• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel when you're playing your best?

Myztek

Smash Ace
As best you can, describe how you feel (both physically and mentally if possible) when you're playing your best at Melee.

Try to avoid reading other people's answers before you post your own so that you don't potentially skew or change what you would have said.

For me:
Technical errors are slim to non-existent, and if I do make a technical error, it doesn't bother me at all - I just continue playing and try to make the best out of my fumble. I have no awareness of my controller or hands. I'm 100% caught in what's taking place in the game. My train of thought is purely about the game to the point that I end up doing things that I would normally not even think of doing; things that I actually surprise myself with. Unfortunately, I sometimes break out of this zone when I do something that I amaze myself with, because I begin to question if I'd be able to do it again [something I've managed to mostly overcome by telling myself that I'm fully capable of doing anything in the game if I practice enough]. And best of all, when I'm playing my best, I'm genuinely having fun with the game. Even if I'm losing, I can appreciate the skill of my opponent and how he has managed to outplay me in a given situation and I learn from it.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
When I am playing at my best, it is virtually tunnel vision. Nothing else matters at all aside from my opponent. I amaze myself with my reads, I don't get mad or lose focus if I mess up. I find myself laughing a lot, not disrespectfully towards my opponent, but anytime I do something that I literally have never imagined doing working beautifully and perfectly in a given situation makes me so happy. As cliche as it sounds, I literally feel like I'm a super saiyan. Like, I'm experiencing for a brief moment a level of play that I never imagined I would be at, and I know exactly how to use that power. It doesn't happen very often, but it happened a couple nights ago. And it was glorious.

For some reason, the most often times I reach this level is when I have a really bad stomach ache. idk why, but the pain from the stomach ache is sort of like a background noise almost? How to word this... The stomach ache distracts me from distractions... but I can focus on the game 100% and ignore the stomach pain. I don't really know how to explain it lol. Basically, stomach aches = focus.

But my reads, by far, feel incredible to me. I'm no longer guessing... It's like, I pick up on their habbits subconciously, like my mind noticed but I didn't, and I punish them accordingly. It's just an overally crazy feeling.

Once I hit that level of focus, I can literally play the game for far longer than I normally could. It's like, If I'm playing on an average day, I become fatigued and need to take a break after 3 or 4 hours. But when I hit that level, I could play for 10 hours straight. Maybe it's because I don't want to lose that feeling? Not sure. But I wish I knew how to harness it.

Sephirothxxx

Smash Ace
NNID
Royzourboy
3DS FC
4313-2332-7958
My mind feels pretty much blank. My fingers suddenly take over and win me some matches. Occasionally something pops into my head, but it doesnt throw me off. When I realised I've won and become happy for myelf, I concentrate on winningthe next match, and dont do nearly as well. Basically I'm saying I perform best when I'm not realising how well I'm doing, if that makes sense.

Shawn101589

Smash Journeyman
really incredibly confident like anything possible every thought becomes a action that i even surprise myself i feel excited with adrenalin but at the same time a calm peace feeling of simple having fun
LOL edmund I was thinking about playing you the other night when i made my description. We were both going hard that night

Massive

Smash Champion
Generally speaking I consider playing my best to be in "the zone".
It's a psychological concept known as flow.

I suspect this is an almost universal phenomenon, although people will probably describe it in different ways.

There have been numerous recent experiments to stimulate the flow state in humans. Most of these tests have been carried out by the U.S. Department of Defense for use in military training. Their methods have actually been pretty successful too.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Generally speaking I consider playing my best to be in "the zone".
It's a psychological concept known as flow.

I suspect this is an almost universal phenomenon, although people will probably describe it in different ways.

There have been numerous recent experiments to stimulate the flow state in humans. Most of these tests have been carried out by the U.S. Department of Defense for use in military training. Their methods have actually been pretty successful too.
I'm familiar with flow/zone etc. I'm more interested in personal descriptions, honestly. But thank you for posting for those who may not be familiar with it. I'd just like to avoid generalized answers.

zZz

Smash Apprentice
I feel very calm when I'm in my zone. I feel like I have some kind of subconscious control of my opponents character. Something in my mind says "NOW! Now is your chance to give it all you've got!" and it's like the answers from things that haven't happened yet start pouring into my mind. Usually by this point the game has become very fun and my tech skill will be surprisingly on point but simple and clean.

Fregadero

Smash Journeyman
My hands are directly connected to my brain, and I can do anything. I know what you're going to do, and it doesn't matter.

:phone:

Massive

Smash Champion
I'm familiar with flow/zone etc. I'm more interested in personal descriptions, honestly. But thank you for posting for those who may not be familiar with it. I'd just like to avoid generalized answers.
If that's what you want, I basically describe my flow state as "ON".

I can see every movement my opponent is making and have already performed the action to counter it seeming instinctively.
I can easily avoid most attacks and power-shield projectiles with amazing frequency. I do not miss any rests.

It feels like my mind has reduced my opponent's entire strategy into something so simple, so fundamental, that responding to it feels like the most obvious and natural thing in the world.

It is immensely frustrating to think of how good I am when I'm "ON" compared to how I am when I'm not. Those slight advantages to processing speed and control precision are the only perceivable difference between how I normally perform and making money at tournaments.

Consequently, I am always investigating ways to induce the flow state in a fashion that is reproducible and non-damaging.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Excited that Iv'e reached a level that I thought I would never reach. perfect tech skill. Combos on point and intimidating my opponents easily.

Keblerelf

Smash Ace
I become the character. I fuse into the screen.

I don't press buttons to push attacks, I just do.

I don't think about anything.

I can't feel my hands.

I am flying.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
I feel like i am in the zone and can do no wrong. With a bit of self hype (like ready to trash talk at the drop of a hat) and all together on point.

Kinda hard feelings to truly descripe to others

:phone:

twizzlerj

Smash Journeyman
When im playing my best my tech skill is very good im happy to be playing even if im losing. After all my practice its good to feel like im playing my best because it makes me feel my time was well spent.

LLDL

Smash Hero
That's the spirit man, keep it up. Exactly how I felt in those days when I was starting up.

Kal

Smash Champion
When I'm on the ball with Fox, it feels kind of like I'm Batman, except with all of Superman's powers, and Iron Man's badass DBZ hyperbeam palms.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Why does it feel like I'm the only one for whom the answer to this question is "Frustrated"? :V
I get frustrated when I do perfect shield pressure and they slip away before I am able to hit them. It happens a lot when I'm being stubborn and don't want to grab. lol (also, Sheik's shield is BS)

Top Bottom