• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you practice for tournaments?

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
I've been to one tournament, and was really surprised by the level of play. I want to get better, but, unfortunately, I don't know how to practice.

How do you practice for tournaments? I need suggestions for both singles and teams.

Ryuzenshu

Smash Rookie
im going to be in a tournament soon and im kinda wondering the same thing....if there s specific way to train for them??? and if ya want we can practice with each other, PM me if ya decide ya want to( im not very good tho^^; )

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Ehh.. just do what you normally do more often I guess.

Starwarrior27

Smash Apprentice
When you say SOLID practice, what am I supposed to practice against? Computers or humans? If Computers, what level?

5%tax

Smash Journeyman
If possible, try to enter the competitive scene with at least one other person who lives within short distance too you.

You'll be able to practice together, and neither one of you should ever be signifigantly better then the other. Always makes for good practice.

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
Play against other people, especially offline if you can. If you can't play people for whatever reason go to training mode and work on your techniques, reflexes, spacing, etc. Practice a good amount, more than a casual afternoon's worth.

Know your stages, especially counterpicks. Study your character(s) too, and their counter characters as well. Find out their weakness and know them. Practice bad match-ups, especially if the match-up is with someone popular in tournaments.

Basically, pull off a lot of smart practice and you should be more prepared ^_^

clowsui

Smash Legend
lol 5% is your name supposed to be a parody of 4% APR's?
Anyways I always found the best way to practice was just to study your stages, play with the best people you know and the most important one: study matches. I always think that while practicing is important in Brawl mindgames are much more important (though more limited than Melee's) and the only way to get good at mindgames without experience is just to study situations. Although there's obviously a base skill level it's better to watch people who are not that great because then you can just say "oh well, in this situation I would have done X rather than Y". If you see it a lot it's so much easier to implement it in your game; the only reason why I am able to bring the tourneygoing players in my area down to one stock and the only reason why I am decent at teams when I've been to zero majors and about three tournaments is because I've watched so many videos. It gets to the point where when you watch videos you know instinctively that a certain situation is bad and you just can't explain it to observers.

In every single sport and competitive game I think there's a basic level of observation that is necessary; when you're alone or when you're with people who don't push you to a certain level (like your friends, who you are most often to play with) you just can't reach the situations that you want to have in order to improve. That is, you won't reach the intense situation of incredible competition that allows you to apply new tactics and branch out. There's always tech skills that you can practice with your character(s) but that was more important in Melee; now you need to focus on characters and stages. So when you're playing with your friends, just pretend like you're at a tournament and insist on playing advanced slob picks every time so that you can at least get a feel for what's best for your performance.

Hope this helps

N M E

Smash Apprentice
If you have no friends :

0. don't play Wifi you'll get bad habbits from lag or so i've been told .
1. Go out and make some .
2. If they don't know how to play teach'em.
3. Practice mind games spiking an the like.
4. Think about all the possible stages you'll be playing .

but if you can't do the top three go in to training mode and practice the basics and ATs
playing against cpu's isn't helpful (bad habbits.)

p.s learn some more ATs (ones you tink will be useful.)

Switch FC
SW 1721 4573 3132
Practise chaingrabbing, getting comments from friends on how I play and what I should do to be better...spiking with Nana...stuff like that. ^^

Roman.

Smash Champion
I don't do anything out of the ordinary. Going to tournaments will make you a lot better so if i had to answer your question, I'd say go to small tourneys to prepare for large ones.

Mr. Escalator

G&W Guru
NNID
MrEscalator
I dont know of any small ones, so I'm sorta stuck with the larger types of tourneys :s
W.T.F. is actually my first >___>
and I'm going to get thrashed!

Melfice z

Smash Ace
usually i use the sandbag to train/master my advanced techniques and try to make new combo's.
when i have a solid looking combo i test it on a levle 6 computer..and add it to my game. I have a few friends that play the game but they give me no real experience anymore being so used to them, so i play locally on wifi and generally play two level 9s trying not to spam knowing that a leginamite player wouldnt fall for those tactics. :) good luck.

Top Bottom