• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I convince my friends to play Melee with me?

huntercrunch

Smash Rookie
Okay so I've been playing that one other game since it came out. But around November I decided to pop in Melee just for the nostalgia, and I really like it more than Brawl. But whenever one of my friends goes "hey guys lets play smash bros" I try to ask them if we can play Melee instead, but one of them goes "naw lets play Brawl" or "i like the characters in brawl more". It just makes me not want to play anymore... I just can't seem to enjoy playing Brawl anymore. So can you guys give some advice :confused:

demodemo

Smash Ace
give them another month. i reckon you guys get bored of brawl after like 3 hours or something right? well that never happens to me and my friends with melee. if you guys don't care about the current tournament scene much and just want to have fun, melee will come eventually.

Vts

Smash Champion
don't 4 stock them, try to make a deal of you'll play brawl for so long if they play melee with you.

you can do what i do, put melee in play it until friend gets pissed play another game for him to cool of then back to melee.

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Slap your friend and tell him to get off the drugs.
ask them over and over
like others before me show them the videos of fantastic melee (ss DSW Etc)
or do what i do to make people play melee (or something else) Pick falco and camp them all day in brawl or pick meta knight, make sure your friend goes out first every time. make him absolutely disgusted at the game. Then put in melee (if they are your friends they should understand for one second and pillar them to death with falco, ken combo them with marth, or combo any other way. they will see that melee is more fun to get ***** in then brawl. Lol i only have three friends in my circle that like brawl but every time they try to bring it out we flame them till they put the disks away.
brawl is like having to take a ****: do it on you own time kid. lol

Melee!

Overload

Smash Lord
Refuse to play Brawl. They might miss playing smash with you and try Melee. This is sort of how it worked with me.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
pick metaknight and be gay
show them some awesome videos
sandbag
wombo combo
if all else fails, you can play Brawl + and it might be a bit more fun.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
I got my friends to stop playing brawl with me by playing with the gayest most campy tactics possible and 4 stocking them. After that they didn't even want to play brawl. A couple went back to melee, but most just stopped playing brawl altogether. I pretty much killed any interest in brawl at my school with my boring/effective tactics. If they ask to stop, I say that I need to play like this to win, and not playing to win goes against everything I stand for.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
The thing is, most casual gamers won't be able to tell the difference between Melee and Brawl if they haven't played one of them for an extended amount of time. If you made them play Brawl and Melee back to back, the difference becomes extremely obvious, and those who like more intense games will undoubtedly pick Melee over Brawl.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
i my dam mind with something that slow my mind works to fast for brawl , i go so fast only melee could say it can go that fast
with brawl you can't really go any faster, with melee you can go faster and faster till the cubecube causes a house fire and so far my cube just sweats

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
if they're homophobic then I am extremely sorry that you cannot find better friends.

The Irish Mafia

Banned via Administration
All my friends took brawl over melee any day. They'd give me **** for liking melee over brawl, say they were "The exact same game, but Brawl's just better". When I provided counterevidence and asked for any reasons, they'd just go like "No, James. Just. . . No."

Then I left them for one night with no wii, 2 controllers, a gamecube, and a copy of melee. They now see melee as the better game. I'm proud of myself.

falcofox121SHL

Smash Cadet
tell them

melee is tons!!!!!!! faster then brawl

their is alot more tech in melee too
just make them play at least once, and if theyre not hooked still, kill them X/

Smo

Smash Journeyman
this isn't for bashing brawl. this is practical advice for getting people to play melee.

yeah, the videos are cool
i think for me i just had to remind my friends what a combo feels like :p

demodemo

Smash Ace
naw, we don't hate brawl (at least most of us) we just like melee better.

oh and btw for "arguing" to take place in this thread we sort of need, you know, an argument, hahaha.

shadowbind

Smash Rookie
Anyone knows a city named laredo in texas? cause **** there are like no population of melee players. it would just be my brother,2 friends of mine, and me ofcourse. Everyone just has to talk about fps games and rockband/gh. I'm hoping to see ppl enter the upcoming tournament of ssbm. Every1 just cares for the FREAKEN GRAPHICS not the gameplay wtf?!

Masmasher@

Smash Lord
Cleveland, Ohio! my homeplace but for now living i
Anyone knows a city named laredo in texas? cause **** there are like no population of melee players. it would just be my brother,2 friends of mine, and me ofcourse. Everyone just has to talk about fps games and rockband/gh. I'm hoping to see ppl enter the upcoming tournament of ssbm. Every1 just cares for the FREAKEN GRAPHICS not the gameplay wtf?!
LOL I feel you pain.
All my smash pals live back home in Ohio. Since I started going to college here in Ft Worth its rough finding anyone at all who plays smash.
The few people that do play play brawl lol.

♡ⓛⓞⓥⓔ♡

Anti-Illuminati
This is the biggest issue with melee, trying to find good people to play against since it's a very difficult game and majority of the people don't have patience/intrest to learn ATs.

D

Deleted member

Request that if they play a few matches of melee you can play brawl afterward. It's not that hard to switch back and forth...

Smash Journeyman
Chaingrab them with Marth and Dedede if you can infinite them, camp the whole match, plank like crazy when you get the lead, use all gayest strategies at your disposal. I quickly converted my friends back to Melee this way, whenever any of them makes the suggestion of playing Brawl I'll say I'll pick metaknight and they'll go "Oh God no". LOL

rehab

Smash Journeyman
Talk it out with them. Show them what they might be able to do if they put effort into playing the game. Play Falcon. Definitely be nice about it.

aka stuff the thread already said lol

Top Bottom