• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I catch up?

Bill_the_Duck

Smash Cadet
Ahh... thats wierd O.o
It's to like... psyche people out? Screw with their minds? I know thats what it would do to me... So since the video is saying that Mango's dash dance is "too good" its okay if mine's not like that, right? XD

Varist

Smash Lord
if you're not falcon, marth or fox, your dash dance won't have very frequent applications. don't worry about dash dancing until you've mastered elementary spacing.

Massive

Smash Champion
if you're not falcon, marth or fox, your dash dance won't have very frequent applications. don't worry about dash dancing until you've mastered elementary spacing.
I'm going to disagree, you can use dashdancing to your advantage with any character.

Link and Falco get many advantages from it, moreso link than falco. It's pretty much the only way I can think of that link gets grabs... lol.
Bill_the_Duck said:
What do you mean by spacing? keeping the range correct for my moves?
When we say spacing, we mean being aware of the length your moves can travel as well as being aware of the length of your enemy's moves. You want to be able to tell intrinsically how much of a reach they have at any given time and exploit it. If you are playing a character with a move that will outreach theirs, you can use it to keep them at a safe distance and prevent them from retaliating.

When someone has "good spacing" it usually means they stay at the very border of the opponent's attack range and exploit it when they barely miss an attack. Dashdancing lets you move in and out of their attack range repeatedly, making it difficult for even very skilled players to tell if their hits are going to connect; additionally confusing them as to if they are within your attack range. If they throw out a move and you're dashing away, you can just dash back in and punish. That's what makes dashdancing amazing.

makoforce

Smash Ace
This. Maining a low tier is what real men do. I can't tell you how often people tell me to drop pichu... its the most annoying thing ever. People just don't understand that I generally care about the character and if I want to win **** I wanna do it with Pichu, not any other character :p

/mini-rage
you cant really say maining a low tier is what real men do. What if we just so happen to "generally care" about fox w/o looking at the tier list.

Zodiac

Smash Master
I see... can Link be a valid secondary?

I've experimented with Marth before, I kind of like him but really my favorite part about Link is the ranged game, not the sword.
Absolutely, but he is a character that requires more match up knowledge than most.

but to answer your original post, just start thinking about l-canceling after every aerial, you might get your *** kicked for the first couple of days you do it but eventually it will become muscle memory and you can incorporate it into your gameplay seamlessly.

Also, catching up is just a matter of applying yourself, if you really enjoy playing the game you will catch up.

Binx

Smash Master
Watch videos of the best players you can, go to a tournament, play hard, focus on making good movement decisions. Learn all of your tech skill as early as possible so it doesn't limit your mindgames.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Absolutely, but he is a character that requires more match up knowledge than most.

but to answer your original post, just start thinking about l-canceling after every aerial, you might get your *** kicked for the first couple of days you do it but eventually it will become muscle memory and you can incorporate it into your gameplay seamlessly.

Also, catching up is just a matter of applying yourself, if you really enjoy playing the game you will catch up.
Match-up knowledge? No way, every single player has different match-up knowledge based on their region. To understand a character himself, you have to understand why certain moves sucks or is amazing depending on the situation. Link just has to work even harder for wins because he can get shutdown more easily than a character that's higher tier. So every moves need to count even more, you can't miss especially with his weight, he's kinda easy to combo.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
lol people take little things in my posts way to seriously.

point was this: Low tiers are pree cool guys, don't be discouraged from maining a low tier if you really like them simply because they aren't the best character.

Of course you should main the character you like most, it would be stupid to main a character you don't like.

I don't main pichu because he's a low tier, I main him because he's my favorite character in the game and I have the most fun playing as him/feel most comfortable with him.

KingofCereal

Smash Journeyman
All of the points above are valid, but don't get to the heart of the question. How do I catch up? At this point in the game is it worth it or possible to catch up to the rest of smashdom?

Top Bottom