• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you train for competition?

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
Okay, I'm not going into a tourney, but I need to know an efficient way to train so that I know that I'm good.

For example, let's say you can beat Level 9 CPUs of most of your main's counterpicks without breaking a sweat. You might say, "Hey, I rock!"; but then you fight another person on the same stage with the same characters, and lose miserably (THIS IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE, NOT MY LIFE'S STORY!!!).

But you see, the computers are foolish, and I only have one tough freind, who I can't get online whenever I need practice. So, what is the best way to practice that will let you know how good you really are?

MarKO X

Smash Champion
NNID
legendnumberM
3DS FC
2595-2072-2390
Switch FC
Practice through training, perfect every move.

The only real way to know how good you are is by playing other good people. Until then, you'll never be able to accurately gauge it.

¯\_S.(ツ).L.I.D._/¯

Smash Legend
Perfect your main strategies that you specifically like to use, tailor your training to you. If you like SH double fairing with Marth, do that (not that you use Marth). If you want to practice Meteor Smashes with ROB, do that. Make your training fit your playstyle.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
There should be an official tournament preparation thread.

Tyser

Smash Champion
Going to tournaments is the only way to get better or to train for it, in my experience. Playing on Wifi doesnt help AT ALL and neither does playing against Lv.9 computers. Playing against buddies is good even if they suck because you can practice shenanigans against them. Just make sure you're playing with real people and you should be in good shape (not over Wifi).

acv

Smash Journeyman
you look at the answers of other threads that asked the same thing.or practice with your friends.

Someone7

Smash Apprentice
I remember awhile back looking at a list of the best American smash players. One thing you notice about the list is that practically everyone on the top 25 list plays with someone else on the top 25. Ken and Manacloud are brothers and they play with Chu Dat, Husband and Wife know each other, etc. Basically you get good by playing good people.

To help illustrate (though I'm not a great smasher by any means), I was one of the best people playing Smash at my college, though the only practice I got at home was with a friend of mine, and he basically sucked compared to me. He went to college with me one day and he owned one of the better people in the group, based solely on being my punching bag. I myself often had trouble with this guy, but my friend beat him pretty easily.

So my advice would be to find the best player within a reasonable distance to you and become friends. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you should be able to find tournament quality smashers who will probably gladly beat the crap out of you over and over again, giving you invaluable experience. If you don't, well, the next best thing would just be train up someone else and both of you will make each other better the more you play.

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet
Yeah like the others said make friends with people who are better than you. Let them beat the crap out of you and eventually you will catch on to their playstyle. Then you'll beat them. And go to tournaments

FrznSaber

Smash Journeyman
Going to competitions = training for competitions
Goodway to get ready while also exposing yourself to a competitve enviroment. Sure you might lose several times but at least you know what lies outside you, your room and your friends.​

I remember awhile back looking at a list of the best American smash players. One thing you notice about the list is that practically everyone on the top 25 list plays with someone else on the top 25. Ken and Manacloud are brothers and they play with Chu Dat, Husband and Wife know each other, etc. Basically you get good by playing good people.

To help illustrate (though I'm not a great smasher by any means), I was one of the best people playing Smash at my college, though the only practice I got at home was with a friend of mine, and he basically sucked compared to me. He went to college with me one day and he owned one of the better people in the group, based solely on being my punching bag. I myself often had trouble with this guy, but my friend beat him pretty easily.

So my advice would be to find the best player within a reasonable distance to you and become friends. If you live in a major metropolitan area, you should be able to find tournament quality smashers who will probably gladly beat the crap out of you over and over again, giving you invaluable experience. If you don't, well, the next best thing would just be train up someone else and both of you will make each other better the more you play.

Another good method. I spend most of my time sparring with siqmonkey and that helped me become another Ike player by testing out what works and what doesn't work on a human player. But it's wise to find a good assortment of people to play against or else you may become accustomed to fighting against a certain playing style​

-Ran

Smash Master
Step 1. Go to the Regional Section.
Step 2. Find people better than you in driving distance.
Step 3. Get in your car/bike/shoes.
Step 4. ???
Step 5. PROFIT!

Crank

Smash Apprentice
The best way to get better is to get your *** kicked so you can see whats wrong with your game so you can perfect it so you make no mistakes.

Korpocalypse

Smash Journeyman
at tourny's (and in competitive play in general) it is always good to constantly look at your opponent('s character on-screen). If you are not completely used to a character, or want to get more used to it for a tourny, I recommend this...exercise.
get an eyepatch (or just something to cover one of your eyes.), go into training mode, and spawn a smashball, then watch it the entire time as you chase it with the eyepatch on one eye for 2 minutes. then do the same for the other eye. Then set the computer to run away and do the same. then set the computer to attack (or just have someone else hit you for practice) and do the same while allowing the opponent to knock you off the stage. (this one is especially important because it is a great way to learn how you're opponent is edgeguarding and to get around it. Then maybe (I only do this when playing a new char to make sure i'm really used to it) have your character start out somewhere, close your eyes, move around, guess where he/she is now, and open your eyes and see if you were correct, rinse and repeat.

good luck

BBQ°

Smash Champion
If you do happen to go to a tournament to train, be sure to record your matches so later on you can review them and see what you did wrong.

Foxy

Smash Master
at tourny's (and in competitive play in general) it is always good to constantly look at your opponent('s character on-screen). If you are not completely used to a character, or want to get more used to it for a tourny, I recommend this...exercise.
get an eyepatch (or just something to cover one of your eyes.), go into training mode, and spawn a smashball, then watch it the entire time as you chase it with the eyepatch on one eye for 2 minutes. then do the same for the other eye. Then set the computer to run away and do the same. then set the computer to attack (or just have someone else hit you for practice) and do the same while allowing the opponent to knock you off the stage. (this one is especially important because it is a great way to learn how you're opponent is edgeguarding and to get around it. Then maybe (I only do this when playing a new char to make sure i'm really used to it) have your character start out somewhere, close your eyes, move around, guess where he/she is now, and open your eyes and see if you were correct, rinse and repeat.

good luck
That's brilliant, first time I've heard it. =]

Usually players naturally shift from watching themselves to paying closer attention to their adversaries as they improve, yet doing something like this could speed that up quite a bit.

And of course, knowing what your opponent is doing is more important than watching what you're doing.

Cam3ron

Smash Cadet

good luck
Wow seems like great advice. First time ive ever heard this

yungunr2

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2852-8390-1766
nice tip Korpocalypse. I agree with everyone here the best training is actually playing with people that can beat you easy so u learn how they move, their mindgames,etc. and you will adapt and be able to spot similar tricks and learn how to counter them.

smashking06

Smash Rookie
All the advice i can give you is to get creative start creating your own combos. dont go online and do the same tricks everyone else does.

5ive

Smash Champion
Practise, Practise, Practise.

I usually do this buy playing people who are better than me : D

mr.fizwidget

Smash Champion

good luck
anybody got an eyepatch?

Suzume

Smash Rookie
The training I use is pretty simple. I go into training mode and start off with facing a level 9 Mario, and put the Cpu on attack. Then I start fighting him while using the same tactic I would use against a real person. With other words, treat the Cpu as a real person and try to attack while thinking (for example) "will he airdodge or try a Dair?". And I do this until I get three "clean" kills in a row, without dying. And what I mean with "clean" is no gimp kills or "easy" kills. For example I don't count it as a real kill (by real kill, I mean a kill in the three in a row deal) if I kill the cpu with an attack that I "know" most good people would evade (I'm not making any sense am I?). I'm sure you know what I'm trying to say, even if I'm not that good at explaining it (three I'm in one sentence \o/). There isn't really a thing that's called a "clean kill" (I only used it to be able to explain in a much easier way). And you should judge yourself if you think the kill should count.

Phew, I'm glad I'm done with that, so let's continue. When I've done three "clean kills", I just change my opponent to a Donkey Kong (lvl 9). "Why?", you might ask, "Because he is the second character on the selection screen" I would answer. So yeah, I pretty much do this against every character. It gives me great training due to facing all kinds of opponents like those who have fast attacks, projectile using characters and so on.

It may take a while to kill the Cpu three times in a row, and this training may only work for a few people. But the reason I use it is that it works for me :laugh:

Oh, and play on training mode. So you can double click start every time you die, to reset the Cpu's % to 0. (And I know that what I wrote was very confusing. But I blame lag, as I always do.:bee:)

MidnightAsaph

Smash Lord
I don't.

My advice to you is to play as many people as you can, gain experience, learn as many techs as you can, practice them in real situations and then just relax. ;)

smallwolf24

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0834-2422-8954
I would practice my techniques over and over so I can do them at will and adapt to my foe

RoxburyGuy58

Smash Journeyman
To Suzume : That's how I train all the time. I'm giving it up, though, because the Lv. 9 CPUs are innaccurate testaments of a character's full potential.

somefatkid

Smash Rookie
GB is the place for me.
since smash has no online ranking system the thing that works the best for me is gamebattles.com use there site to get exposed to serious smash players and try out strategys/things of that nature

ihatemybrother

Smash Journeyman
Practice like Isai does, "Don't Get Hit"

Rig your controller up to a 12 Volt car battery and atatch the jumper cables to your nipples. Everytime it vibrates when you get hit, you will feel it burn good.

Just don't be Falcon and dash around (and I thought HIS nipples were hot!)

Well after a while, all ligaments, muscles, bones, priority, and electricity from your knees will overtake your nips, (and they won't spike no more)

Binx

Smash Master
You train for competitions by going to competitions and losing a lot of times until you are better than the people there. /thread?

gallax

Smash Hero
you play people who are good and then go to tournaments and have money matches on the side while you are waiting for your matches.

Top Bottom