• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you avoid the grab game?

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Honestly I have almost no clue of what to do to avoid and/or counter getting ravaged by characters with strong grab games like ICs, DDD, falco, and special circumstances like Pika vs. fox. I'll take any advice you have to offer. Thanks in advance!

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
Try to umm...
It's kinda...
Ok, first off, who are you using?
The same strategey to get around grabs doesn't apply to the each character.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
It's basically space your most unpunishable aerials for the most part.

D3 is particularly tricky because his range is so good. ICs are space those aerials and whenever nana is alone beat up on her hardcore.

-Ran

Smash Master
It's simple really. Don't approach, or rather don't attack when you know your opponent is prepared to shield. Attack only out of reaction to them dropping their shield or when they are actually about to attack you.

Stay high up in the air a lot if you can. Also, you can't grab through a spotdoge. I'm not saying spam spotdodge though.

Limeee

Smash Champion
are they running up and shielding?

pivot grab or run up and grab them back

or you could space.

since your pit you could plank like masashi :psycho:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Pick a character whos hard to grab like Jigglypuff. Stay in the air the entire match and use her superb aerial mobility to get away from grabs. Other than that you'll lose to most of the cast except for IC and Diddy Kong.

But really just use Jiggs to solve the IC grab problem, if they're not extremely good (because its harder to throw combo puff) then all you have to do is stay out of grabbing distance and separate them which is really easy to do for puff. Kill nana and then everything good to go.

humble

Smash Ace
You're a pit main, plank moar. Stay in the air, use retreating fair on shield, fullhop dair, just stay out of range and pressure them with arrows. Really, Pit shouldn't have problem with grab chars.

In general, just stick to platforms, stay near the ledge, and keep out of range. Space your safest moves on shield and stay back. Defensive play works best against grab happy characters. If they get in the air, they can't grab, so juggle and pressure them in the air when you can, back off otherwise.

masterspeaks

Smash Apprentice
Make it tortuous to approach. Pit isn't killing anyone till about 150% so don't be shy with peppering approaching opponents with arrows. Usually, if you space right they will air dodge or shield an arrow with in range for you to get off a grab==>pummel or they will side dodge near you and you can punish with Pit's jab. MK just ***** you...

stealthgun

Smash Cadet
Easy, don't get grabbed.
Lol you sound like my rl friend blubba_pinecone =P. When he was first helping me train he'd keep grabbing me over and over and I kept yelling 'stop grabbing me!!!' and he kept saying 'stop getting grabbed' lol

Veel

Smash Apprentice
Mix up your game and don't give them stupid/easy grabs.; play from the ledge or platforms if you have to. Also you could always just grab the ice climbers first, their grab ranges are garbage ;p

CR4SH

Smash Lord
Put yourself in situations where a grab isn't a threat. Use your character's movement to avoid the grab, not your character's moves.

Use the moves too, but secondarily to movement.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay then, hard mode, how to not get grabbed as ike?, no multihit moves, no projectile, no planking game, where it your god now?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If Ike uses his fair and it's well spaced, I don't dare to go near that thing, then talk about a grab!

humble

Smash Ace
Mix up your game and don't give them stupid/easy grabs.; play from the ledge or platforms if you have to. Also you could always just grab the ice climbers first, their grab ranges are garbage ;p
just wanted to point out this is a horrible idea, as the other IC will always hit you if you grab one of the ICs. Don't try this unless they are seperated or you are fighting sopo. Even then, if they are seperated you should be forcing them even further apart, if its sopo...lol he sucks anyway.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Rob can safely grab IC, his fthrow is like 2 frames so the other one is a hell long distance away that getting grabbed won't matter anyways.

link2702

Smash Champion
brawl IC will always remain one of the most retardedly broken characters in smash history, yes, imo even more so then mk in alot of ways, one grab....one grab is all they need to either kill you or do massive damage, whereas everyone else has to constantly punish several mistakes you make, the ice climbers only need to punish one....with a grab, imo the current ruleset for em of 300% before they ahve to end the cg is still too good for em, surely someone has a better solution/ruleset for em?!?! but alas, that is for another topic.

basicly play as gay as you possibly can against the broken ******** eskimos of hell, plank em, camp em with arrows, use every last cheap tactic lolbrawl has to offer, and hell if you have to, time them out, seriouusly, play as cheap and gayy as you can against them

if/when you do get them seperated, go absolutly crazy on nana and try to KO her as soon as possible

but seriously, the IC are so ******** it isn't even funny, and thanks to the addition of tripping(lol sakurai) you will eventually get grabbed, and for characters without projectiles, it makes things 10x worse, unless the broken ****** main screws up on the timing, you're pretty much dead

Kitamerby

Smash Hero
Silentspectre in Melee can kill most people with a single grab.

Ban Jeff.

Link mah boi, chillax and don't get grabbed.

DaomarIsBear

Smash Journeyman
Unless Nana is in position to follow up the CG, its quite possible to mash out of the grab anywhere under 50%.

Lol, Jeff too good.

PicMan

Smash Cadet
Its just like in melee when people found out ice climbers had that inf grab...just dont get grabbed o.o

Padô

Smash Lord
Hmm, maybe you are getting mind *****? I don't know... By the way there are some stupid options you could do to avoid many types of grabs honestly.

1st Watch carefully why he's grabbing you, when he's grabbing you and in which way (running grabs, pivot grabs, standing grabs)

2nd Start to predict what your opponent is doing, if you keep doing those flaws (and getting grabbed) maybe he'll try to abuse from this more and more BUT by doing that your opponent gets a lot more predictable on which way he's grabbing you.

3rd Use a option that your character have, everyone has one, like BSticking, an autograb attack (like Wario's Bite) or maybe jumping out and restarting over the game even ledge grabbing is an option just try to get over those patterns your opponent got.

I hope this helped you.

STOP TROLLING this is serious, everybody knows grab influencies on brawl are HUGE.

Damage Points

Smash Ace
Just play smart. Don't put yourself in a position to get grab. Retreating moves always work well and stay near the ledges so if you get grabbed let's day by a D3 he cant chain grab you to long.

Top Bottom