• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Get Around Blockers?

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
While playing smash I've had the pleasure of running into a lot of fighters that just block ever single one of my attacks and its really annoying. Sometimes they'll just wait for me to attack just so they can block and grab me. I get around it but its really frustrating sometimes:mad:. Have you run into this type of player? Whats the best way to fight this player? (Besides running and grabbing them)

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Pivot-tilts and pivot-smashes. You can also bait them and punish their predictability. There's not much you can do but what there is is more than enough to teach them being single-minded will not do in this game.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
Just grab them please.

Sheild > attack > grab > sheild.

A more real answer I guess...
Don't commit to long cool down/start up attacks when your opponent hasn't commited to anything. Use pokes that are safe on sheild.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Just grab them please.

Sheild > attack > grab > sheild.

A more real answer I guess...
Don't commit to long cool down/start up attacks when your opponent hasn't commited to anything. Use pokes that are safe on sheild.
Its just so annoying to having to keep doing that but I guess its the only way. Wario's neutral B works well too

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Grabbing is not a good option on some characters where if the shielding person suspects it, can heavily punish. There are some good frame traps in this game you can try to do against people who shield. What aerials or attacks do your characters have that you can possibly f-tilt or jab out of before the opponent can counter with a shield grab or attack?

One example of a nice trap is if you use Lilttle Mac. Some characters cannot react fast enough if you dash attack behind them and then f-tilt. Yoshi has many of those too with EDIT: HER low lag aerials to f-tilt. What character are you using btw?

Last edited:

Roxas215

Smash Lord
Grabbing is not a good option on some characters where if the shielding person suspects it, can heavily punish. There are some good frame traps in this game you can try to do against people who shield. What aerials or attacks do your characters have that you can possibly f-tilt or jab out of before the opponent can counter with a shield grab or attack?

One example of a nice trap is if you use Lilttle Mac. Some characters cannot react fast enough if you dash attack behind them and then f-tilt. Yoshi has many of those too with EDIT: HER low lag aerials to f-tilt. What character are you using btw?
What u just listed has nothing to do with your inital question. What your describing is someone baiting you to attack them. Not simply shielding everything u do.Like i said there are OP defensive options in this game(Rolls/Buffer Spotdodges) But just simply being in your shield isn't very smart.

I use peach. I approach with turnips, float canceled dair and nair, or bair. I don't really have a problem approaching people. I have problems killing.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
What u just listed has nothing to do with your inital question. What your describing is someone baiting you to attack them. Not simply shielding everything u do.Like i said there are OP defensive options in this game(Rolls/Buffer Spotdodges) But just simply being in your shield isn't very smart.

I use peach. I approach with turnips, float canceled dair and nair, or bair. I don't really have a problem approaching people. I have problems killing.
Hm... can you elaborate more? I don't quite understand the difference between shielding attacks and someone baiting an attack while shielding. I personally use the shield to counter an unsafe attack and do something like jab combo or f-tilt out of it, so I guess you could say I do both? For reference I mainly use Falcon and Ganon.

I agree staying in shield isn't smart, but the shield in general I believe is a strong option since shield stun and actions out of shield are extremely fast in this game.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
Depends. If they're just perfect-shielding everything ever and dodging everything that can't be shielded, there is absolutely nothing you can do about that; a perfect shield is absolutely 100% safe from everything that's not a grab or Little Mac's Guard Breaker custom move.

If they're just sitting in shield, feel free to hit it hard with a properly-spaced Smash Attack, or simply dash-grab, roll-cancel grab, or dash attack-cancel grab (whichever gets you to the target and grabbing them fastest). For example, Mii Swordfighter's FSmash is pretty much safe on shield if spaced properly, because they'll be pushed so far back that they won't be able to do anything before you can act out of it. If they dodge or perfect-shield, though, they get a free punish. So feel free to hit shields aggressively in the hopes of getting them to breaking point, just as long as you do it from a safe distance.

Edit: Other moves that smite shields effectively: Bowser Bomb is an instant break, supposedly DK has moves that can instantly crush a shield, fully-charged or near-fully-charged Shield Breaker from Marth or Lucina is an instant break, Warlock Punch from Ganondorf is almost certainly an instant break (and it's super-armoured too), and Ganondorf's DAir hits shields stupid-hard as well (though it's not safe by any means unless you actually get a shield-break with it).

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
Well you probably shouldn't be throwing out so many attacks that are easily blocked. If you are predictable they'll shield everything since it's not hard and gives them more options.

To answer your question though, the best way to beat shield abusers is just to grab them. A lot. They'll stop shielding if you keep grabbing them. Especially if your grabs set up true kill combos at really low percents like Falcon and Zelda. Alternatively if you're playing as Marth/Lucina, just use shieldbreaker and I guarantee they'll stop spamming shields.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
Another solution I find is that some characters have really fast shield pokers that can get under even average-sized shields. Sheik's down tilt for example is a really good option against people anticipating a grab, should grabs not work normally.

Supermario12

Smash Apprentice
Well you probably shouldn't be throwing out so many attacks that are easily blocked. If you are predictable they'll shield everything since it's not hard and gives them more options.

To answer your question though, the best way to beat shield abusers is just to grab them. A lot. They'll stop shielding if you keep grabbing them. Especially if your grabs set up true kill combos at really low percents like Falcon and Zelda. Alternatively if you're playing as Marth/Lucina, just use shieldbreaker and I guarantee they'll stop spamming shields.
This actually kinda worked. I keep grabbing till people stop now. Thank You

Anthuhny

Smash Cadet
Make sure you dont grab Rosalina though thats a free punish for her because the luma can break it :( if anyone knows how to handel that let me know (also spacing on shield is not happening because no shield stun of course and you can just run right out of shield almost immediately).

mangamusicfan

Dark lord
NNID
mangamusicfan
3DS FC
1891-2073-5876
Grabs works fine also try to mix up your moves a bit.
if they can defend or evade all of it you are doing something wrong.

~Burst~

Smash Journeyman
Grabbing isn't the only option. Depending on the character you're using you can make attacks safe on block and if they're shield grab happy their grabs will wiff and you can hit them for free.
There are multiple way to go about doing this
Using max distance attacks
Going inside and behind them
Using an aerial and pulling back
All the options you have against shield are character specific really.
Puff can weave in and out against opponents easily on top of Pound breaking shields easy.
Visit the forum for you character and lab up.

Top Bottom