• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you beat Game and Watch?

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
Most want to know how to play Game and Watch, but this is for the ones that want to beat Game and Watch. I have a rough time fighting him, and I'm sure there's more of us out there who do as well. What can we do? Any suggestions you have, post them.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well, keep in mind that if you are playing a good GW, you have to take advantage of him in neutral. if he gets you into a combo situation, you are going to eat a lot of damage and die relatively quickly. GW has some good approach options, between bair, dash attack, SHDB, spacing things like dtilt, dash attack, and his DACUS. however, GW does lack in the mobility and speed department. the properties of his approaches are good, especially on shield, but its the SPEED of the approaches that makes his neutral game suffer a bit. baiting with DDs to force reactions can allow you to punish him relatively effectively, depending on your character.

who are you using btw? its very MU dependent, but beating GW consists of making use of either superior mobility options or range. since his pressure game is limited, you have a lot of room in neutral to work with if you can supply better pressure than he can. its not too difficult to bait his up b OOS either.

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
well, keep in mind that if you are playing a good GW, you have to take advantage of him in neutral. if he gets you into a combo situation, you are going to eat a lot of damage and die relatively quickly. GW has some good approach options, between bair, dash attack, SHDB, spacing things like dtilt, dash attack, and his DACUS. however, GW does lack in the mobility and speed department. the properties of his approaches are good, especially on shield, but its the SPEED of the approaches that makes his neutral game suffer a bit. baiting with DDs to force reactions can allow you to punish him relatively effectively, depending on your character.

who are you using btw? its very MU dependent, but beating GW consists of making use of either superior mobility options or range. since his pressure game is limited, you have a lot of room in neutral to work with if you can supply better pressure than he can. its not too difficult to bait his up b OOS either.
Currently im using DK, but that is subject to change. I've always played Falco, so knowing the MU's for either one of them would be a good start.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
Ok so all you're looking for as dk is a simple grab. Both you can GW have crazy combo to kill games, so who ever wins it in neutral is going to win the match. Utilize lots of CCing and dash attack through bacon if you need. It shouldn't be too hard to land a few grabs

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Q: How do you beat Game and Watch?

A: Easily.

Personally I always like the feint of spamming him with projectiles until he finally gets out his slow bucket, then using that opening to kick him in the face. His air moves aren't bad, but are easily telegraphed, so go around them and once you're good at that, keep him in the air, he hits the ceiling pretty fast.

KMAL

Smash Apprentice
Q: How do you beat Game and Watch?

A: Easily.

Personally I always like the feint of spamming him with projectiles until he finally gets out his slow bucket, then using that opening to kick him in the face. His air moves aren't bad, but are easily telegraphed, so go around them and once you're good at that, keep him in the air, he hits the ceiling pretty fast.
I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Personally I always like the feint of spamming him with projectiles until he finally gets out his slow bucket, then using that opening to kick him in the face.
Apparently you don't face gnw's that are smart enough to release the bucket right in your face when you go to kick them.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
They do, it's still a slow move and most air juggling characters also run really fast, like Sheik or a Lylat pilot who isn't Wolf. Or I'm often Mario and even if they release the bucket to try to counter, charging with a cape off a small jump or short hop gives a good opening into Game and Watch who has pretty precise range. If they release bucket, immediately duck, and throw a manhole cover, they threw the paper to my rock, but generally releasing a B Down move to go into a duck doesn't occur.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Why did I let him get three fills of his bucket? I'm not caping oil panic, I'm caping Game and Watch. To turn him around for more hits if he's dumb enough to not block or counter effectively.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
@ G13_Flux G13_Flux Im an Ike player and I usually dont have an issue against my Ike
Its more difficult against my Squirtle, any help on that?
I also have trouble beating G&W with my Squirtle. It's my worst MU. I also use Charizard and Mario and they aren't much better.

Menk

Smash Cadet
I'm having trouble too, It seems GnW is at frame advantage all the time. My DK can't even grab GnW out of any moves because GnW can get a dtilt or up b out too fast. As long as GnW doesn't approach with fair he seems invincible. I think DK's up special beats most of GnW's options but it'll just lead to a punish anyway. Does GnW have any really bad matchups I can use to have a better time fighting him?

Top Bottom