• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I stop being up-close?

Tornadith

Smash Journeyman
*Sends Sundance _______________ on __________ Day,
I've played Super Smash Bros. for a while, and I've always played it a lot for fun. But recently I have made an account on Smashboards and I am now pretty emerged in it. I came here to the pikachu boards, and learned quite a few things about Pikachu. I want to step away from the casual gamer type and learn techniques and skills that it takes to be a good Pikachu player.

One problem: When I look at videos with Anther, or any other Pikachu player, they always kind of camp and use thunder jolt a lot for approach game and to keep spacing.

I don't do that.

My pikachu game is very up-close and "in-your-face" fighting, where I usually just dash at the enemy, not even trying to make a good approach. I rarely EVER use Thunder Jolt and when I do, I end up failing miserably. I have tried doing more of a "camp" game, but it is very hard for me to transition, and I'm doing horrible in matches.

Can anyone give me a heads-up on "camping" strategy and tips or somethings on how to do it?

Thanks.

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
you dont have to camp. anther doesnt really camp either. your strategy should work just fine without introducing gay camping.

EDIT: VVVVVV no this is fail VVVV

Miamisportsfan45

Smash Lord
Keep JUST the right spacing without camping?

But honestly, I wouldn't worry about camping or spamming. The way I see it, you can play to win, or you can play for respect. It's up to you.

Anther

Smash Champion
It's the general marth strategy, just apply pressure with your attacks until your opponent starts to fall into them.
Or you can jump in and be the victim of that strategy =p

M15t3R E

Smash Master
You don't even have to camp, lol. I sure don't.
Just know the t-jolt approaches well and use fair to land behind them when you can. That's what I do. ;o

K 2

Smash Lord
Pikachu is an in-your-face fighter.However, running at your opponent is rather...reckless, and your likely to get punished. Using tjolt/varying up your approaches is a better idea. Keeping good spacing/doing crossup aerials make it harder for your opponent to punish you, and you should definitely implement it into your game...It's the basics of smash.

While camping isn't my primary strategy, I do fall back on it when I want to slow the tempo of the match down. If things aren't working for me and I'm getting pummeled, I usually QAC away and shoot tjolts for a while until I've regain control of the match. Outcamping your opponent is one of the most frustrating things he will face, and when they are frustrated, they make mistakes, and mistakes = punishment.

Another thing, don't fall into the mindset that camping is "cheap" and "dishonorable." While camping is a bit gay, I do use it when I need to. It's an effective tactic that should be used without hesitation when needed.

neji32

Smash Lord
Its not really campe more of just pressure. just like what anther said, your pressuring your opponents to fall into you traps. if you do wat to stay up close though, that works too, just be the type that counters and try to perfect shield every atack and punish it with your own. but that way is much harder.

P.S- try mk with your current play style, it really works!! lol =p

Legendary Pikachu

Smash Ace
If you want to "totally go offensive" you could try to QaC in rather than dash in, and QaC like CRAZY through the opponent. Of course, QaC'ing in place when opponents start flailing like crazy around them in panic. Then come out of QaC with attacks, ledge-grabs, grabs, smashes, and what-have-you.

Technically if you combine QaC'ing aways and fowards with aerial and ground, opponents should have near impossible time landing a clean hit while you are all up in their face and away at the same time.

Try that and see if you like it. Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
Legendary Pikachu, LDPK, still a fledgeling smashboards'er

lmntolp

Smash Apprentice
I think going into training mode to see the maximum range of each of my moves has improved my spacing a bit. It's also good to know how much range your opponent's moves have.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
shield helps spacing. Its great to know the minimum dash distance you can dash shield. Otherwise, keep conscious in matches and practice landing your aerials behind the opponent. Spacing has a lot to do with your DI in the air, and this will get you used to it.

Thunderjolt is a mid range tactic used to mess up the opponent's spacing or aggression, not your own. I don't know how you're getting owned by using it, as its a pretty safe move. -_-'

That walk thing that anther does for spacing strangely requires a LOT of skill LOL.

Muhznit

Smash Journeyman
Assuming you C-Stick, set it to "special" or something other than what you're used to. It'll help break the habit of being "in your face".

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
I have a question that kind of relates to this thread... how should I approach Marth with Pika? I'm having a terrible time with this. Every time I QaC, he just spams his fair or fsmash. Everytime I use Pika's regular B, it leaves me open for an attack from above. How should I go about approaching Marth?

gallax

Smash Hero
when approaching marth...dont. if the battle gets close you need to powershield his moves and try to predict when he is going to use his dancing blades. predict this and shield shield and it will leave him open to attack.

also, you should try approaching him with different mindagames and unpredictability. he can pull out his fair and his nair whenever he want to so spacing is key here. you want to face marth on the ground.

gallax

Smash Hero
i think we just said basically the same thing stealth. one of us must play as marth and the other must play against marths....

gallax

Smash Hero
ok. i third marth. he used to be my main and i am **** good with him. second best in florida next to hrnut. so i know what i am talking about. do not rely on the qac for approachin. use it for getting away or when marth is on platforms. when he is on plats use the qac to land under him then qac>jump>immediate nair. other than that the qac isnt really effective. it is very easy to counter with marths NAIR...just like stealth said.

Roller

Smash Legend
I agree with galax here, use QAC to flee wen needed, andmaybe for some mindgames if he is high in the air and you want to make it hard for him to decide where to land. I often approach Marths with Tjolts.

Pika_Cam

Smash Ace
Ok, thank you for all the advice. I have a video I can post later of a Marth whooping me. Maybe then, you guys can tell me precisely what I'm doing wrong.

Top Bottom