• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you hold/use your controller?

Kmar

Smash Rookie
So I'm just wondering what people's thoughts were about the different variations for using the controller. I just realized that Z performs aerials like R did in N64. Is this a good alternative for A when performing n-airs? It seems better to me since you can use your two fingers instead of one, and therefore execute the n-air slightly faster off the ground. Thoughts?

Also what do people think about the "claw"? It seems like there are a lot of mixed reactions, but to me the claw seems slightly more useful if you can get over the discomfort/awkwardness/time spent relearning everything.

Additionally there's the option to use L or R. I know that most people just go with whatever feels comfortable (I shield with L because I developed the habit in the N64 days), but maybe there is a logical way to split up which moves you do on which buttons. For example, it makes more sense to WD with R, because then you can consolidate the timing on one hand. What about L-cancelling? L or R?

I know the simple answer is "watever works 4 u," but I prefer training myself to use the logically most efficient method.

Brick_Top

Smash Apprentice
if there was a "logically most efficient method" , then everyone would hold the controller the same way. Therefore, you won't like the answer, but whatever works for you.

not true, there is definitely a most efficient way, but it would depend on character/style and your opponent's character/style.

If you play Falco versus Fox, you'd need to nair shine somewhat often and since the Y button is closer to the B button than X is, then Y would logically be more efficient.

But it's really negligible and ultimately not a large deciding factor most people to change controller usage.

theunabletable

Smash Lord
If you play Falco versus Fox, you'd need to nair shine somewhat often and since the X button is closer to the B button than Y is, then X would logically be more efficient.
X button closer to the B button than Y?

Y is DEFINITELY closer to B than X.

A claw grip is probably the most effecient.

Zodiac

Smash Master
The claw IS a better way of controlling, I used it for about two weeks and my overall reaction times were better. but I didnt get used to it, recently I've been trying, there are some things the claw does not do efficiently and for those I switch back to standard grip.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I taunt with my right hand and I sometimes C-stick and don't even in the same case otherwise nothing really cool.

EDIT. Oh I forgot when I play as bowser I don't use X/Y/or the stick to SHFFL with. Answer=I sheild to C-stick to SHFFL with and I use the C-stck for everything as bowser

Kmar

Smash Rookie
if there was a "logically most efficient method" , then everyone would hold the controller the same way. Therefore, you won't like the answer, but whatever works for you.
Well I think that most people just go with the most comfortable option when they start playing, but it may not be the most useful option. And once they get set in their ways, they don't want to try anything else. So I do believe that there are more useful ways to use the controller based on your physiology and game character.

Now, most people just learn to do whatever they need to do regardless of the way they hold the controller, but it doesn't mean that it could be easier or better with alternative methods.

Personally I find Y more comfortable than X, but I find it easier to SH with those really sensitive characters like ICs or Pikachu if I use the X button. So I'm not sure whether to just tough it out and stick with Y, or spend some time and get used to X.

nyc_tag$

Smash Journeyman
I'm really good at playing Marth with one hand when blazed. For some reason I never miss any tippers LOL

Vts

Smash Champion
i use mine as a weapon to beat my opponent up and cause brain dmg so that lose the match since i suck at the game.

but it they are bigger than me i just press buttons hoping for the best

BEES

Smash Lord
there are two types of claws

-right index finger on the Y or X button
-left index finger on the control stick with the thumb

probably only worth it if you learned the game that way from the very beginning. otherwise your thumb will get strong/quick enough to handle the work faster than you can relearn everything with your index finger jumping.

now, if the gamecube controller had a diamond button configuration, that would be perfect. Your thumb could sit over B and Y at the same time and the wacky shine hijinx would be unstoppable.

keeper

Smash Champion
So I'm just wondering what people's thoughts were about the different variations for using the controller. I just realized that Z performs aerials like R did in N64. Is this a good alternative for A when performing n-airs? It seems better to me since you can use your two fingers instead of one, and therefore execute the n-air slightly faster off the ground. Thoughts?
Or you can use tap jump or hold your thumb with the tip on Y and the knuckle-whatever on A. That's what I've always done with GCN controllers since I got one. I attribute my supposed awkward controlling holding angles to my years of playing Armored Core where you'd have to hit up to three buttons at once in a dynamic sequence with the same finger while using the d-pad (PS2) and doing shoulder button inputs. My left thumb goes across the joystick almost horizontally.

This is all based on whatever is most comfortable. The most efficient way is literally what works best for you. Claw just allows more discriminated of inputs as it's finger specific, but if I played claw it'd take me months to get used to it considering I never touch L.

Sasha

Smash Journeyman
(I shield with L because I developed the habit in the N64 days)
L = taunt in N64.

I personally use L and R different. L to L cancel and tech. R for wavedashing. I tend to switch off for wavelanding, though I have no idea why.

Playing one-handed is totally legit too. Learning to wavedash one-handed was my most epic moment in smash ever.

Bones0

Smash Legend
L = taunt in N64.

I personally use L and R different. L to L cancel and tech. R for wavedashing. I tend to switch off for wavelanding, though I have no idea why.

Playing one-handed is totally legit too. Learning to wavedash one-handed was my most epic moment in smash ever.
L is taunt, but for the N64 Z was where you kept your left index finger, which is why it would translate to the habit of using L for shield in Melee.

The Star King

Smash Hero
After years of shielding with R, I am attempting to learn to shield with L just for wavedashing out of shield, as well as me getting into Smash64, so I figured I might as well get used to it anyway. It is HARD relearning something like that =/

But before this relearning thing I used L for L-cancelling (lol name influence), R for everything else. Yes, I know the L in L-cancel stands for lag, not the button.

Top Bottom