• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys shine OoS -> wavedash?

L33thal

Smash Apprentice
I see people like Mango doing this a lot, but I was wondering how people do this on their controllers.

I shine OoS with control stick, but when I try wavedashing afterwards it's always uncomfortable and slow. I've heard people on Reddit talking about using sliding C-stick to B to shine OoS, but that seems even harder. Is there an optimal setup or method that players use in general to do this tech?

Side question:
When your opponent gets back onto the edge, what's the optimal way to handle this situation? I've tried spamming spaced bairs and f-tilts, but people with good frame knowledge get out of this. Should you shoot a lot of lasers until you can grab or just let them back on so you can set up a punish?

Big thanks to anyone who helps!

Last edited:

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
I claw, but I can do it without clawing, you just need to get fast fingers, I shine oos with y, and x when I'm not clawing. As for the side question, don't spam moves, you have to do things with a purpose, if you're bairing just to bair, you're doing it wrong. Everything you throw out should be either to cover an option, or to hit. Depending on the character you're fighting, edgeguarding can be drastically different. Fox you can shine bair or dair, or low ftilt him, dsmash works too. Falco is basically the same. Marth you can dsmash, if they're recovering high fsmash, low angle ftilt or dair. Sheik is hard timing, but if she recovers on stage just punish hard, if she snaps to ledge try to grab before she can get there. Falcon is super easy to edgeguard literally 90% of the time. Jigglypuff is tough, but you just need to get used to her. Peach is pretty easy to read and so are Icies most of the time.

Jono

Smash Apprentice
After shine, I slide from B to Y and press L.

Oskurito

Smash Lord
To jump quickly and shine oos: Slide your thumb from X to B or from Y to B in the same speed as if you were trying to multishine and then wavedash.

Is pretty hard, but if you've got double shines somewhat consistent you should be able to do this.

F V T S

Smash Rookie
also known as the waveshine oos :p

it's the same concept as multishining where you need to shine on the very first airborn frame. after that it's just a typical waveshine movement. most people use x or y to jump OoS, but for waveshining OoS i like to:

1.) be shielding
2.) press c-stick up with thumb, to jump
at this point a very fluid windshield-wiper movement begins with my thumb, from left to right. my left thumb at this point is just holding down on the analog stick.
3.) press b on first airborn frame
4.) slide from b to x to jump cancel the shine. it's okay if you press A while doing so, the input doesn't do anything
5.) wavedash with your favorite trigger, adjusting the angle of the analog stick as necessary.

Top Bottom