• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I pick a main?

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
I play Peach because when the demo of Melee came out...I liked Peach, xD. When the game came out...I liked Peach. Then I got to Roy...and I liked Roy. I tried dropping Peach once I learned about AT's and what not. Eventually I went right back to her. I just <3 Peach like no other.

Picking up a secondary was annoying. My tastes kept changing. I'm learning a secondary now that I thought I'd NEVER learn. However...this secondary is way too fun.

P.S. I like Sheik...I just suck with her, xD.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
sheik is the opposite of sexy.

The only thing sexy about sheik is that she's androgynous.

keeper

Smash Champion
keeper said:
Gay: Sheik, Falco, Captain Falcon, Ganondorf, Donkey Kong
********: Jigglypuff, Fox, Ice Climbers
Dumb: Peach, Marth, Samus, Luigi, Doc, Mario

Low Tier and below is just "Stupid Trash."
I personally spread it across all three.

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Why is Peach dumb? I'd love an explanation of that. =p Also. Marth is gay...we all know this. friggin' Marth makes no sense half the time -_-.

P.S. Mario is practically low tier, now, xD.

I had to fix that and add one word =p.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
How the **** is cf gay??

When do you ever see a Falcon play gay?

I would put him in ******** because everyone who plays him is ******** for playing him because he sucks and loses to everyone.

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
Cactuar has brung the gay out of every character. He doesn't count. I've played his sheik before with Falcon.....you know what happend
;_;

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
You name seachin muthafukka.

Cactuar

HA! Now you came to this thread for no reason! I just wasted 30 seconds of your life! MAHAH!

<3 Cactuar

keeper

Smash Champion
Why is Peach dumb? I'd love an explanation of that. =p Also. Marth is gay...we all know this. friggin' Marth makes no sense half the time -_-.

P.S. Mario is practically low tier, now, xD.

I had to fix that and add one word =p.
How the **** is cf gay??

When do you ever see a Falcon play gay?

I would put him in ******** because everyone who plays him is ******** for playing him because he sucks and loses to everyone.
I hope Siglemic doesn't mind me quoting the conversation this stemmed from, lol.
Siglemic: captain falcon?????????
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: yeah he's gay
Siglemic: how so
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: how is he dumb or ******** instead
Siglemic: is ******** worse than dumb
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: yes
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Gay is just like
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: they do ****
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: that you don't want to work and isn't that hard
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: but is like
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: guaranteed **** all the time.
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Falcon: dthrow->you die
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Fox isn't gay because he's just ********
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Samus is dumb too.
Siglemic: your logic is irrefutable
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Ice Climbers are ********.
Siglemic: so i will either be dumb, ********, or gay if i want to be viable competitively
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Nana is literally ********. Their combos and **** are just ********. ZtD from one grab, awesome.
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Well, anything below low tier and below is just "Stupid Trash.
Siglemic: so in order for me not to be ******** gay or dumb, i have to use doc, ganon luigi dk or mario lol
Siglemic: this has been educational
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Ganon is Gay
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Doc and Mario are dumb
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Luigi is dumb.
Siglemic: dk is dumb, ah ma gad juggle combos
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: DK is ugly as **** and makes me want to just... no.
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: that would make DK Gay.
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: so basically you're ****ed. =\
Siglemic: i'm sticking w/ peach
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: I personally spread it across all three.
Text: keeper; ಠ_ಠ: Sheik, Samus, and Fox.
Siglemic: lol
That's my reasoning, it's not supposed to be taken that seriously.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Cut a line in your forehead so it's bleeding and wildly slam your face into the wall.

When the bloody letters form on the wall, they will spell the name of who you are destined to main.

Also, feel free to retry if you feel the need to. I got Kirby my first time. Like hell I was sticking to that. So after 12 stitches, a lot of scrubbing, and a few concussions, I main Sheik.

^.^

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
I had some of the dumbest reasons ever for maining ICs, but I don't care since I ended up really liking them.

edit: In retrospect, this post serves absolutely no purpose. Oh well.

Stratford

Smash Champion
Go to the character select screen, drag the hand to the empty space below Falco and left of Pichu, and press A.

john!

Smash Hero
Lol nice thread.

To choose a main you have to decide what you want out of your smashing. Lots of people play Falcon just cuz he's a blast, even though they get ***** by some characters. I played Falco before '06 because he was my favorite character, but once I realized I really wanted to play to win, I switched characters. Now I play him in friendlies only just for fun. Lots of people have low tier characters that they can't viably main, but make a great pocket character as a surprise or for fun.

I would suggest starting with Sheik, Marth, and Jigglypuff, who are imo the easiest characters to use. Just use those three to develop your skills, and then keep exploring more characters until you find one that accentuates your strengths.

Also, as you get better, don't be afraid to switch mains. At various points I have considered maining every character in the top/high tiers, except for Fox lol. I eventually settled on Peach but that could change.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
i actually picked the character i liked getting beat by the most. whenever one of my friends played ganon, it was actually fun to see a big slow powerful falconesque essense fair me around.

then ganon ended up being the most fun to play for me too. one fair and you're hooked.

halcyon.days

Smash Journeyman
Serious post.

After more than a year I've decided to main captain falcon, even though my Marth and Fox are far better. Falcon is just so much more fun to play and I don't have the time to invest in getting better because of time restraints, so I just play to have fun.

Granted, if you're having a hard time choosing a main, there's no reason you can't not have a main. Get good with a few characters and then, when you need to, switch between them.

mallu000

Smash Cadet
I've been playing Doc since I unlocked him. Over the last year I've tried Jiggly, IC, Sheik, Marth, DK, Spacies and CF but they all feel like they're not meant for me. Doc and Mario are the only ones that I enjoy playing. I think I did better with Sheik but she's just too boring for me. Captain Falcon is freaking hilarious but I'm not good with him.

I don't know how it goes for everyone else but I knew right from the start without knowing any techniques or advanced gameplay that I was gonna main Doc.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I played ice climbers at frist because they were cool and after playing a few times as kirby he seemed to suck wtf hammer. then I discovered dash attack upair upair for massive damage and then I found out about smashes and I found their amazingly sexy down-smash of broken goodness.

Inaphyt

Smash Apprentice
This is how you pick your main, after you've gotten pretty good at l cancelling, wavedashing, shield grabbing etc. basically you are good to an extent with any character pick a character choose a random level 9 on a stage with platforms, and try not to abuse the programming lol... what i mean by that is, when you spawn and have invincibility frames don't attack the computer or when the computer drops through a platform this is usually a free hit.

Then if you have problems getting past anything the computer has to offer as in you aren't 5stocking them, choose a different character lol.

I main falco probably because i saw what bombsoldier was doing and thought it was awesome.

But recently i've started to own with game and watch, because i own with him i stick to him despite him being waaay lower on the tier list.

So basically screw the tier list, if you find it easy to do damage and kill, stick to the character it only get's better, some characters i struggle against level 9's just from the characters advantages over my own, kirby is a good example of this. But if you own with kirby ... somehow then stick to him.

D

Deleted member

how to pick a character in melee:

do you want to win? if yes, pick fox falco sheik marth jigglypuff peach captainfalcon. if no, pick someone else. literally anyone at random.

if yes, just pick the high/top tier right for you based on these easy descriptions-

Fox:
- I like to play by myself 5 hours a day.
- I like it when other people can play my character well. Like really anyone.
- Hitting people up a lot is funny.

Falco:
- Thinking in a video game is just too hard.
- I smoke dope at least 3 times a week.
- I really, really hate Yoshi.

Marth:
- I like to whine about my character being bad whether it's true or not.
- Checkmate situations are humorous to me.
- I like running in circles a lot.

Sheik:
- Repetition is not a problem.
- I like to shield. All the freaking time.
- I'm okay having no friends in this game.

Captain Falcon:
- I like having a crowd cheer me on when I perform basic/standard combos.
- I like to worship players that quit playing in 2005.
- It's okay to lose on weird stages and complain about them after the tournament.

Jigglypuff:
- Playing with skill just takes too much time.
- The more I can irritate my opponent, the better.
- I practice best by not practicing.

Peach:
- Everyone thinks I'm gay. Including myself.
- I tend to assign myself mental barriers to improvement.
- I like characters that make stupid noises constantly.

Top Bottom