• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you play a good diddy >_>

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Alright, for the first time I have played a diddy kong and I have so much trouble =/. The main thing that is giving me problems is his insane pressure game. dolphin slash out of shiled worked for a while, but eventually they just start waiting for it. I also have some trouble picking up nanas because its difficult to get close enough to pick it up amd to not trip while diddy kong is close. Any tips for that? Also, what should I ban / counter pick? Rain bow cruise worked very well, but are there any other stages? TY in advance :)

OmegaXF

Smash Ace
Don't worry about the banana. You grabbing and throwing it is a waste of time. He has such an easier time picking it up than you will ever have. Most Diddys will throw the banana and dash attack right afterwards. Just grab him during the beginning of the attack. You'll take damage but will grab him in the process. Places with platforms work out as they give you an advantage and your opponent has to make sure not to smash the banana out otherwise it'll be on the edge. Not much info I can really provide to you.

IDK

Smash Lord
diddys don't like battlefield. im a diddy. i hate battlefield. its the platforms. relieves pressure on you. dont dash attack his bananas on the ground. if you don't play as diddy you're probably not as good with them as he is, so ignore them. if you're like me and i play diddy, with other people, them using bananas helps me. approaching with dash attacks will catch the banana. best use for you would probably be just throwing them away if you don't learn to use them. that's originally why i picked diddy... then i liked him so kept playing and got good.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
1.N-Airs also catch Bananas
2. his smashes can be punished
3.Dancing blade.
4.Counter his recoverly

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
diddys don't like battlefield. im a diddy. i hate battlefield. its the platforms. relieves pressure on you. dont dash attack his bananas on the ground. if you don't play as diddy you're probably not as good with them as he is, so ignore them. if you're like me and i play diddy, with other people, them using bananas helps me. approaching with dash attacks will catch the banana. best use for you would probably be just throwing them away if you don't learn to use them. that's originally why i picked diddy... then i liked him so kept playing and got good.
Really? the diddy i played counter picked battle field lol.

IDK

Smash Lord
wow thats weird. oh and btw jino: not just nair catches it. any aerial does. so does air dodge. anyway on battlefield, when bananas hit you, they bounce up to the platforms. also if you were marth it's probably one of your best stages. that really makes no sense.

VietGeek

Smash Hero
If you knew how to glide throw the bananas then you can develop a good approach with them.
Yup, reverse glidetoss to Fsmash covers like a 3rd of Final Destination.

Anyway, the problem with Diddy is that he racks up damage easily. Glidetossing bananas at you, to dash attack to another glidetoss gets you up in the percents easily. He's forcing you to get offstage, as he knows that you aren't one of those characters with amazing options at the ledge. From there he'll try to gimp you. It's simple right? But it works.

His recovery is not really easily gimped as you may think. A good Diddy will almost never get gimped to be honest.

Also, if you Counter his Up+B, it blows up in your face to if you aren't spaced far away enough from it. So be careful.

Anyway, you're kinda forced to an aerial approach here. You can SHAD airdodge sometimes and it works well as it can catch bananas and you can avoid a follow-up or two if you don't overdo it and force the Diddy player to out-predict you. But for the most part, playing Melee Marth against Diddy isn't out of the question. You'll be doing a lot of aerials that's for sure. At later percents, a fresh Fsmash even untipped gives you some breathing room and a chance to edgeguard.

As for Dancing Blade, if he manages to shield it, it seems Side, Neutral/Down, Down, Up stabs through his shield. I'll have to do more testing. If it's tipped, you can stop at the first one and get out. If you roll though, chances are he'll chase you. It's a prediction game, your best option theoretically might not be the one you would want to take.

The problem I have with pro Diddy players is that it's so hard to seize back control of the stage. They read you as well as you try to read them (well, better actually), but they have some many options with the bananas and lagless attacks; more than you. Than don't even have to try to kill you. They rack up damage so well that you'll die eventually anyway. It's frustrating, and it's hard to kill a good Diddy since you have no safe-on-block kill moves.

OmegaXF

Smash Ace

Anyway, the problem with Diddy is that he racks up damage easily. Glidetossing bananas at you, to dash attack to another glidetoss gets you up in the percents easily. He's forcing you to get offstage, as he knows that you aren't one of those characters with amazing options at the ledge. From there he'll try to gimp you. It's simple right? But it works.

His recovery is not really easily gimped as you may think. A good Diddy will almost never get gimped to be honest.

Also, if you Counter his Up+B, it blows up in your face to if you aren't spaced far away enough from it. So be careful.

Anyway, you're kinda forced to an aerial approach here. You can SHAD airdodge sometimes and it works well as it can catch bananas and you can avoid a follow-up or two if you don't overdo it and force the Diddy player to out-predict you. But for the most part, playing Melee Marth against Diddy isn't out of the question. You'll be doing a lot of aerials that's for sure. At later percents, a fresh Fsmash even untipped gives you some breathing room and a chance to edgeguard.

As for Dancing Blade, if he manages to shield it, it seems Side, Neutral/Down, Down, Up stabs through his shield. I'll have to do more testing. If it's tipped, you can stop at the first one and get out. If you roll though, chances are he'll chase you. It's a prediction game, your best option theoretically might not be the one you would want to take.

The problem I have with pro Diddy players is that it's so hard to seize back control of the stage. They read you as well as you try to read them (well, better actually), but they have some many options with the bananas and lagless attacks; more than you. Than don't even have to try to kill you. They rack up damage so well that you'll die eventually anyway. It's frustrating, and it's hard to kill a good Diddy since you have no safe-on-block kill moves.
A mouth full of knowledge lol

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
The only advice i have is to take advantage of ur sword and its range and your speed to dominate diddy. If he cant reach u, then he cant beat u. Ignore the bananana mostly and you should do fine. Just treat them like motion sensor bombs and avoid them.

takeurlife2

Smash Ace
First of all, i can't play a diddy without either muting the tv or covering the sound with something else. Just a fun fact, i can't stand his monkey screeches lol.

My only advice on fighting him on flatland is to ignore the nanners unless you have allot of time to pick one up. Also, don't let them overwhelm you, they only hit like 4.

As for good counterpicks, i HIGHLY recommend Brinstar. Not only can you easily avoid his banana pressure with the platforms and uneven ground, but Diddy is a light character. The acid will most likely give him some extra damage as he will try his banana game and get burned for it, therefore letting you kill with either a usmash, utilt, or uair fairly easily. Hell, even tipper fair or normal fsmash would kill him at around 100%. But wait, there's more! Brinstar is a stage built for aerial combat, and guess who dominates this matchup in the air? =)

Brinstar overall is a good *** Marth stage...

Megavitamins

Smash Champion

Thanks for the reply :). I'll definetly try this out. I just thought, since you can grab a nana with air dodge, I can sh air dodge to grab a nana AND get some breathing space at the same time :chuckle:

The_Marth_Madness

Smash Journeyman
One thing you can try is short hop forward air to catch the bannana, then not touching the ground. You'll catch the bannana but still be able to do your aerials without throwing the bannana until you touch the ground. If he has two nanners to throw, avoid the first, then do the Fair catching cause he can hit you with the second one while you're lagging from the Fair. Make sure you're DIing back while doing this to avoid any attack he may do after the glide toss. After you have both bannanas on your side of the stage, keep him away from them. Keep pressure on him so he'll never have time to pull out another one without being punished. He doesn't need bannanas to win, but without them, you have the advantage.

IDK

Smash Lord
First of all, i can't play a diddy without either muting the tv or covering the sound with something else. Just a fun fact, i can't stand his monkey screeches lol.

My only advice on fighting him on flatland is to ignore the nanners unless you have allot of time to pick one up. Also, don't let them overwhelm you, they only hit like 4.

As for good counterpicks, i HIGHLY recommend Brinstar. Not only can you easily avoid his banana pressure with the platforms and uneven ground, but Diddy is a light character. The acid will most likely give him some extra damage as he will try his banana game and get burned for it, therefore letting you kill with either a usmash, utilt, or uair fairly easily. Hell, even tipper fair or normal fsmash would kill him at around 100%. But wait, there's more! Brinstar is a stage built for aerial combat, and guess who dominates this matchup in the air? =)

Brinstar overall is a good *** Marth stage...
i agree. oh and once at a tourney someone said it sounded like a monkey having an orgasm so they muted the tv. wasn't fun. oh, and it's a little hard to beat him with speed. he's a fast character.

jinofcoolnes

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is a physically impossible match-up for Marth to win. Period.
With the sound on.

Tho my most annonying friend plays diddy.He picks purple color diddy and call him the Laker's, yells BOOM *****!!! each time he hit's some one with a smash and coupled with that, his laugh is worst then Diddys.....

Top Bottom