• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I do a Barrel Roll? ~ Fox Q&A (Check the OP)

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Ok, I've got some questions.

1) What is the proper way to cancel Fox's jab into a grab/other attack? I know it says crouch cancel, but should the crouch be buffered or do you wait until the animation is over. I can't get it consistent.

2) Is there a comprehensive stage guide for Fox out there? I searched and couldn't find one.

If I think of anymore I will post them.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
1) What is the proper way to cancel Fox's jab into a grab/other attack? I know it says crouch cancel, but should the crouch be buffered or do you wait until the animation is over. I can't get it consistent.
Depends. The buffer time for it is kind of small, but your crouch should come out almost instantly. That is, as soon as jab connects, CC. Practice it.

2) Is there a comprehensive stage guide for Fox out there? I searched and couldn't find one.
No, and M@v's hasn't been updated in ages. Just don't play on Lylat Cruise.

MegaMan087

Smash Apprentice
Depends. The buffer time for it is kind of small, but your crouch should come out almost instantly. That is, as soon as jab connects, CC. Practice it.
Thanks! I'll get on this.

No, and M@v's hasn't been updated in ages. Just don't play on Lylat Cruise.
So I guess it wouldn't hurt to make one. I hope no one minds me trying.

Flynch

Smash Cadet
What is a flame dash!? I only found 1 terrible video of it on youtube.. Can someone give me a link or explain it in detail?

Sorgens

Smash Cadet
What is a flame dash!? I only found 1 terrible video of it on youtube.. Can someone give me a link or explain it in detail?
I really don't know what flame dash is either. However, I hear that FLAMEDASH might be better.

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
Ok, I've got some questions.

You don't have to crouch, you can just wait a second or so and shield grab, it does the same thing. Its just as effective and you don't have to worry about accidently down tilting.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
which stages should i ban playing against a fox and which stages should i choose against a fox?
As a neutral you should want to pick Yoshi's Island or Lylat Cruise. With counterpicks you could probably choose between Frigate, Delfino, Luigi's Mansion (depends who you are), or Jungle Japes.

And I mean don't ban those.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
As a neutral you should want to pick Yoshi's Island or Lylat Cruise.
He means "ban" by "choose."

With counterpicks you could probably choose between Frigate, Delfino, Luigi's Mansion (depends who you are), or Jungle Japes.
Delfino is always good, Frigate depends on matchups, Mansion is heavily dependent on matchups, Japes is also very very dependent on matchup.

Tim-Tim

Smash Cadet
have you guys tried the dair > utilt > dthrow >fair?

(i'm just putting it out there...being a noob, but yeah)
i've seen it work on mario, wolf, link, captain falcon, and ZZS.

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
Two Questions

1) Does Fox's shine have any invincibility frames by any chance? Cos I tested it out and it seemed like it. Or is it because any projectile in reflected and any contact causes damage? Or is his down-B known to have invincibility frames?

2) My Fox is alright and I always utilize his SUPREME agility so I always run rings around my opponent and win. However I sometimes make mistakes which leads to harsh punishment so I can lose a stock so easily. My question here is why can Foxes get punished so easily and effectively regardless of how agile he is and how can I prevent getting punished after an attack or approach?

3) Can Fox's shine protect him from bombs and bob-ombs?

Thanks

Zhamy

Smash Champion
1) Does Fox's shine have any invincibility frames by any chance? Cos I tested it out and it seemed like it. Or is it because any projectile in reflected and any contact causes damage? Or is his down-B known to have invincibility frames?
Shine has invincibility frames. No one knows how to abuse them yet.

2) My Fox is alright and I always utilize his SUPREME agility so I always run rings around my opponent and win. However I sometimes make mistakes which leads to harsh punishment so I can lose a stock so easily. My question here is why can Foxes get punished so easily and effectively regardless of how agile he is and how can I prevent getting punished after an attack or approach?
Because you're probably using unsafe and/or predictable approaches and getting womped for it.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
On-topic- How can we exploit Fox's shine invincibility frames? If Marth perform his FS then would the shine protect Fox?
1) Be a robot
2) Why does Marth's FS matter?

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
I do believe it's been tested that super armor can negate Marth's FS.

But why is this being asked?

SnowballBob33

Smash Ace
it does have invincibility frames, but how would it be of any use on the ground. if u have the timing to use a shine to block a move, then u might as well just powershield it and have less lag.
question: can u shine to momentum cancel in any direction?

hdrevolution123

Smash Ace
it does have invincibility frames, but how would it be of any use on the ground. if u have the timing to use a shine to block a move, then u might as well just powershield it and have less lag.
What directions are you referring to? Whatever you are implying, it is possible to shine dash cancel therefore you can cancel momentum in any direction on the ground. It doesn't work as effectively in the air unless you haven't just depleted hitstun.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Not very well, just make sure you U-air first.

Zhamy

Smash Champion
There is, but at higher percents.
No. Shine knockback is not dependent on percents. But you'll usually need to shine someone twice (offstage) before they'll die, assuming their recovery is semi-decent.

KheldarVII

Smash Ace
NNID
redKheld
Shine barely gets a knockback increase but at higher percentages it'll knock them down on the ground. I'm not crazy enough to do it on Sudden Death so I've never looked into how far it goes at that high.

Top Bottom