• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Do You Guys Deal With Campers

Evan BlazE

Smash Apprentice
- New York - The Polluted State - *Casual East Coa
Hi, I need some advice

I had a few online matches against Link, or should I say a camping link,

Everytime I go in for an attack, he spot D. and i get hit with a smash.

This happens alot, if I dont go in, he'll just stay there and throws things at you....

What would you guys recommend....?

Jeepy Sol

Smash Ace
I know what you mean. A match with a good Link will usually result in a major head ache.

Well, you can always spam back! Shoot some BAS's to mess with him.

In my experience, when you throw a BAS at Link, he will stand still so that his sheild will block it. That's your chance to run up and crowd him.

Or you could Reverse Double Team his arrows to get in close/surprise him.

This happens alot, if I dont go in, he'll just stay there and throws things at you....
You're going to want go in and attack. Don't just stand there. That's what Link wants you to do.

Nodrak

Smash Ace
Indeed, if he spams projectiles, you have a good one to spam back. If he's always spot dodging your advances, try another advance, for example; run up, avoid an attack he uses then attack. Mix it up, try not to be too predictable. Also if you're close enough, double team the projectiles.

salaboB

Smash Champion
You could also just run at him like you're going to attack, wait for him to shield/spot dodge, then initiate a short hopped dair -- it should catch him during the vulnerability at the end of the dodge.

Greenpoe

Smash Ace
I like to use AAA against spot dodgers. They might dodge the first hit, but the 2nd or 3rd should hit! Otherwise, sh'd dair works well
Maybe even up tilts or d-tilts?

Oathblivion

Smash Apprentice
That's the great thing about Lucario. He is so versatile that you can match him to any tactic your opponent can throw out. If they go into the air, you follow. If they sit there and spam, well, spam back. I don't know about others (except the few posters above me), but I prefer fighting fire with fire. So far, it has served me well. I must admit, I've never played against a decent Link, so he might have something to gimp AS. If memory serves, TL's arrows completely destroy our AS...

-Oath

RBNuke

Smash Apprentice
I say this a lot in here, but try using your jab or forward tilt! They can go through a spot dodge pretty often. Don't use your smashes if you think they're going to spot dodge - we have laggy smashes =( Also try doing the short hop forward air tactic, it works pretty well against shielders and dodgers too. And Link's a pretty heavy character, isn't he? Is he a good chain grab target?

For the projectiles, just learn to perfect shield and walk right through them. If you're in the air, try learning to catch the bombs - they make approaching him a piece of cake!

Silvran

Smash Apprentice
I can't stand campers- it's a valid tactic, I just don't like it. That said, my roomate plays Link. He tends to camp until he sees an opening, though I can normally get through. Know the arc of the arrows, use the pull of the gale boomerang to close and smash if they aren't covering that (you move towards them surprisingly fast, with the hitbox already there). Bombs... either play hot potato while closing, or just dodge them. For projectiles in general, BAS can cancel many of them, we have an amazing dodge roll, reverse DT... well, you have options. If he's just spotdodging your approach, the aaa does work well, and you could vary the timing on your attacks too- empty short hop--> double team? If he's that paranoid with his spot dodges, you'll hopefully land and DT right as his smash starts. Hope this helps.

Rayku

Smash Lord
Can Lucario get through arrows with a fair? If he can, that's a great way to get rid of arrows. If he throws bombs, catch them and beat him with those. Boomerang isn't really even a threat.

indianunit

Smash Journeyman
I hate camping spammers ie. Ice Climbers. Omg i hate them so. Why just today i was versing a guy using ice climbers and he was all like spamming those ice things while i was trying to charge my AS. I just decided to roll toward him and either attack, grab, anything. Like greendude says a great way to hit him if he spot dodges is AAA. That or a short hopped dair. That works too.

Uh I hate ice climbers.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I hate camping spammers ie. Ice Climbers. Omg i hate them so. Why just today i was versing a guy using ice climbers and he was all like spamming those ice things while i was trying to charge my AS. I just decided to roll toward him and either attack, grab, anything. Like greendude says a great way to hit him if he spot dodges is AAA. That or a short hopped dair. That works too.

Uh I hate ice climbers.
Sometimes, if u have enough damage (like in the 50's, but then again, they wouldn't be camping at that point), when ur charging ur AS, If ur facing away from the ice blocks, the sphere will cause them to bounce off without hurting u.

Nodrak

Smash Ace

Uh I hate ice climbers.
You can short/full hop and charge, then cancel it with airdodge before you hit the ground to get it charged. But ph1l's idea may be better once you get to 50%

Raiken

Smash Cadet
I always seem to have trouble against this one Wolf laser spammer... if i try to approach by roll dodging i get d-smashed almost every time (though i should probably expect it...) and if i try to approach from the air he'll always get just out of my range and then f-smash me when i can't dodge. Also is very good at predicting when i'll use double team.. so it makes it pretty hard to approach him.

Messing with him by using AS works a little bit, but not often enough to make much of a difference, so i'm not really sure how to approach him.

..any ideas on what i should try?

Da N

Smash Journeyman
The vacinity of the planet Earth. (California)
I usually try an aerial approach. Link doesnt have very good aerial projectiles besides bombs (which are slow) and tilted boomerang. Bombs are easily air dodged, just make sure to not grab it. *** work well if you don't camp from that far back, seeing as though BASs don't have good range at all. Dair works well on spot dodgers. If that doesnt work use a very quick attack, say fair, and then go into DT. Most of the time he'll fall for it and be hit by the DT.

Top Bottom