• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

how fast do YOU burn threw your Dstick?

Tangy

Smash Apprentice
Do you people **** the controller or something? I've been using my silver one for almost a 2 years and it's still in good-new quality. I lent my black one (that I rarely use) to a friend, and he wore out the dstick in a week.

If you spaz out like PC Chris, maybe the controllers wear out faster.

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
The wearing down of the circles happened to me about 1 week after I got the wavebird. So I took a razor, cut the plastic down, and now the D-sticks the same size of the C-stick. It worked like a charm other than that for about 5 years, but now my C-stick won't respond about 33% of the time...... And occasionally I have to shut-off/ turn it back on about 10 times before the reciever finds the controller lol.

MackyMack

Smash Rookie
I've only had 2 controllers since I bought my GC, an orange one and a silver one. The orange works perfectly fine. However, my silver controller is screwed up. The Z button is stuck, the control stick feels like an N64 controller, the L button is unresponsive, and you can see that the paint in the control stick is starting to wear off. I still use it though, just that I now prefer the orange one :p A friend of mine has a black controller and you have to mash the A button to make it work and the plastic in the control stick is peeled off. But no, I have never wasted a Dstick. Looks like fun though.

I.iZ.nO.1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iizno1
3DS FC
1349-7897-6883
SInce i got my gamecube when it first came out, i have had two main controllers(a black one and an orange one) and several third party controlers that always had problems with. But both my nintendo GC controls are still here with me smashing it up. Yet i cant ell they both are reaching the end of thier life as i can visibly see that the rubber on the Dstick is slowly getting worn and beginning to tear. I also have a friend that goes through controls pretty fast, i wouldnt say as fast but yah. So when ever i play with him i dont let him use either of my controls.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I've never had to replace my controllers except for one that I lost, and that was years ago. Only now is the rubber on the Control Stick starting to peel off. I'm planning to get a new one soon before it comes off completely.

AIGuy

Smash Rookie
I've never had a problem, but my dad somehow manges to RIP the rubber off the control stick.

Super_Sonic8677

Smash Lord
The analog stick on my first controler no longer has rubber on it. And it doesn't recognize tilts (smash or jabXD)anymore....

My "newer" one I bought used,the C stick is starting to not respond.....

Is there a place you can buy these new anymore?

blazefox

Smash Journeyman
^ the only thing I can think of is try taking the controller apart and cleaning around the C-stick. It's possible the gunk (and yes, there will be alot) in and around the C-stick keeps it from responding /:

Corigames

Smash Hero
1 per year.

I like my controllers very tight, which is the only reason why I would ever buy a new one any way. If I didn't care so much, I would use my worn out one.

Zema

Smash Journeyman
1: Hold the gamecube controller firmly but not too hard by it's handles.

2: Place fingertips very VERY gently on the Dstick.

3: Move at whatever speed.

I, myself, when I want to use the dstick, I put my thumb to one side, not touching the top, and mash it.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
The controller I'm using now has been with me since... about 6 months after Phantasy Star Online Ep. 1&2 came out. My friend and I found out that the longer you played without turning off the game, the better your drops were... so we played for three straight days without turning off the system, ran down the cooling fan, and melted the GC's CPU. Got a new Gamecube and have been using the included controller ever since.

:chuckle:
REALLY!! HOLY CRAP *goes to play pso.*

Cookiez

Smash Ace
Until four month's ago, I had been using my controller for 3 years. Then I learned to SWD and Moonwalk... It all went downhill from there ="(, the Control Stick is already just about shattered :p

mzink*

Smash Ace
Maybe the skin on your hands and fingers is exceptionally rough. Hey it's a thought....if you work with your hands alot and the skin is rough and calloused maybe it affects the wear on your controller more....

Wölf

Smash Apprentice
Try washing your hands more often while you play. For serious. There might be some sort of oils that your hands are releasing onto the Dstick while you play that cause it to disintegrate.

As for me, I've had a total of 6 controllers. 2 Wavebirds that still work but I've lost the receiver, and 4 other normal ones. I broke one of the normal ones by smashing it on the ground, but I learned from that and haven't broken one since :D

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
My origonal GC controller still works and looks fine, but my little brother turns into a dog when he plays the GC and bites off the rubber. I had to get GAMESTOP controllers to replace the ones he bit up.

Oh, and my REAL dogs bit up one ENTIRE Wavebird, too.

x9whitey9x

Smash Journeyman
I've had mine since GC was dropped to $150. I bought three more, and all four are in near perfect condition, although my friend has been complaining that the C-stick doesn't work on one of them.

Proverbs

Smash Lord
im on my forth gc controller in the last two months. i picked up a new wavebird last night, played for maybe 4hrs, and the dstick is already worn down to the point where the top rubber circles are gone. the controller itself still works fine.. but im curious as to if anyone else has this problem. once you wear the dstick down far enough its all hard plastic and blisters from there and thats the point where it becomes uncomfortable to play with and im forced to invest in another.
Yeah man, what do you do to your controller? That's ridiculous. The circles aren't gone on mine and I got mine a couple of months ago. I have a friend that's had his maybe for a year or two that still has the circles.

Edit: Waiiittt, is this a legitimate Nintendo Gamecube controller? Like does it say it on the controller? If not then you bought a bad controller and that's why. I got one of those that was like "Wii/Gamecube Compatible." I didn't want it but opened it up later just to have and figured there wouldn't be a huge difference. The controller felt all weird and was completely different from the real gamecube controllers AND the control stick's pad seemed to wear out fast. That might be your problem.

Tokerella

Smash Apprentice
Edit: Waiiittt, is this a legitimate Nintendo Gamecube controller? Like does it say it on the controller? If not then you bought a bad controller and that's why. I got one of those that was like "Wii/Gamecube Compatible." I didn't want it but opened it up later just to have and figured there wouldn't be a huge difference. The controller felt all weird and was completely different from the real gamecube controllers AND the control stick's pad seemed to wear out fast. That might be your problem.
lol theyre all legit, 2 black controllers and 2 wavebirds. and there is NO grease from food on my fingers when i play.. very anal about that sort of thing.

ook

Smash Lord
I've had the same controller since I first got my gamecube (close to when it came out).

It always worked fine until a couple weeks ago when the D-stick started acting weird. Like, it's kinda sluggish and it seems like it's always pointing down a little. So sometimes I randomly crouch, and sometimes I can't do up-attacks. Also, even if you unplug it and re-plug it back in to reset it, it doesn't fix it.

I'll probably have to get a new controller soon. :( my poor controller, it's been through so much

Until then I'll just use the 2nd controller, that one works fine.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
I just imported a new, white Gamecube controller from Japan. Still in perfect condition. As for my previous controller, it's still in great condition as well. That one is about 4 years old.

I've never really destroyed any of my controllers in any way.

CAPTAIN_FALCON23

Smash Cadet
I know what you mean, my brother and I wore through the erasers on three of our cube controllers. Sonic Riders - there's this part where you have to rotate the stick as fast as possible and we ended up slicing the erasers off with the plastic edge of the control stick.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
I got my GC controller with my system in 2004, and I still use it today. I'm just now thinking about getting another, but not because I've worn out the other one. I just want another color!

Top Bottom