• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you use the Warlock Punch?

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
I have to wonder if it's the least bit useful in 1v1's, because I don't like to use a character unless I find a use for everything that they own. So what is it outside of team battles?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Break someone's shield first. Then use it.

OR, if you really DIed a hit correctly and are far away from the stage, a reverse reverse Warlock Punch gives you more DI than normal.

Sgt. Baker

Smash Ace
Basically breaking the shield like mentioned above. I sometimes use it for mindgames (hey, it works sometimes haha). Some of my friends are really careless/stupid (really bad too lol) so as soon as I respawn with the invincibilty frames I'll do it once in awhile- but I save that technique more for team battles.

xX Boezy Xx

Smash Journeyman
I once pulled one off after my friend wiffed Zelda's Fsmash....But seriously, this move is extremely situational, so its uses are hard to discern. But man, if you land one...it's such a good feeling...

:034:

Smash Hero
You don't. Pretty easy, really.

I personally never use Murder Fist, except when I'm sandbagging or just ******* around on Wi-Fi.

SuSa

Banned via Administration
I manage to time it perfectly as an edgeguard.

I've hit a Falco and Fox multiple times while they were using side-b to recover, and sent them flying to their deaths. I've hit a teleporting Sheik right as he spawned back from a miss (he was trying to KO me I guess) and countless other times against other characters.

I find it funny when I see someone get hit by it or even worse when I accidently up-tilt and they get hit by that xD

canswer

Smash Cadet
Ummm i guess i run with this one... I've really started using (and LANDING) the warlock punch ALOT in my 1 v 1's latly, the best thing about this move is that most people think it is awful and will underestimate you...

this may sound like bad reckless playing to most of you but i would estimate that i attempt the move at least 5 - 8 times a match sometimes more...

the way i justify this is that on average i usually land a warlock punch (yes on good people) once every other match or so. if i get hit 8 times trying to throw out the Warlock punch and take 60 dmg and then i land on and kill my friend at 20% with a 180 ganon punch, 60% for 1 stock.. ill take it

i really enjoy using the warlock punch from very high in the air (like when you get hit up) and doing either a 360 or a 180 and with correct DI and timing so you punch right when you hit the ground. trust me this works i have it worked out that if my opponent does a move and misses, they are going to get Warlock punched...

Oh and short hop and double jumped, 180 and 360 warlock punches are very confusing to see twirling in the air at you. ALWAYS do a 180 or a 360, NEVER just do a regular warlock punch, reversed do more dmg and knock back...

this may not seem useful to most of you but i have made it work for me, and i have close to 70 Warlock punches on replays ill get on the internet sometime in the next weeks...

Long story short, dont break shields just break their spirits.. :)

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
Ummm i guess i run with this one... I've really started using (and LANDING) the warlock punch ALOT in my 1 v 1's latly, the best thing about this move is that most people think it is awful and will underestimate you...

this may sound like bad reckless playing to most of you but i would estimate that i attempt the move at least 5 - 8 times a match sometimes more...

the way i justify this is that on average i usually land a warlock punch (yes on good people) once every other match or so. if i get hit 8 times trying to throw out the Warlock punch and take 60 dmg and then i land on and kill my friend at 20% with a 180 ganon punch, 60% for 1 stock.. ill take it

i really enjoy using the warlock punch from very high in the air (like when you get hit up) and doing either a 360 or a 180 and with correct DI and timing so you punch right when you hit the ground. trust me this works i have it worked out that if my opponent does a move and misses, they are going to get Warlock punched...

this may not seem useful to most of you but i have made it work for me, and i have close to 70 Warlock punches on replays ill get on the internet sometime in the next weeks...
Sounds fantastic. So I'll need to start utilizing DI.

I like to use it for the recovery, and when you break someone's shield as everyone mentioned already.
So tell me, what's the most effective way to utilize the punch as a recovery? 'Tis an intriguing idea.

canswer

Smash Cadet
On the topic of recovery...

Umm... i think he is talking about when you 360 the warlock punch you get a decent amount of momentum... and if you are really high up and off the level you can make it back a good amount. NOW the reason i never do this is because i use the 360 Warlock punch ALOT and even i sometimes still Side-B instead of doing the 360, and if you are off the level and do that the wrong way .... i think you can imagine what would happen...

this is a link from Silq's guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SFekF7q4g

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of recovery...

Umm... i think he is talking about when you 360 the warlock punch you get a decent amount of momentum... and if you are really high up and off the level you can make it back a good amount. NOW the reason i never do this is because i use the 360 Warlock punch ALOT and even i sometimes still Side-B instead of doing the 360, and if you are off the level and do that the wrong way .... i think you can imagine what would happen...

this is a link from Silq's guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6SFekF7q4g
I've taken the time to practice the 360 punch (even though I wasn't exactly sure if it was useful at all). I think I've gotten in enough practice to keep that from happening. Also, I've tried it, it's amazing. The ludicrous DI does indeed make it easier to hit people and recovery. Thanks, everybody!

El Drago

Smash Cadet
The move takes a couple seconds to pull off and has no super armor, only a fool will be hit by it.

On the plus side, using mind games can make people stupid, a short hopped 360 warlock punch might trick them into it.

Its a fun gamble, I would say i can get one to connect once every 5 games or so. You arent going to get KOed while doing the move if ur smart (never start one if ur over 80% imo) so its no big deal trying to get one in, cause its SO worth it when you do (especially if u KO them when they are at 12% or so).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Honestly if you're going to gamble with a huge attack, use the U-tilt.

The U-tilt actually has crazy enough range to be remotely useful. If you have good spacing, you can use one near the ledge to force your opponent to do something, and chances are they won't react fast enough to actually punish the U-tilt. Just beware of characters that ledgecamp with projectiles really. I think Ganondorf's U-tilt has the most range of ANY ground attack in Brawl (or maybe it's competing with DDD's F-smash or something like that). That's not something to take lightly.

Also the U-tilt starts slightly faster I think, and does more shield damage, not to mention has a lot less ending lag. And the wind effect can gimp Ike's side-B.

And then if you break someone's shield with the U-tilt (or following up with a D-air on someone's shield), you can THEN Warlock Punch someone. =P

Hoboparty

Smash Apprentice
It can work for edge guarding predictable recoveries, or if something happens like jiggs screws up a rest or snake is using a rocket and it will be a while b4 he puts away his launcher. W/ perfect timing you can use it on anyone's up b that goes above the stage (excluding ike b/c of ether's flinch resistance)

ArchPong

Smash Rookie
If one of my friends trips beside me while we are just playing (only time i use ganondorf) i throw down the reverse to hopefully catch there roll behind me. otherwise just in ffa or teams for kicks :p landing one is so satisfying

canswer

Smash Cadet
Honestly if you're going to gamble with a huge attack, use the U-tilt.

The U-tilt actually has crazy enough range to be remotely useful. If you have good spacing, you can use one near the ledge to force your opponent to do something, and chances are they won't react fast enough to actually punish the U-tilt. Just beware of characters that ledgecamp with projectiles really. I think Ganondorf's U-tilt has the most range of ANY ground attack in Brawl (or maybe it's competing with DDD's F-smash or something like that). That's not something to take lightly.

Also the U-tilt starts slightly faster I think, and does more shield damage, not to mention has a lot less ending lag. And the wind effect can gimp Ike's side-B.

And then if you break someone's shield with the U-tilt (or following up with a D-air on someone's shield), you can THEN Warlock Punch someone. =P
NOOOOOOOO

warlock punch > up-tilt

warlock punch is FAR more effective for several reasons..

1. you can start it in the air
2. you can reverse it AND double reverse
3. it is slightly faster
4. MUCH stronger

OK heres some rules for everyone who thinks the warlock punch sucks

1. never do the warlock punch on the ground
2. ALWAYS either reverse or double reverse the warlock punch because it does more dmg and knockback, (and not to mention its confusing seeing a swirling purple warlock dropping out of the sky about to land next to you and end your stock)
3. Always follow the first two rules

DRaGZ

Smash Champion
I like using it to scare people trying to recover. Sometimes they end up killing themselves. It's quite funny.

Chainsaw97

Smash Rookie
I try not to use it, and when I do its only if I know there is a chance of hitting someone with it.

PK-ow!

Smash Lord
I use it to play dice.

If you recoil from throwing the power around, you might as well not play Ganon. You need to put the fear of the murder fist in their souls.

It works for punishing greedy people, and screwing with tempo. Sadly, I don't see how it can be used against ranged fighters - Falco, Toon Link, that sort of character.

In contrast to Chainsaw97, I use it when the expected value of pwnage done to me is less than the expected value for pwnage done to them, where pwnage varies greatly dependent particularly on how low their percent is.
You have to steal kills with the fist, or at least threaten to. People need to be afraid.

If you predict a roll in close quarters, using this move and mixing it up between the normal and punch-reversed forms, can give you up to 50% chance for a successful murder.

To pressure vigilant rolls, of course use thunderstorming, but if you're good you can overuse Murder Foot to bring the shield out, too. If a shield goes up and they don't react to the punch quick enough, they'll take massive shield damage or they might even eat the punch when they try to flee. Use this only if you're spaced (and against a character) so you can't be grabbed, of course.

Shameadactyl

Smash Cadet
I just recently started working the punch as an offensive, non-recovery move.

Suddenly, I'm killing everyone a lot easier.

J0RDY

Smash Journeyman
I use it once ever few hundred matches.
Best to use it out of the blue, approaching with a full hopped reverse warlock punch can SOMETIMES work, because your opponent would never see it coming and just roll into it.
99/100 dont use it though

Ace55

Smash Lord
NOOOOOOOO

warlock punch > up-tilt

warlock punch is FAR more effective for several reasons..

1. you can start it in the air
2. you can reverse it AND double reverse
3. it is slightly faster
4. MUCH stronger

OK heres some rules for everyone who thinks the warlock punch sucks

1. never do the warlock punch on the ground
2. ALWAYS either reverse or double reverse the warlock punch because it does more dmg and knockback, (and not to mention its confusing seeing a swirling purple warlock dropping out of the sky about to land next to you and end your stock)
3. Always follow the first two rules
I don't care if you do a 1080 warlock punch, as long as you didn't turn the sound off I will always dodge it. At least uptilt is a silent killer.

__V

Smash Journeyman
I just break their shield and finish them with a reverse-punch.

Top Bottom