• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how do you get recognition going into tournaments?

Inferno_Frostbiter

Smash Rookie
i mean, look at dr.pp, mango, m2k. how did they all start and how did they climb that mountain and go to the top? i want to be like them and get some recognition when the next super smash comes out. maybe there will be leaderboards and it will show people's scores.

anyway, it is your bro inferno frostbiter and i will try to conquer the smash community.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
You dedicate a lot of your time to Smash Bros. You go to all the tournaments, you practice all the time, and you don't really do much else.

I remember a time when M2K wasn't good at Smash Bros, but then he started going to all the tournaments, he calculated the frame data of like everything in Melee, picked the best characters to play, and played until he was the best.

-Ran

Smash Master
You make a list of everyone you know that's better than you in your state. Don't just write down their name, quantify why they are better. You then start working to reach their level of skill, and you challenge them. One after another, you go up against them, doing whatever you can to win. You train until you beat everyone on that list. Then you make a new list, everyone in driving distance that's better than you. Now you're going head hunting across state lines.... Keep repeating until you're on top.

GiantBoyDetective

Smash Cadet
i mean, look at dr.pp, mango, m2k. how did they all start and how did they climb that mountain and go to the top? i want to be like them and get some recognition when the next super smash comes out. maybe there will be leaderboards and it will show people's scores.

anyway, it is your bro inferno frostbiter and i will try to conquer the smash community.
Watch the Smash Bros documentary if you wanna see the work they put in. You have to be willing to travel, that's for sure.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
I got recognition from commentating and generally being an insufferable idiot

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757

I will meet you at the top for the showdown of the ages!

To everyone else, these comments have been helpful to me too. Hoping for great matches agianst all ya'll!

Generally, I feel like a person sort of pops out of nowhere a lot of the time. I started up with Brawl and I recall seeing the raise of Ally a bit. I never heard of him before hand, but one time randomly see him on a stream challenging M2K with Snake vs MK matches in losers/winners.

I suspect it probably just happens by playing the game much and finding you got good. So, you decide to travel to larger tournaments where other people will never have heard of you before. If you place well, you get recognized momentarily. If you keep doing it you got your fame.

Top Bottom