• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I beat G&W?

Mind Man

Smash Rookie
On online, I usually pick Luigi, Ness, Lucas, Olimar, Bowser and Dedede. A good G&W always gives me trouble. Oh, and I also pick G&W.

JST

Smash Apprentice
G&W is really REALLY light. It's fantastically easy to kill him. The problem is actually getting around his wall of monstrous priority and lingering hitboxes.

Play it cautious. Don't let him control the momentum of the fight. Keep your spacing tight and wait for G&W to make mistakes, and slip in hits when he does - he'll die surprisingly early. Most of all, don't get grabbed when your at high percentages. G&W rack up damage and can kill you so easily it's not even funny. Also, don't, DON'T challenge the turtle. Watch out for his UpB, his Nair, DSmash, watch out for the linger Fsmash and the occasional surprise USmash...

That's all I can think of.

JST

Smash Apprentice
The only thing you can really do is try to outplay the G&W. Always keep in mind that he's really light.

Anyway, whenever I play, Marth, Dedede, and Snake give me a hard time. Marth outranges G&W in every situation, but he still has to keep his spacing really tight. Good Dededes are hard for everyone, but Dedede can clash with G&W easily because of his range (And a really good techchasing game with his D-throw). Snake is even harder because his Ftilt > Everything G&W can do. If Snake gets Bair'd, he can just pull out a grenade. Snake can also kill G&W stupidly early.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Be good at the game! jk.

From exp. I'm gonna say snake or donkey kong. Both fairly hard for meh to face.

MPH Deku

Smash Journeyman
Silly Mind Man. We all know that Mr. Game and Watch cannot be defeated.

Ever.

But, seriously, I advize you to have less QQ and more PEWPEW. G&W has a strong offensive, but even a kitten could KO him at 140% and up.

napZzz

Smash Hero
Its EVEN easier than that to get killed. Like I said vs. Donkey kong I find myself dying before 80% with smashs, super punch, or the cargo throw stage spike if I fail at teching against the stage T_T

Royale

Smash Journeyman
how can you counter G&W's Dair? that always gives me trouble on any character due to how it can move either direction

JST

Smash Apprentice
Dair is simple if the G&W gets predictable (G&W LOVES to Dair you while they're above you, whether you're grounded or not). If you're on the ground, just shield the Dair (It has a hitbox upon landing tho so watch out your timing). Once G&W lands shield-grab, pivot-grab, or do some other really quick punisher, as G&W can pull out another attack almost instantly. However, note that this method isn't fool-proof as the Dair hits through shields sometimes (I dunno how. Whenever I face G&W the dair goes completely through my shield sometimes. Also, just an interesting thing to note but sometimes I can shield through the entire duration of Bair, even with the landing hitbox. Brawl is weird like that). Alternatively, you could just run away from it or roll away from it (keyword: AWAY).

However, if the G&W is smart he will use the move in a situation where he knows you will be caught with your pants off and you won't be able to punish him. While you're in the air, while you're on a platform, keystomping, even off the edge if he can still make it back with UpB. There's not some definite counter in this situation, because in this case, the G&W gets you into this situation and/or is outplaying you and you need to try and outplay the G&W. While you're in the air, your best bet is to DI away or air dodge. Also, something I find that really works like a charm is fastfalling into a roll or spotdodge (Assuming your character of choice as a quick fast-fall - someone like Luigi will fail in this situation). You gotta have killer reaction time for this tho, and the G&W has to at least be a fair distance away. Don't try and attack through the Dair unless you have ungodly timing, it has totally BS priority.

Once thing to note about the Dair is that G&W telegraphs it a lot (Although its speed is still killer). If G&W is right on top of you and he dairs (Honestly he should be using nair or something but it'll happen) you can try to smack him out of it with a quick, high-priority aerial.

However, if G&W is just out of your attacking range, but still too close for comfort and he dairs, the only thing you can really do is air dodge and jump away, fastfall and roll the hell out of there, or DI away (If you're Wario that is lol).

Another trick to watch out for is slowfalled Dairs. If you have a twitch, uncontrollable reaction and the G&W knows this, the slowfalled Dair can screw you over if he gets you.

BTW, if you're G&W as well use uair. It's a great opportunity to refresh your moves and possibly trap the other guy into a Usmash or UpB.

That's the only advice I can think of from my matches against G&W (BTW I use Marth or Donkey Kong against G&W). :/

Royale

Smash Journeyman
thats why i asked, i play against guy who mains him quite abit. hes abit of a projectile spammer too

thanks for the advice, appericate it. I guess all i can do is just dodge then

actually i have used Uair on him before as a G&W. It caught him off as such a surprise that it rendered his Dair useless...Literally i juggled him in the air with it and he practically gave up on trying to use the attack. Allthough now he knows he cant do that attack on me with G&W anymore =P

TKD

Smash Lord
thats why i asked, i play against guy who mains him quite abit. hes abit of a projectile spammer too

thanks for the advice, appericate it. I guess all i can do is just dodge then

actually i have used Uair on him before as a G&W. It caught him off as such a surprise that it rendered his Dair useless...Literally i juggled him in the air with it and he practically gave up on trying to use the attack. Allthough now he knows he cant do that attack on me with G&W anymore =P
You play MK? If you see it coming, walk away and downsmash/tornado or turn around and forward air/downtilt/ftilt. So just walk away and do something. If he landed on a platform go upair/forward air him.

If he did it from low altitude, block and roll away. You can shieldgrab too, after the 2nd hit, if he lands in front of you.

MK's upB has more horizontal range than G&W's downair, so you can hit him from the side.

On dittos (gaw vs gaw)? Run to one side and back air at him from the side. It works at whatever altitude he's in.

The key isn't a problem. It's not very spammable because it's not hard to punish.

ToonTetra7

Smash Cadet
If you're a good Snake user, use him. Alot of people know good tricks with G&W (I can't explain :p ) and you're better off using a character with good range, because afaik, and with alot of people I brawl, G&W has terrible reach.

Not as worse as Kirby's reach, though... :laugh:
Well, good luck with your online friends :bee:

Top Bottom