to unlock other characters; frankly, I can't remember how I did things back then, because I didn't know anyone to play against... my little brother never wanted to play, as he'd never win, and there was no one else around near me to play with/against.

So as time went on, I ended up becoming able to "perform" with all the characaters - such a noob I was, I thought I could play them all, with my strongest being Kirby, still. (Now that I've been intro'd to this competetive world of SSB, albiet very late, I realize how nooby I am...) I would train against lv 9s to improve my skills... picked up a nasty habit of rolling from that I'm still trying to shake.

Somewhere along the line, probably because of Kirby's shortcomings, I began to take a larger interest in his floating cousin, Jigglypuff. After being so used to Kirby's multiple jumps, the other characters just couldn't suffice for my style of play. With Jigglypuff, in occasional friendly play with friends/cousins when the opportunity came up, I fared better than anyone else, although I still was better with Kirby.

There came a time where I attempted to get more involved in SSBM, it was probably around that time that I started transistioning to Jigglypuff and away from Kirby, but without anyone to really show me how it's done (I don't believe there were any videos at this point, or at least I didnt' know where to find them...) I couldn't really get into the training of it, and so while I knew about wavedashing and whatnot to some extent, I could not do it.

Then came that fateful day during AP World Lit class... for a Candide video project, apparently my friend Milam (Tar) had with several friends done a rendition of Candide in Melee; the most eye-catching thing was the rapid-fire spamming of moves while remainig stationary during Candide's (Marth) "training montauge". This provoked further inquiry, and I learned that it was done by KSSB, none other than 2nd best in Wisconsin, living right with me under my nose...

Once I met him and played him, my whole outlook on SSBM had changed dramatically. (By chance of fate we ended up having the same 5th hour class, right before lunch...) In fact, it's still changing. Without any techincal skill, Jigglypuff was the only character that I even stood a chance with against him, and even against my friend, Tar. (For the first few hours, it was deliciously entertaining, because Tar, as a Falco, had no idea how to combat my Jigglypuff...) I've been getting better ever since, but I still feel my skills are lacking... but the most important thing shown to me was that I had no hopes with Kirby as I currently was, and that Jigglypuff was my main way to go...

Tar and I had teamed recently on the 3rd at Beezo and found out we did better than we thought we would - it felt good; even though we came in 2nd to last in teams, we felt very good about ourselves, and met some players to make us really think. The most thinking that happened was during a friendly of myself vs. Tar; I picked Jiggly, as always, but for some reason he had picked IC... and proceeded to pwn me. By spamming smashes, I could not get near him. After repeated attempts and failures, I was tempted into trying the IC again, after seeing also some videos showing what they could really do... (Unbeknownst to me, that there was an IC user in that tournament; KSSB had to play him, even... wish I had known that, had known to look for stuff like that instead of focusing on only learning about what to improve for Jigglypuff.)

So now I've been practicing with the IC, and I must say... it looks promising. Whereas before I couldn't wavedash my way out of a paper bag, I'm now slowly putting the tech under my belt. And while there's a lot for me to do before I could possibly think of putting the IC over Jigglypuff, I think I might be up for such combination-memorization rather than speed-input. (I dont' know if it's just me, or my controller that's preventing me from getting better at it, but I'm horrible at accurately smashing the control-stick back and forth for stuff like the wall of pain or like maneuvers; I so wish I could do those short-hop double-bair attacks or chain-kicking into the death wall and still make it back...)

I've a long ways to go, still... techincally so far, IC is a second and Jiggy my main. (My *real* goal right now is to familiarize myself with the technical stuff of the game, including mindgames, so I could help to pioneer the edge of SSBB, along with my friends...)

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
Roy is probably what I consider to be my main. I chose Roy because I never got a chance to use a sword character in the original (I was the puffballs), so when it came down to maining someone after I unlocked everything, I suddenly wanted a sword user, the Links were too popular at the time so I wanted something different, and Marth as you read above, may seem kinda gay at first.
Currently, I've never regretted choosing Roy because I've become quite skillful with him in my times playing Smash.

Justin

Smash Apprentice
In SSB64 my first main was Link and I mained him for about a year and then decided to try out different characters. I tried Mario, Donkey Kong and Samus and neither of those kept me interested. And then I picked up Fox and mained him until Melee came out, which I continued to main him all the way up to now. And it will probably stay that way until Brawl comes out and then I am going to try almost all the characters to see who I can really get good with, but I have a feeling I will fall back on Fox again...or Falco.

Tyson651

Smash Lord
i never owned ssb64, and i would always be playing at my friends house, i looked very carefully and ness caught my attention since he looks like me in a way when i was little.

when i got ssbm (christmas 2005), i tried to use ness, but it was too hard, the speed difference made it nearly impossible for me to use upB, so i tried and searched online for a character that would catch my attention. apparently marth did, he who yields a long sword with swift and fast movements, seemed like the real deal, since i am a real fan of quick and crazy sword yielding skilled people in movies and games.

so since then, i used marth, and as of now i still use marth.

Syeekoh

Smash Cadet
Link...I just thought he was cool...I practiced with him to the point where he has every single good and bad ranking in the status screen.

I just personally think he's sweet.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
I started out with Bowser (I've never played Mario before, but I thought he looked badass), and got my "badass" handed to my brother every time because he started out as Shiek. You can imagine how fun those days were. Sorry, Gimpyfish, but I eventually came to the conclusion that Bowser and me did not make a good team.

Then I experimented with a bunch of different characters, and liked Fox the best. But then my brother, who had switched to Samus, found out every trick I had up my sleeve. I had to find a way out, so I switched to Falco. Then, after a while, I thought Falco was to slow and I switched back to Fox. My brother adjusted again, so I looked on IGN and saw CunningKitsune's Fox guide. The only things I really learned from that was that the upsmash and the uair were both incredibly cheap. And so I used it to my advantage. But then after about a month, my brother found me out again, so it was incredibly hard to get those upsmashes and uairs in.

Now, I'm using Falco again. I love spikes.

Kthxbi

Dyse

Smash Journeyman
I saw Coach play with Doc back when I sucked, so I gave him a try. The rest is history. Doc pwns. hands down.

darksatar

Smash Rookie
At first, when the game came out, i was the magnificient Link and Kirby. Then after i unlocked chars in ssbm...i discovered a kid named roy who looked so frickin kool with his sword. So i gave him a whirl and i enjoyed every moment of him. But i got bored of his moves and quickly discovered speed was in my favor...so i chose sheik. I played with her like there was no tomorrow learning every momve and combos that i cnould think of. Then i started experimenting with Marth and got quite good with both sheik and Marth. I quickly became the top player in my area. However, it was until one fateful day my cousin came over and said he saw some video of this kid named ken. I was like "wtf is he?" He was like idk, i think hes pro tho. He said he learned some move named the wavedash which seemed a bit skeptical at first and he showed me how to do it. Only he only did it once and i was amazed. I practiced it for weeks and started experimenting along with it. I was like...hmm if this works...can i do it straight up and down? So i started jumping and then fast falling down real quick but i was jumping to high and it didnt seem efficient enough. Thats when i tryed short hop and and fast fall. Then i started adding more to it with attacks but it wasnt fast enough. Thats when i learned what i was doing was called a SHFFL. Then i learned L-cancel and thats when my sheik and Marth became what i dreamed of O.o. I played at 5 local tourneys and went to a larger one up in a city. I beat the local ones with relative ease but the city one was where i met a kid that seemed pro to me. I lost to him but i will never forget that moment. ALWAYS REMEMBER YOUR SUPER SMASH HISTORY....its gfg O.o

pirate-404

Smash Cadet
I started with Marth as my main. That was mostly because one of the first times I was exposed to advanced techniques was videos of Ken and the Kizzu no Kaze combo videos. After I started realizing I was more about tech than I am about mindgames (bad, bad!), I decided to switch over to Fox as it suited me more.

XZalla

Smash Journeyman
Ganon is the ****! He's slow, but not that slow, and he's strong. Plus dude has a cape. ;>

Starting maining him when I kept losing to my friend's Shiek.. ;/

Zone

Smash Champion
I very first mained Samus, Because I'm weird and always main a chick character. Well after a while. I saw Ken's Marth in some old school videos, I was like wow Marth has some crazy potential. I started playing him. Then I saw the punch crew from back in the day kill with shine. So I ended up playing like with 5 characters, only 3 of them for trying to win. Marth Fox Samus Captain falcon and Link. Well after a while I dropped link and captain falcon. I fail with captain falcon and Link is just for fun. I stopped playing samus (Don't know why). Then I tried some falco. I'm only mediocre.

Well up til now. Since I picked such a diverse selection of characters I'm only good with certain "match ups"

Of course I'm good with Marth vs Fast fallers. Ok against Ganon and Link.

Fox better match up for = Falco, Samus, Ganon, Captain Falcon.

When I fight peach players, I'm only good against them with "Zelda" yes Zelda... I was told marth is good match up but i always get reemed. Not so much with Zelda. (Foot power). And Samus (Ranged game + equally good recovery yes please)

So I don't have 1 Main. I have Main matchups.

Does this make sense?

My match-ups i talk about aren't all necessarily Counter picks. like My marth fails -> Peach. It's just I know my style works better against certain characters.

Kalmetam

Smash Journeyman
First I mained Sheik because she is like one of the best characters. She has super speed and very fast attacks so your opponent can't even make a move. It was pretty easy and fun because I could beat anyone that I knew and all CPUs on level 9 and everyone I played. It was so cool. But then I found out that a million people played in tournaments with Falco and I checked out a video and Youtube and I was encouraged. So I tried Falco and I realized I was better than I ever was and I use him ever since.

Front Smash King

Smash Rookie
I ended up likeing Fox a lil bit bit he was too fast, so Falco was placed in my hands, as for Marth, he is fast and He used swords so he was like a gawd send.

FSK out==============>

St. Viers

Smash Champion
my SSB life began with Kirby in SSB. I loved his recovery and copy-ness.

Then I my friend got SSBM and a gamecube (in that order, funnily), and of course I picked kirby. But then I sucked with kirby and became the typical n00b Link player. I sucked for the next 3 years, until my friend convinced me to try WDing. He recommended Luigi to practice with, but I disliked the length ant the time, so I picked Doc: his WD felt right to me, and I loved the pills better than Mario's fireball.

Now that I have (finally) mastered the technical aspects of Doc, I've picked up Fox, just because I find using him to warm up speeds my game up. And W-Shining is cool. I've only been to one tournie, but I used Doc then, and I'll continue using him (unless I run into Marth)

So Doc is my main.

p.e.

Smash Rookie
I picked up Samus after I finished with the 1 player modes and unlocked everything. I was good with Samus even before I knew how to do any techniques like wavedashing.
I'm also better with Samus on teams it would seem.

p.e.

Smash Rookie
(one time, i played him in a marth ditto, and the agreement was if i won, he had to give up his nickname to me. M3D stands for MMMD, which stands for marth master (in) maryland. and i won. and he refused to relinquish his title....noob.)
That's cool. Maryland pretty much rocks Smash.

Sharingan

Smash Rookie
I used to main Marth but I knocked him down to my secondary and now Fox is my main. The main reason I did this is about 3 of my other friends main Marth and I think its kinda boring to always see the same character fighting and I always liked the starfox games and just playing as Fox in general as a secondary when Marth was my main.

A_mArIo

Smash Cadet
Well...ive always favorited mario in all games so I thought about using him as a main when this game came out...but then I remembered the classic ssb days when I would only use purin/jiggs. That and the fact that my first pkmn to see/use was jiggs(my friends pkmn red game,he let me play it)

Top Bottom