• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU play Lucario?

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
If I'm lazy my moveset is pretty much f-smash, f-air and Aura Sphere with Spot Dodges, Rolls, jumps and air dodges with the occassional grab tapped in. The funny thing is, it actually works against some people.

If I'm not lazy then I'll focus on more grabbing, up tilt, all aerials, spacing with f-smash and trying to charge many Aura Spheres whenever I can, and approaching without attacking, and just dodging whatever and punishing.

Occasionally depending on the opponent, I'll start adding in charged down smashes (predicting rolls), or up smashes (predicting landings) and I'll use the IASA frames of f-smash to f-tilt right after if I don't have a fully charged sphere.

Col. Stauffenberg

Smash Lord
I love my aerials. With a select few exceptions (Like Gay Man Watch/Meat Knight), I like to take my opponent into the air every chance I get. On the ground, I keep my opponent off balance with aura sphere, space with fsmash when I'm on the defensive and tend to use ftilt more offensively. I tend not to be too aggressive when edgeguarding, although aura sphere and bair's enormous range mean I don't have to be.

My preferred damage racked is dair, my preferred kill move is fsmash. Although lately I've been getting a lot of surprise vertical KOs with usmash and uair.

aflyinglamppost

Smash Cadet
Zanarkand, but sometimes in Hollow Bastien
i just play. dodge, fight, attack, evade. i do usually make a full aura sphere when i kill someone or have the time to, or i do my fighter stance. oh well, i know i wasn't much of a help, actually i wasnt a help at all, so power up your aura sphere when you kill someone. know i helped :)

Milln

Smash Champion
Yes this thread lingers about just as long as lucarios up smash aura :p
I did some testing and I found out that, if you thrust up your hand and yell out "HURRRRRGGGHH" at the exact instant Lucario does, the hitbox not only stays out for the rest of the match (like Fsmash does) it actually carries over to the next match of the set!

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
I did some testing and I found out that, if you thrust up your hand and yell out "HURRRRRGGGHH" at the exact instant Lucario does, the hitbox not only stays out for the rest of the match (like Fsmash does) it actually carries over to the next match of the set!
joking much?

i have changed my strategy...
right now i like to let my opponent deal out about ~50-70%(depending on when they can KO me) while also dishing out my own blows. after that mark i explode on them and proceed to aurafy them

Pentaoku

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna test this.

Bluemoon-san

Smash Rookie
not to be a big show off but...
id say im a pretty good lucario player ;3
i usually do the counter to defend myself and i cling onto walls to keep me from dieing :3
and the rest of the moves.....
the aura sphere i usually use when im at like say....... 200% damage
and no joke lucario DOES get stronger depending on the damage he has :3

G-Beast

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4442-0111-1914
im having trouble deciding wether your serious or if thats a joke post... lol
it sucks that Lucario is edgehogged easily. but then again, the last person that tried to edge hog me got a stage spike from a Aura Sphere ^^

Milln

Smash Champion
im having trouble deciding wether your serious or if thats a joke post... lol
it sucks that Lucario is edgehogged easily. but then again, the last person that tried to edge hog me got a stage spike from a Aura Sphere ^^
Of course it's serious. I found it while being silly one night.

Aura User

Smash Rookie
I start of with aura sphere then charge at the other play. Jump then use down aerial and him from behind. Afetr that just keep jumping behind the other guy when he tries to hit me.

galisaa

Smash Rookie
How I play Lucario? Through out the match I use AS. Oddly charging enough for a decent knock back at 0%-0% then release. Very easy to douge or jump and I dont have any combo waiting for them. when they get close I try to interupt their attacks with mine or side step out of them.

I dont have any combos/string yet but I'm currently practising the wall clings :)
Because of this my oppents get 150-200% dmg and 50-100% myself. It basicly comes down to 1 shot kills with smashs.

I've played Brawl about 2weeks and 1v1 no item lv9 comp, 3 stock, nutral map? (what does the maps stand for?)
It can go either way. Most of the time I have a win with 30-70% left on my last stock.

tedward2000

Smash Champion
@Galisaa

Welcome to the Lucario Boards!!
So, yea its a cool place, we do things...like chilling and stuff.
but make your safe at home, there are a few things we dont like and if you do it we'll (I'll) tell you.

So Enjoy yourself!!
-t2

LordoftheMorning

Smash Champion
I spam Dthrow > Fair > Nair combo. It's so fun!:chuckle:

I make it a habit of never charging aura spheres to full. If someone shield rolls behind me I start up a 3/4 finished charge and smoke 'em. Also very fun.

ReRead the lucario guide thingy and watch the inner fires. I found that helps.

Tilts are probably something a Lucario should use a lot but sadly I do not. :( Still working on that part

Aura Power

Smash Apprentice
MO (small town sry, can't tell you exactly where)
Depends on the char I'm fighting, I pick on weaknesses. I do not know if I'm good however. Kinda the best brawler around where I am, but no1 plays competetively.

Anyways I seek a weakness to chain grab heavyweights then proceed with an air assault

for light chars BAS spammage

I pick on weaknesses when their damage gets up, also I like to punish predictable opponents with double team

tedward2000

Smash Champion
I can't play lucario,
Why in the world would I play someone so awesome, so amazing, that he's entire existence makes life worth living??

It makes no sense, im just not qualified for the ontaking of awesomeness.

Nor can I stand to bear and be apart of community that is so chill and "familynessful" with its members and has its own t-shirt, chatroom and on going jokes is impossible for me in every way.

I just cannot.

(Pure Sarcasm)

But if anyone else cannot answer all of this, then you are truly not a lucario.
-t2

Zero_Gamer

Smash Master
When I fight, I put my eyes on my opponent. I almost never even take a glimpse at Lucario because I know where I am and I know what I'm doing, why should I need to see it? To marvel at his Lucario-ness

As for my fighting style, I like to try to get into my opponent's head with Lucario's tricky tactics, usually creating a very fast paced sort of feel that forces the opponent to think and act quicker, thus making more mistakes (a common one being getting off the edge too quickly and I take advantage of that).

I am a very aggressive fighter, but once you've created the feel of a fast pace, it is difficult to slow down, so I may suddenly shift to defense and then shift back to offense at another point, giving an erratic change of pace.

Lucario is a priority hog; some moves don't even interact with an opponent's attacks (Fsmash, Bair?, Dair? [Aura part]) It is very easy to switch from one strategy to another.

Prediction, pacing, thinking: A general description for a generally successful mindset.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
You need more practice with it then. It can KO at low %'s, you just have to predict what they're about to do. It's easier to pull off vs. some characters (like Marth) though. Ike's counter is horrific, Double Team is much better than that!
do you have any idea how long ranged ikes counter is???

Hells Bane

Smash Rookie
For me it depends on who i am fighting. If i am fighting someone who doesn't have any projectiles like metaknight ill use an uncharged aurasphere and since mk is also dominant in the air ill try to stay on the ground and my tilts way more than my aerials. If im fighting someone who doesnt really have that dominant of an air game then i will use my aeriels A LOT. throw in a neutral a and some grabs for combo starters and thats how i play.
nm
Btw First Post XD

Milln

Smash Champion
For me it depends on who i am fighting. If i am fighting someone who doesn't have any projectiles like metaknight ill use an uncharged aurasphere and since mk is also dominant in the air ill try to stay on the ground and my tilts way more than my aerials. If im fighting someone who doesnt really have that dominant of an air game then i will use my aeriels A LOT. throw in a neutral a and some grabs for combo starters and thats how i play.

Btw First Post XD
Teh welcomes to teh boardz. <3

tedward2000

Smash Champion
Heyo!
Welcome to the boards Hells Bane!! So yea, I'm tedward.

Its a great place, these boards, and I'm sure if you stick around, you'll come to love it too.
Its not like the other boards, cause we're better then them, (Jks we love you guys too).

Um.. a few things, don't flame in here, we dont like it, there isnt a lot of it, but if you do we'll be sure to tell you.
We spam, ( or generate awesome, either or) but its not like the same word x50 spam, its more off topic, which is just fine.
So enjoy yourself!!
-t2

Neogen

Smash Rookie
I may have one of the most unorthadox Lucario styles. I like basic a-a-force palm comboes, and mix all 3 smashes. Up-tilts, but not as much as I should. I use f-air a lot, but d-air a lot more. Now for the unorthadox part. I almost NEVER use aura spheres. I sometimes use it when I realize I haven't used it yet (probably 1 stock in with high percents)

Result

Smash Rookie
Defensive Punishment.

I think my play-style most accurately reflects a defensive one.

Early game I use lots of Utilt, shield/grabs, uncharged aura bombs and F-Airs -> whatever. I try to reframe from smashes at this point in the game, they come out far to slow and are gimped in power compared to later match when aura pumps them up. I like to force them to come to me with aura sphere, as they charge in meet them with maybe a high priority Fair to the face or shield their attack opening them up to a hit or 2 from you. Dair is amazing, many players make it a habit to attack from the bottom as most characters do not have many options there, lure them into it, set your self up for what your opponent sees as a opportunity to Usmash, Uair or whatever. I find most players just cant resist going for that golden opportunity to juggle, sadly for them though however, Lucero’s Dair is more then likely going to blast straight through whatever they got (their are a few exemptions however of course.. Zelda's Uair/Usmash is just one I know of)..

As we enter mid-game and Lucario's aura is quite a bit stronger, KOs becomes much easier to score. Now is the time to have aura spheres charged and seek out those openings to connect an Fsmash. Keep your aura sphere charged and keep on the move, dodge right and left from shield to avoid your opponent, punishing them occasionally with short hop aerials or jab-jab-force palm combos, however keep your game making sure to keep your opponent chasing you.

This is when you go for the kill, which Lucario is provided with a few different options to choose from.

Switch from evasion to more punishment focused, as your frustrated opponent is probably trying desperately to make some sort of real contact on this pesky evasive Lucario it's likely he will become more reckless and offenive in mindset, picking up on your preference to evade rather then attempt a stronger attack then his own.

Marth for example, Marth runs in going for a dash attack, expecting you to dodge or maybe shield, surprise him with an Fsmash from a distanced to connect far before Marth's attack is executed and watch as an out-smarted Marth and runs head first into it's long range tip flying to his demise.

Another option for the kill is Double-team, follow as plan from before and stay for the most part on the run, as a kill focused Marth looks for his opening for a nice Fsmash, toy around a bit, then give him his opportunity, dodge right into his sweet spot and hit that down-B double team, chances are he'll take the chance to send you flying with no second thought, however once again out-smarted by mind games, Marth will be sent flying at the smash from a double team hits him.

While I’m on the subject here is a few other tactics I find helpful in my game.

Going off the edge to hit a (for example) Fox attempting to recover with foxfire and hitting him with a quick Fair or Nair if you can will often push him far enough from the edge to KO. Knowing to intercept opponents off the side of the stage is an excellent skill to possess as Lucario and as you get better with it, you'll begin to see many low percent KOs.

Learn to be able to use your tilt's well, it took me a while to do them reliably with out accidentally doing a smash attack instead. Lucario doesn’t have much for speed on the ground and his tilts make up allot of if, you'll benefit an incredible amount training your self to know the right time to use them rather then smashes. For a long time I played default controls, then switched to having control stick jumping off and found it made an amazing difference for anyone who doesn’t already play with it off.

Alus

Smash Champion
NNID
Starsauce
3DS FC
5327-1023-2754
i dont really play lucario my lucario pretty much does everything himself...i would be thinking About Project Powder and then you see me preform a 12 hit to Fsmash...

its when im recovering when i skrew up... =_=

tedward2000

Smash Champion
(Theres another one, sweet!)

Welcome to the boards Result!
So yea, just look above your post a few, and the same thing that I'm telling Hells Bane, goes to the same for you.
Have fun, dont be a flamer, blaa blaa blaa, we're awesome.
=)
-t2

culexus・wau

Purchased premium only to change name ><
when we both started brawl me & my friend took 2 different paths & philosophies:
My Friend took The Classic "Don't Get hit" Approach to smash. I took a cruder path.. "Fsmash yay :D"
:3 I liked Luc from the start. and his Amazing Fsmash just made things great. I like Strong Smashes
with Start-up lag & Range. lucarios has a slight start-up and a great range with low ending lag. epic.
if ya don't have a good Fsmash your not worthy of my use D:<

if theres one thing I <3 about Smash other then Fsmash it's Teh Reversal B/Pseudo stick.
This Thing Saved my *** countless times. Along with Dair it makes Lucarios get back to the ground
game easy as pie :D

but on to topic - 3-:
I change my style to match-up the opponent. but whatever the person is one thing stays the same.
I like to make my opponents say "WTF?" a lot :3 I Pseudo, I Dair, I ES2, I do weird aerial patterns,
I FP Grab and weird moments,I abuse BAS like hell. limiting there options and keeping them on the edge is what I do. Along with mindgaming into that Sweet,Sweet, Fsmash KO =D

but you could say my WORST opponents are the ones that are un-phased by my tactics and remain
calm and cold. makes Lucario dittos hard for me lolz PX but I still <3 Pseudos, Dair, & Fsmash

then at the end if I win. I'm like:

And dats how I roll =3

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
everyone needs to tilt more
his tilts ****, the more i play lucario, the better my tilting with all of my characters gets. the fact that down and up tilt both hit behind you is amazing

my lucario is straight **** when he gets angry.
SH fair has like 15 legit options to do out of it
down air to SH f air again
neutral to SH f air again
n air to jab
empty land to jab
or up tilt
or down tilt
or grab
or f- air
or force palm
or even shield or spot dodge!!
and theres still...
any of the above options when behind the opponent
if you can weave all of these approaches together while reading your opponent. its rediculous.
i took the 6th ranked guy in my city from 0-70 and than broke his shield for the free kill in a tournament doing that. like, SH hop f air is the truth. believe that.

Result

Smash Rookie
Thanks Ted :)

I've been a reader for some time now, I guess I was just feeling particular chatty tonight and decided to post my take. Anyways you'll probably here me from time to time on this as well as the Zero Suit Samus board as I know I have much to learn on both my characters Zss and Lucario.

Top Bottom