• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you SHDL?

sineps

Smash Rookie
Hey, i know this is a noob question but i cant seem to get this down. i dont know how to shdl. i short hop then just hit 'B' as fast as i can repeatedly but only get one laser out. is there a special way to do this?

thnx. dont flame. im still learning :p

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Button sliding is the best way to do it.

Practice is what will get it down. Just constantly practice and you should get it.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
Basically pressing one of the c buttons and then sliding your thumb to the b button without picking your thumb up.

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
The issue with SHDL is not how fast you can mash B, but rather how fast you can press B after C. The amount of time between you pressing c to jump and B to laser needs to be minimized until you can get 2 lasers out in 1 shorthop. Just mash B repeatedly after pressing C, that's the easy part. If you want to be ultra pro you can find the rhythm of the two lasers so you only press B twice, but I have a feeling that would be pretty **** hard to do consistently when mashing works fine.

It definitely takes practice to get it down and to increase the speed of your fingers. Also, as the above post says - button sliding helps to reduce that gap between pressing jump and lasering.

Once you have it down doing it in place, try doing while moving slightly forward/advancing and then slightly backward/retreating. As far as I know it's impossible to do an SHDL out of a full-speed forward shorthop, or at least I've never made it work (For this situation a delayed SHL is better). But small advancing or retreating movements work with SHDL quite nicely.

sineps

Smash Rookie
alright..thanks guys...i guess i just need to give it more practice

Dash_Fox

Smash Ace
I use my first part of my thumb for the C button and then I use my other part of the thumb for the A or B buttons. Sliding seems like too much work!

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Practice other things first, make sure you can shorthop 100% of the time if you want to, and master shl at different heights. If you shl, the height should be as low as possible, but if you shdl, you should shl as high as possible (meaning almost no time between C and B) and then just add another laser. Don't worry about the second laser, just make sure the first one comes as quick as possible and hit B twice.

TL;DR: practice or use kb

_kSo_

Smash Master
If there are other technical skills you have trouble with, such as short hopping or dash dancing, you should practice those before worrying about SHDL.

Also, win.

MattNF

Smash Lord
It's even harder to do on the GC controller since the B button is so far away. Luckily I have practice in Melee with Falco and Fox so it's a bit easier, but it's still not as easy as the N64 controller...

But yeah, like others have said, just move your finger as fast as you can.

Superstar

Smash Champion
^^^ Agreed.

I stopped using KB recently. So much relief, though I sucked worse once I switche and am starting to get back to regular levels.

Zantetsu

Smash Master
It's even harder to do on the GC controller since the B button is so far away. Luckily I have practice in Melee with Falco and Fox so it's a bit easier, but it's still not as easy as the N64 controller...

But yeah, like others have said, just move your finger as fast as you can.
Actually, it isn't far away if you slide from Y to B. It's how I do double shines, short hop double lasers, etc in melee.

what is KB?
Keyboard.

Xelgand

Smash Apprentice
Hey, didn't know you can make it with the c buttons, i always used the z to shdl
(at least it's easier for me on kb)

D

Deleted member

falcons easier to use on keyboard

what i usually do is tap left c with my right hand and bring my left hand over and mash the crap out of the B button. This often makes the 2nd laser go above the enemies head if they are small

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
with the shine cancle, you just have to do the shine as close to the ground as possible. I for one, simply roll my fingers down the C buttons while holding down, and press B...works well. (console)

online i have to slide my fingers from the triangle button to the square button, while holding down, then press B (ps3 controller) its basically the same thing but it seems easier on console

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
Shine cancel at that speed is possible but dash shine cancel like this is not.

You can tech chase forwardly a bit like wave shine with fox shine if you do it good enough. But it's not that important since it will alost never work, as for shine to grab I think is not a combo...

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
But remember, you can shine-jab-grab. Or shine-jab-insert attack here.

I think my mistake about shine-dash-shine is just due to people usually not teching a shine immediately like they would with other attacks, since it causes you to roll on the ground immediately.

Top Bottom