• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does slamming into the ground affect knockback and hitstun?

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
As far as I know this has never been looked into.

Let's assume my Marth is standing on the right edge of the stage with 95% damage against a Toon Link that is hanging onto the ledge. He ledgehop fairs me and I DI down. As a result, I would smash into the stage with a chance to tech, but if I miss the tech, I would bounce off the ground and continue to fly to the left.

What I want to find out is how this bounce affects knockback AND hitstun?

Testing hitstun should be easy with frame advance. And I have a few ideas as to how I'd do knockback, but before I start on that, does anyone have any recommendations as to how I should test for it?

Yikarur

Smash Master
actually hitstun is compeltly negated when you slam into the ground and slide off-stage. That's why I would never tech Wolfs dthrow, it's much more safer to just DI down and jump immediatly after you slide off-stage.

it's not really possible to calculate knockback here because we can't even calculate normal knockback lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If you slide off stage as a result of knockback, I'm 99% certain hitstun is canceled the moment you slide off.

Also, coliding into two walls/ceilings COMPLETELY cancels all hitstun as well (if G&W collides into two such surfaces due to knockback, instant Bucket Brake)

How knockback is affected, I don't know. My first guess is that there might be a factor for how much knockback decreases, and my second guess is that traction has something to do with it.

EDIT: Ninja'd by Yika. Too good.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
actually hitstun is compeltly negated when you slam into the ground and slide off-stage. That's why I would never tech Wolfs dthrow, it's much more safer to just DI down and jump immediatly after you slide off-stage.
Don't you still slide a good distance if you haven't completely canceled knockback and if at a high enough % jump to the blastzone?

:093:

Yikarur

Smash Master
of course, I've never said knockback is cancelled o: but the knockback is dramatically reduced. It's like a very fast momentum cancel.

The Cape

Smash Master

it's not really possible to calculate knockback here because we can't even calculate normal knockback lol
Thats also why you can AD to grapple with Link, Samus, and such to stay on the stage forever.

T-block

B2B TST
It's also why people whine about GaW and DK in Luigi's Mansion. They don't even have to tech really, since they can halt all momentum after bouncing off a ceiling.

thexsunrosered

Smash Lord
I lol'd at the yoshis died everywhere comment. I also wanna know what happens when a character hits another one in the air, like in doubles or a random FFA

Top Bottom