• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I get over my mental block

Volpe

Smash Rookie
Growing up and learning the little I know about this game I did only solo learning, I would be better than the people I played with merely because I put in more time, lately though I've been having issues when playing against people who are blatantly better, I get flustered very quickly, and it makes it hard to even learn from the game, something like getting edge guarded by puff, or laser spaced by flaco will tilt me to the point I really don't even want to play. I know the techs are good and are playing to the respective characters strengths, but for some reason I just can't help but get flustered if I let myself fall into these techs. I'm curious on what I can do to stay calm, and still play strong after something like that. I know the obvious answer is don't get hit, however, I am no where near perfect yet.

AirFair

Marth tho
The best thing you can do for yourself is remove emotion from your play. In order to focus and evaluate your performance, you shouldn't ever lose to yourself. Just stay calm and never give up, and always play to improve and learn from all of your encounters.

Next to that, keep playing better players if you can, and if you really want to improve, money match them, or just practice tournament sets. It will help with nerves over time.

Volpe

Smash Rookie
I feel like not caring is my hardest thing to do. Thanks for the advice though, I just have to not care and realize that how people view me, and think of me won't drastically change over one game....unless it's a 5-0 heh

mdmfromdaridge

Smash Journeyman
The first step in not getting mad is taking responsibility for your losses. This is your new mantra.

"I'm having trouble countering this. I know it can be countered so it must be my fault. How do I improve my strategy?"

Once you do that, you aren't projecting frustration at the game, and instead start thinking like someone ready to improve.

It will take time to learn these counters, but if you keep in mind there's always something to improve, you should always be getting better.

The better the opponent you play against, the better you'll improve. You'll improve faster than they will. Just keep going. Every loss against a good player is a good thing

Top Bottom