• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you phase through a platform with your sheild up?

EmuKiller

Smash Ace
EmuKiller?! More like... FREEmuKiller!!!!!!
Hey all,

So there was some "advanced technique" I was told today where if you're running on a platform, you can quickly phase through it by hitting shield and doing a "quarter circle forward" motion, rotating the analog stick quickly from down to forward.

I then realized that WAY before 2012 you could phase through a platform with your shield up, and I was wondering what the method was for doing it quickly instead of side-stepping/spot-dodging.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
its not useless.
It has a few practical uses, such as dropping through a platform out of run. And escaping shield pressure, which is nice.

NNID
dansalvato
Regular shield dropping is much more useful than doing it out of a run. It's a great way to escape shield pressure, from what I've experienced.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Regular shield dropping is much more useful than doing it out of a run. It's a great way to escape shield pressure, from what I've experienced.
They are both extremely useful. There's way too much that's been unexplored with both to call either more or less useful than the other. It's also largely character dependent.

Mahie

Smash Lord
And to my knowledge, the only way to perform this is to tilt the stick down with some very precise timing/strength.

More than just shield angling, less than spot dodging.

NNID
dansalvato
It's still one of the most precise techniques isn't it? I didn't say it was impossible though :p
That's arguable, considering it's a simple matter of tilting the control stick rather than inputting a button combination or achieving pixel-perfect spacing. I would imagine with a bit of practice, it would become rather easy, as it is with many of the advanced techniques in Melee.

Ledge cancelling is one of the most precise techniques I can think of.

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
Messed around with this yesterday. It seems like I could fastfall through a platform out of a run just as fast, if not faster, than shield dropping out of a run.

Anyone know what the frame data difference is? No doubt regular shielddropping is useful, but what applications would one have out of a run as opposed to just fastfalling through the plat?

:phone:

NNID
dansalvato
Messed around with this yesterday. It seems like I could fastfall through a platform out of a run just as fast, if not faster, than shield dropping out of a run.

Anyone know what the frame data difference is? No doubt regular shielddropping is useful, but what applications would one have out of a run as opposed to just fastfalling through the plat?
It's kind of pushing it, but considering you'd be doing so to avoid shield pressure, you'd time it to block a potential attack before dropping through the platform for the extra few frames of protection. I honestly don't think it's very useful, but that's the one scenario I can come up with.

stelzig

Smash Lord
^Even if you do it slower than jumping and FFing through or something else, it doesn't mean it isn't useful, because your opponent cannot SEE you're doing it before the character actually drops through. Definitely still useful to just get out of shields when on platforms, even if you aren't being straight up shieldpressured.

You can also be ready for it before even going on the platform and you will be able to do it instantly after you waveland for instance - which is slightly useful since it is faster than just dropping through the platform (and actually noticeable, which surprised me, since it's like 2 frames vs. 4)

As for the running thing, you can buffer it. I'm really bad at that though so I can't comment much on it.

Before playing around with it against people, I also had trouble seeing it being useful at all, but I have definitely changed my mind. When people get used to me using it, the usefulness will probably drop, but it isn't useless.

Edit: Just re-read your post and can see I got it wrong the first time... Well just read the buffer part then. Your shield should not even really come up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQA7vbttZkQ

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
No one ever said it was useless.

When I say 'fastfall out of run thru plat', I mean tapping down, down. Not jumping and then fastfalling through.

I like your idea about use after a waveland, though this can also be done with a regular shielddrop, unless I am misunderstanding what you mean.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Yeah it would just be a normal shielddrop after wavelanding obviously. Except for the buffer part, I really just talked about regular shielddropping.

Anyway, you can't crouch during the initial dashing animation, but you can shield. If you use a character with a short dash, then you can drop through that way (though it is still slower), but some characters (fox, falcon, marth for good characters I guess) can't.

ps. I was positive, you meant fastfalling out of a jump - what you're describing now isn't really fastfalling. :p

Beat!

Smash Master
Crouching and then falling through VS shield dropping

Snail with broken limbs VS Thrust SSC

Yeah

Take a pick

Superspright

Smash Lord
It's the same strength as crouching on a platform. Try to crouch quickly without falling through for shielddrop practice. I can do it now on the reg. It's very useful with Yoshi, but can help other characters like Ganon get away from shield pressure and he can sweep the platform with uair after the drop.

SnakeMan

Smash Cadet
Yea I forgot that you cant crouch during the first part of a dash. I was testing this on the hyrule platform (bcuz of its large amount of running room) and didnt try the shieldrop outta dash immediately.

Now that I did, I can see that this BOSS.
Gives me way quicker and more versatile movement on platforms. Things like dd>insta shieldrop lets you have one more quick option to get off of plats if need be.

Acryte

Smash Ace
No no no... Not shield drop, he talkin bout PHASING. you know, that 2012 ****. Somethin where you disappear and then reappear under the plat Like a mewtwo airdodge or shiek's up-B. Y'all don't know bout that.

Top Bottom