• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you Kill? What are some things I can do?

EnterAName

Smash Rookie
So far Bowser Jr is probably my favorite out of the cast. However, I can't figure out a safe reliable way to kill wit him yet.

I understand that Up-B the Car can kill, as can attacking while out of car. As well as forward Smash.

Other than those options I can't find a safe way to get a killing blow other than going off stage for a gimp.

Ralph Cecil

Smash Champion
NNID
RalphCecil
3DS FC
4098-4850-8033
I usually go deep with fairs offstage and gimp people or I catch them recovering high and get an uair. Also if people do a getup attack, normal get up, or jump from the ledge you can catch people with fsmash which is really good. Bthrow can kill too, but it's at a good deal higher %.

Soft Serve

softie
Premium
Forward smash is bad, they can SDI out of it easily and it whiffs close to him and has little range.
If you want to kill with a smash up smash kills early, d smash is pretty much better than fsmash in every way imo.

Footstool > up b gets the clown car to hit. Up throw to upb then hit them with the attack is a solid option as well.
Intercepting recoveries with the down b is good too. Use down b close to the ledge and pick it up a it turns around, then you can throw it.
Deep bairs and fairs and unstale nair kill off stage as well.

Rahfal

Smash Rookie
I generally try to finish them with my cart (forward b). It does good damage even at close range and even more at farther distance traveled. So far, not many have been able to dodge it most of the time. Otherwise, if they get close, up+b and hit them with hammer.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Ive found that at around 70-100%, clown car ram into jump cancel into up-b into that fall state aerial connects and kills lights nicely. They are actually still in hitstun and it is a real combo.

From that logic, clown car ram into jump cancel air moves works wonders. For example, the ram will always link into an up air at all percents higher then 45ish if you are fast enough. Other wise you can go d-air and get like 30ish percent on a 0% opponent.
For things inbetween use f-air.

Seriously, abuse the crap out of his forwards B. Jump cancel F-Bshort hop mind games for life.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Up Smash is the only good way on stage as far as I know. I find it exceedingly hard to KO with him, otherwise.

I don't think his recovery is good enough for really deep gimps, either.

I actually managed to kill with the spin out of his side B, but rarely. Is there a sweetspot to it? I really like this character, but his KO power is annoying lol.

Last edited:

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Up Smash is the only good way on stage as far as I know. I find it exceedingly hard to KO with him, otherwise.

I don't think his recovery is good enough for really deep gimps, either.

I actually managed to kill with the spin out of his side B, but rarely. Is there a sweetspot to it? I really like this character, but his KO power is annoying lol.

If you can hit with the clowncar DO NOT use the spin thing.

Jump when you hit them and youll be able to use any air move instantly. This also makes the move very safe when approaching.

You will be able to kill lights at roughly 80-100 percent if you can hit them with the car and do a non stale airmove.

Last edited:

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Down smash is legit. I'm also kind of a DAir spammer... Both with Jr and Greninja, lol.

F Smash is legit if you've got the right space for it. Up smash is also awesome in some situations.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I tend to do his hammer aerials (used after his Up-B) if I can get the spacing right. Otherwise, up-smash is best.

LightningLoops

Smash Cadet
NNID
BrayUSA
3DS FC
1092-0083-1620
Forward smash is bad, they can SDI out of it easily and it whiffs close to him and has little range.
If you want to kill with a smash up smash kills early, d smash is pretty much better than fsmash in every way imo.
This. Remember, you can Up Smash out of shield too.

Cherubas

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0774-4746-9812
He has lots of options, the tricky part is knowing reading your opponent. Some people will adapt to things, others won't, so you have to feel it out on the fly.

These are the moves I use to kill:

Down Smash - This is probably my preferred kill move, but the only situation I use it in is edge guarding. Stand on the ledge after you've knocked someone off and unleash this when they try to grab the ledge. It reaches out far enough and down low enough that it can usually guard the ledge pretty well. You may need to hop out and hit them with an aerial first though, just to waste their second jump, then you can use this move to counter their Up Special.

Up Smash - A little easier to catch someone with on stage than the Down Smash. Still, I basically only use this when someone is in the air above me, not so much for when we're both on the ground.

Side Special - Contrary to what some other people have said, I think the spinout is great as long as you time it right. I'm rarely punished for it. But then again I use this move sparingly enough that people rarely see it coming. It moves so fast that if they do react it's usually just to block and by the time they think of counterattacking I'm already ready again.

Side Tilt - This move has some decent range and is fairly safe compared to a lot of Bj's options. It can kill at higher percents, but I mostly use it for safely poking and trying to push people off the stage.

Forward and Back Air - Both are pretty solid if you get the timing and spacing right. The opponent has to be a little ways away from you. They can be useful for killing at higher percents (lower than the side tilt though) but as stated above, I mostly use them for keeping an opponent away from the ledge or racking up damage.

Neutral Special - Not going to kill at low percents, and by the time it will kill I feel you have better options, but if you want to go for style points you can launch one of these at a foe who's off the screen for a cheap kill.

Up Special - The exploding cart can kill, but the timing is tricky. Once you try it a few times you can decide if it's a move you want in your repertoire or not. Similarly, Bj's hammer while he's using this move is actually pretty good if you can get the timing right.

For edge guarding (which, like I said, usually just ends in a Down Smash) I'll use these:

Down Air - This has, on some occasions, just the slightest spike to it. Not enough that I would attempt it in a tournament or anything, but just for a CPU battle or something it's fun to mess with. It's spiked (and I use the term loosely, but it did double their fall speed basically) for me a few times when I've just barely tapped opponents with the tip and only with one hit. If you graze someone with the side and do some but not all of the hits then it can be used to gimp their jump/upward momentum or something and just leave them falling. If you hit with the last part of it though then it's going to knock them away in kind of a diagonal upward path. It's a good move for racking up damage and even a bit of keeping them away from the edge and stuff, but I wouldn't consider it a kill move.

Neutral Air - Good horizontal hitbox and it comes out quick so you can use it pretty fast on the ground with short hops and such too. Another one that I don't use for direct kills but I use a lot for spacing and such.

Down Tilt - Like the Down Smash I use this a lot while teetering on the edge to intercept people who are about to grab it. I use it when I know there's no chance of a Down Smash getting a kill (like if they're at 30% or something) but I want to get some damage while keeping my Down Smash fresh. This also comes out pretty quick so on the ground I'll use it as a punish, similar to the jab combo.

And these moves I feel you should be careful with:

Side Smash - This is a strong move and if you're in a situation where you're 90% sure you can catch a falling opponent with it then go for it, but I wouldn't advise throwing this out randomly. It's rather slow and if you miss you're wiiiiiiiide open.

Up Tilt - This is actually a pretty good move for when someone is above you. It's quick and can combo a bit early on. But the hit box is kind of deceptive. I've had people standing directly in front of me and watched this move whiff over their head. It seems very situational to me.

Dash Attack - This is a decent move for wracking up damage and catching people as they're about to land. If you can catch someone off guard with it it works nicely, but use it sparingly cause it can very very easily be blocked and punished.

Bowser Jr is currently my favorite character in the game and I actually haven't lost with him yet in For Glory 1v1s. You just have to adapt to your opponent. For instance my Down Smash on the ledge kill probably won't work against someone like ROB who will just recover a mile above your head, but repeatedly jumping off the stage and knocking him away from it is a breeze. I hope this helps you at least a little though!

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
1. Usmash
2. Uair (yes this kills when you're high on the stage, pretty early as well)
3. Bair
4. Upb/hammer
5. Dsmash (very punishable though I prefer usmash.

Honestly I have no problems killing with this character. I feel like people are exaggerating. I have more problems with coming in against characters like Rosalina/Zss and the fact that he has almost no fast moves that hit behind him. So he has a hard time with rollers.

T-block

B2B TST
I get most of my kills with off-stage f-air or b-air... usually they're put off stage by f-tilt. Against tall characters u-smash is solid as well.

I'm gonna have to play around with some of the up-b stuff I'm reading in this thread... definitely liking the idea.

MarcheR

Smash Rookie
NNID
mars
3DS FC
1177-7044-9396
the last hit of fsmash and dash attack at high percentage are reliable kill moves for me, though fsmash is punishable if they shield perfectly/roll. I try not to use upB as an attack unless it can make a stage bounce kill, being vulnerable is too dangerous imo. Uair kills at higher ranges but best to not use it outside of assured kills, jr has a hard time landing it without surprise factor.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
Up B is my preferred kill move. It's actually not that difficult to land, you just gotta keep from spamming it because getting hit without your car is trouble.
I mostly use it offstage to combat enemies recovering low, or I use it while an enemy's above me and go for the hammer kill. Which, might I add, is REALLY satisfying to land.

Edit: Oh yeah, kart jump into Up B is a thing.

Last edited:

Exegguter

Smash Lord
Fsmash is terrible imo, only good for people that airdodge/roll into you but even then it's not reliable.

Btw Bowser Jr. is the 6th heaviest character in this game (tied with Charizard). So people will have a hard time killing us as well. :)

Last edited:

T-block

B2B TST
I agree f-smash is pretty bad... might find some way to land it as we refine our game, but for now the spacing required to land the KO hit seems too precise to be reliable.

MisterVisceral

Smash Cadet
NNID
mistervisceral
3DS FC
3153-4184-3244
I've been using the pummel a few times, and the finishing hit on that thing has some nice knockback. if you land the pummel right you'll run up their % as well.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
I've been using the pummel a few times, and the finishing hit on that thing has some nice knockback. if you land the pummel right you'll run up their % as well.
I like his jab, but it's pretty easy to DI out of, so I've found that ending it sooner rather than later works better. Losing out on some % is a lot better than getting punished while you're unleashing your fists of fury on the air.

Shuckle89

Smash Apprentice
His smashes are decent but not that great. They somewhat lack range and damage. UpB can kill, but, you've got to be very careful. An upB near ledge can result in an insta suicide because getting hit while at it means you can't do anything anymore and just die.

Personally, I like to use pretty much anything to push them off stage and then chase them with fAirs. Thanks to it's side B he has practically unlimited horizontal recovery. Just make sure you don't get too deep because his vertical recovery isn't that fantastic.

JipC

Smash Journeyman
Fair and Bair. One of them in particular (I honestly forget which one, I think fair?) stays out long enough to be a good edge-guarding move and to keep them off stage in general. And I think Bair is similar to fair except doesnt stay out as long but it's much stronger. Learn the timing of it though because there's a little bit of startup on it (not enough to hamper it, but it's there)
I've killed with upsmash a few times before too so there's also that, but they have to be really high%.
And his jab finisher is surprisingly strong, I dont know about killing but it would definetly be good for knocking people off-stage, maybe setting up for some fair/bair edge-guards.
I've found his Down Smash to be a pretty quick and reliable move. His Fair and Bair aren't too bad, either.
It covers rolls pretty decently, but be prepared to get punished if your read fails. Probably shouldn't be too risky with it at high percents.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I think we're just going to have to learn it's hard to KO with Junior until high percentages. Your bairs and fairs are strong, but they just don't launch well enough until well past 100%. As another user said, you can't even really go deep in the air with it to try and extend it's launch because our recovery isn't the strongest.

I think once you get them in those high percentages, rather than try and gimp them, you should play defensively with things like the cannonball, mecha-koopas, and the Up-B to ledgeguard. We have a pretty solid kit for a wall of pain strategy, if not maybe the jumps.

So far, my best luck has been the clown car into Up-B into hammer aerial. Opting to spin out instead also makes for fantastic mind games.

Clavaat

Smash Cadet
The hammer attacks (post Up-B) seem incredibly strong. I'm still figuring out the exact hit box of it, it's kind of strange. I don't think a lot of people expect it online haha

T-block

B2B TST
Up-b > Hammer as an aerial chase is the truth. I was using it today and wow x.x

I also had success with side-b > spinout off a tech chase. I got several kills using f-tilt at the ~110% range, chasing after them with side-b, and then spinning out to catch the roll away. The nice thing about it is if they catch on and start rolling towards you, you can jump backwards out of side-b early and land an aerial.

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
My biggest concern with my current Up+B kills is that i'm getting them mostly because people aren't aware of it's properties, not because i'm landing it well. It seems like it's going to be extremely hard to setup the kart kill in anything but an edgeguard from below scenario as it's so very telegraphed. The hammer at least has an awesome hitbox.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Im hearing a lot of "fsmash is bad" but has anyone tried it when people are near ledges? I like to just charge it when people are recovering and hope they run into it.

(maybe not the best of plans...)

Eji1700

Smash Apprentice
Im hearing a lot of "fsmash is bad" but has anyone tried it when people are near ledges? I like to just charge it when people are recovering and hope they run into it.

My only issue is that the hitbox is awkward, and sometimes they fall out of it before the final hit, and then you get punished, so i just try to avoid it all together.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
F smash kills WAY too early to not try to go for it here and there.

I don't pivot yet but it obviously lends itself to work well with f smash against incoming approaches.

I mean, there is no reliable setup for fsmash at this point, so mediocre applications are good enough considering the reward.

Exegguter

Smash Lord

I am withdrawing my statement, fsmash is deff not bad if you predict a roll/bad recovery option. Just use it at range and they wont be able to DI out of it.

Kit Cal-N

Smash Ace
I don't know what you guys are talking about.
Ain't that the truth. Luckily for us, I believe our Fair hammer has some coverage below and behind us as well. And it has a bit of priority, too.
There's only one hammer attack. It doesn't matter what direction you hold. It will swing from his 7'o'lock to his 3'o'clock

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
I don't know what you guys are talking about.

There's only one hammer attack. It doesn't matter what direction you hold. It will swing from his 7'o'lock to his 3'o'clock
No, his uair is a hammer swing as well. It's a lot worse, though. Not nearly as wide of a swing and much lower launching power.

B!ggad

Smash Apprentice
He's saying there's only one hammer swing attack while he's in his up b state, no matter what direction you press :)

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
He's saying there's only one hammer swing attack while he's in his up b state, no matter what direction you press :)
Ah, this is true. I think. Doesn't he swing it high when your opponent is overhead and low when they are beneath you? Though you can't control it.

Lilfut

Smash Ace
NNID
slothfuLunchmeat
3DS FC
3308-5213-5534
I think it's just a nair hitbox, where it just sorta hits anywhere right next to you.

Pegashi

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4055-4975-1398
If you can get your opponent off the stage, I find that Jr. has an INCREDIBLY strong edge guarding game. You can use your down B to limit your opponent's recovery options, charge your standard B and time a cannonball, jump off and give your opponent a nair, fair, or bair, or even use your up B to cover the ledge just before your opponent can grab it.

dawgbowl

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3239-2803-2467
Most of my kills seem to come from Up+B cart explosions... maybe that's all I go for. #style

I like his fsmash, but you'll find out quickly if your opponent can SDI out of it... and if they can it should be removed from your arsenal for that match. Upsmash is really my other go to.

What's everyone's thoughts on Down+B? I abuse it if I smash them off the stage and they are returning, offers so many setups and makes them guess. Also, on several occasions I've had them walk back in to my opponent as they grab me to break the grab. It's been a huge tool for me in glory. Even just returning to stage above them, plopping one on top of them and fast falling with a fair or immediate grab.

This character is too much fun...

Top Bottom