• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Character Color-Edit Mode for Brawl sound?

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Haven't seen a thread about this...But I'm sure everybody's thought about it...The colors we get from our characters. Some people like em'...Some people don't. Some think they're pretty basic...But! Have you ever thought about jazzin' up the character's colors? Give em' your own, unique look? Like, for example, make Mario's hat maybe a...Baby-blue color. Add your own fashion to it!

How would you like it? Being able to change the clothing of your character? Not the skin & hair, though. Cuz that will get too in depth...But, what do you guys think? Create your own unique color for your character?

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like a good idea, but no.

See, the way coloring works is that is has to be programmed on for a long time to be vibrant and sharp. Basically more color customizations = less sharp colors. Personally, I'd rather have my blacks blacker and my greens greener than being able to pick a billion flat colors. It works in games like Guilty Gear and Disgaea because they intentionally have crappy graphics (They're both great games though), but in Smash Bros I would rather see very vibrant colors, and judging by his posts I think Sakurai does too.

Maybe the technology has improved for him to be able to do this, but as of now I say it's about as likely as Blizzard announcing a launch date for Starcraft Ghost.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Yea...I understand. I wouldn't expect it to be a complicated, detailed color scheme. Just something simple...What do you guys think?

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like a good idea, but no.

See, the way coloring works is that is has to be programmed on for a long time to be vibrant and sharp. Basically more color customizations = less sharp colors. Personally, I'd rather have my blacks blacker and my greens greener than being able to pick a billion flat colors. It works in games like Guilty Gear and Disgaea because they intentionally have crappy graphics (They're both great games though), but in Smash Bros I would rather see very vibrant colors, and judging by his posts I think Sakurai does too.

Maybe the technology has improved for him to be able to do this, but as of now I say it's about as likely as Blizzard announcing a launch date for Starcraft Ghost.

But wait, there are infinite color possibilities in all those crappy tuner car racing games, and they look fine.

Even allowing your argument, they could provide us with a choice of say 64 colors for individual pieces of clothing.

Don't think it'll get in, I just enjoy naysaying when I'm procrastinating on a school project at 12:35 am.

TheZizz

Smash Journeyman
Sounds neat, although it could conceivably be used for camoflauge in certain stages.

Personally I'm kind of hoping for the different costumes to extend beyond the pokemon. Specifically, Wario in his traditional yellow and purple get-up.

Team Giza

Smash Lord
Sounds cool but I would like to edit skin and hair too.

DK with white hair and black skin for the win. Give that beast a custom tie and he is ready to go!

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
But wait, there are infinite color possibilities in all those crappy tuner car racing games, and they look fine.

Even allowing your argument, they could provide us with a choice of say 64 colors for individual pieces of clothing.

Don't think it'll get in, I just enjoy naysaying when I'm procrastinating on a school project at 12:35 am.
I uh.. don't do school projects in August, but to help you, the cars don't have multiple moving parts. All the SSBB characters have to move every limb and contort their bodies in impossible ways constantly. In the car racing games, other than the wheels, nothing on the car moves. And most of those car games aren't for the Wii. Wii can't hold enough memory for the thousands of customizable car things. I guess a lot of color changes on say Kirby will be fine since we've seen from the trailer he'd look like crap anyway, but it would be disheartening to see Link or Ike less vibrantly.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
Sounds neat, although it could conceivably be used for camoflauge in certain stages.
Yea. Some people might actually set their character up just so they can blend in with the stages. But we'd be able to tell...C'mon guyz. I need some more of your thoughts. :)

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
You know, at first I was going to disagree with color editing idea, because I generally like the characters to be their traditional selves. The only time I ever really am a color that my character normally wouldn't be is in certain team battles. And that doesn't really mean that I think color editing shouldn't be in; just saying I don't think I'd use it if it were.

But then Team Giza said this:
DK with white hair and black skin for the win. Give that beast a custom tie and he is ready to go!
That sounds so badass.

Rx-

A.K.A. Disafter
The best that could possibly happen would be ALOT of color choices. Custom colors would be impossible because they would interupt the high resolution graphics. I think.

Either way, I would settle for 8 colors per chracter. ( R,G,B,Y, Purple, White, Black , Orange) Just like a crayon box.

DP's Mario

Smash Ace
You know, at first I was going to disagree with color editing idea, because I generally like the characters to be their traditional selves. The only time I ever really am a color that my character normally wouldn't be is in certain team battles. And that doesn't really mean that I think color editing shouldn't be in; just saying I don't think I'd use it if it were.

But then Team Giza said this:

That sounds so badass.
Well, of course! Colors will still apply if you are doing team battles. You just simply choose the color coordinating to the team color. Your edited color character would be for Battle Royal's and 1v1 singles. You'd always get confused if you had a White-skinned monkey on a red team! :laugh:

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
The best that could possibly happen would be ALOT of color choices. Custom colors would be impossible because they would interupt the high resolution graphics. I think.

Either way, I would settle for 8 colors per chracter. ( R,G,B,Y, Purple, White, Black , Orange) Just like a crayon box.
That shouldn't be hard to do, I agree with this statement, because Frankly I felt 4-5 in SSBM wasn't enough

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I swear on my LIFE that I say someone post something like this in a thread as a joke.

Terrible idea IMO, the colour could take away from the characters personality.
I mean, imagine your girlfriend maining a pink Bowser. Not cool at all.

GregUnit

Smash Journeyman
I swear on my LIFE that I say someone post something like this in a thread as a joke.

You're very quick to say most of the people here have girlfriends.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer

Well, sure, YOU may not want a pink Bowser. But someone would. Why deny them that? Customization, almost without exception, is not a bad thing.

The only thing that I now see wrong with this idea is what GregUnit said. I'd like my colors to stay vivid too.

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
It would be an awesome feature. The only thing i have against it is if they do that why wouldnt they just make a Character Editor/Maker?

Knightblade

Smash Cadet
I like many people would want this a lot, but nintendo being gay would probably not include it because its too much effort or some gay **** like that lol. More customization in the game would certainly add a nice level of depth and would make everyone character more unique.

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
I bet that would be the only way for my girlfriend to play smash is if i let her use a pink bowser:laugh:

behemoth

Smash Journeyman
No offense, but I would like a programming-centric or hardware-centric explanation of why having a bunch of colors on a bunch of animated polygonal faces would make them less vibrant.

A color is just a material placed on a polygon. If a color is ugly, so be it, but if the only thing changing was the literal hue of the color (not its refraction, texture, shading and so forth) then your explanation doesn't make sense.

If anything, my example of the tuner car games shows an even harder programming boggle. No, they may not be moving, but the surfaces are interacting dynamically with lights, be they natural or manmade, which is a much more challenging thing to pull off.

I am not saying you're wrong, but I was wondering if you could be more specific, either in a programming or hardware sense.

~behemoth

BladeDemon

Smash Cadet
yes i agree it would almost be more work thats why i was saying that the would be better off just putting a character creater in there than having custom colors for every character based on the players desire

Top Bottom