• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you practice dash dancing?

ADHD

Smash Hero
I'm dead serious, I can dash dance for a while but later on after getting used to it, I just suck at it all of the sudden.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
First you start by looking at your control stick and tapping side to side while trying to find a rhythm, then you look up and try it. Oh BTW it is much harder to start on slow mode as your rhythm won't work under normal circumstances.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
First you spend 15 minutes trying to do it consistently. Then you realize that it doesn't move you anywhere and thus is absolutely useless for spacing. Then you realize it's giving you a chance of tripping every single time you mash back and forth...

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
Make sure the controller you're using has an analog stick that is well maintained, I just switched from the cube controller that I used for Melee for three years to a brand new one ($26.00 at Gamestop for a tourney legal first party controller) and dash dancing became alot easier because the stick reacted the way it was supposed to. Remember that dash dancing is to be used in quick bursts...just enough to make your opponent prep for your dash attack, dash grab, or whatever they happen to think you're going to do. Your dash dance will throw their timing off. As far as practicing it, just go into practice and get the timing down, or do it in between your opponents stocks to show off your 1337 dash dancing skillz (or lack thereof)...but I can't stress enough how much a fresh analog stick helps.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
why would you want to dash dance in brawl in the first place...its practically useless.

Slayers8anFTW

Smash Rookie
I've managed to work dash dancing into my game fairly well...it depends on your playstyle...as a defensive mindgame it's almost invaluable to me. I guess the next thing you're gonna tell me is that walking is useless :p

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
First you spend 15 minutes trying to do it consistently. Then you realize that it doesn't move you anywhere and thus is absolutely useless for spacing. Then you realize it's giving you a chance of tripping every single time you mash back and forth...
I lol'ed.

Good shiz, Tyr.

Smooth Criminal

acv

Smash Journeyman
try in training mode with the speed to1/4.once you get that try it with the speed to 1/2 then to 2/3 and finally to normal speed.

1HKO

Smash Apprentice
1/4 will just make it harder for you as it messes with your rhythm. try full speed, or spawn a bunny hat in 1/2 speed then you'll see what it is to dashdance and how truly (un)useful it is!

Bozen

Smash Apprentice
Thread should have been over at this. :laugh:

QUIVO

Smash Master
Dashdancing is kind of useless. I mean, I've dash danced in front of someone before trying to get them to guess when I was going to attack. Instead, I just got hit. You can't space with it, use it as a taunt or something.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
I have never once tripped while dash dancing. Maybe I'm obscenely lucky...?

storm92

Smash Ace
Eh, I never played Melee so I had to learn how to DD in Brawl too (which as I found out is much harder than was in Melee).
Like you I could never get it down at first, I'd end up falling off the stage because I would hit one way and my controller wouldn't react when I mashed to the otherside, but after a few days of practicing a few minutes at a time I got it.
All you basically have to do is get a good rhythm going after you start the initial frames of the dash, because the DD is super small in Brawl. After that you're set DD'ing until you trip. Just make sure to practice in regular speed.
But like everyone else was saying, DD'ing is only somewhat useful in Brawl, I usually only use it to show off after a stock kill. =D

Geist

Smash Master
lol don't dash dance in brawl.

Do that funky new pivot thingy. You know, where you get momentum back and forth and then you can dash either direction. I dont know... ._.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
lol why is this thread not dead yet. Dashdancing is completely useless in Brawl. In fact it's counterproductive. You don't move AND every time you mash the control stick you have a 1.3% (or something around there) of tripping.

And mindgames?
"Is he going to run to the left or is he going to run to the right? Maybe he'll trip? GAAH!!"
*runs off the edge of the stage for SD*

The point of dashdancing in Melee was that you could control spacing through varied approaches and retreats. Since you don't move while dashdancing in Brawl you can't do this.

In conclusion, no...just no. Dashdancing in Brawl is 100% useless except maybe for taunting. Thread over.

Vro

Smash Lord
I've managed to work dash dancing into my game fairly well...it depends on your playstyle...as a defensive mindgame it's almost invaluable to me.
Absolutely not. Dashing dancing provides very little room of movement and you can gain no distance. You increase your chance of tripping and limit your moveset to 'dash'

I guess the next thing you're gonna tell me is that walking is useless :p
Walking is very useful, you have your entire moveset open.

Top Bottom