• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How important are tiers to you?

Boofy!

Smash Champion
they certainly matter, no doubt about it. I just hate it when people base their decisions solely on tiers.

like "omg I'm G&W why can't i beat this Ness? He must hax!!"

seriously... Experience>Tiers

EDIT omg i just realized how old this thread is.. oops

RyanPF

Smash Journeyman
Since I main Peach, Luigi, and Yoshi, I obviously don't care too much about tiers. It's a factor, but not as big as experience or even as big as luck. (Luck does exist to some degree)

Jimnymebob

Smash Champion
NNID
Jimnymebob
I don't care about tiers. The only thing I used it for was to gain more interest in D3, who I went from hating to liking.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
they certainly matter, no doubt about it. I just hate it when people base their decisions solely on tiers.

like "omg I'm G&W why can't i beat this Ness? He must hax!!"

seriously... Experience>Tiers

EDIT omg i just realized how old this thread is.. oops
That's very true. People need to take into account matchups and more importantly, relative skill of the two players.

Give a professional C Falcon and give a Smash noob MK, and we'll see who wins...

Mr.Fakeman

Smash Journeyman
Generally, I see the Tier list as whoever character has the more advantage over all the others... I seriously think there's no problem pointing this out. But when it comes to the 'I can beat you because your character is low tier' sort of concept, this is where things get out of place! I pick probably the lowest tier character and I can still beat top tiers, in reality it doesen't matter to me because it is how the person plays and not the character itself. When you choose a low tier you like, then you bear with the disadvantages, like me :)

MasterWarlord

Smash Champion
Not wasting countless hours on a 10 man community
I can't use Ganondorf competively anymore due to how sucky he is, so I'd say it means a lot to me. It also means MK beats everything and is the most imba monstrosity to ever come out of Smash.

It's not so much the tier list itself, but Sakurai's terribly imbalanced game that affects me. I can clearly see MK and Dedede are superior to Ganondorf without any tier lst.

mostwins

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4742-8002-0115
They affect me somewhat for brawl i main GAW and Marth, my decision to pick up Marth was largely based on how few bad match-ups he has.

then again i play Gannon a lot so that's all out the window

TEECO

Smash Ace
Eh. I dont care much about them, I picked my main before i even knew what a tier was. But more and more people everyday switch to high teirs just to win a few matches. Pathetic.

LinIsKorean

Smash Journeyman
I accept the fact the tier lists exist. Obviously, some characters are simply better than others. Of course, skill becomes the ultimate factor in deciding who wins, but tier lists DO exist, so completely ignoring them is a little silly. I wouldn't change who I main based on the tier list though, because, imo, with enough hard work, any character can win. I myself main C. Falcon, and it makes me feel awesome when I beat some of the other higher tier characters.

crewster

Smash Lord
Did you find yourself switching characters at all after seeing it?
No

Where you discouraged/encouraged when you saw it?
When I saw it I was maining Toon Link and he is mid tier so It didn't discourage me.

Honestly though, tier lists have never really made me not want to use a character. I pick my mains based on who I like and I've found that if I like the character enough that I can get good with them in spite of any 'handi-caps' they may have.
Same with me, with the exception of my 3rd, DDD.

Hughalicous

Smash Apprentice
Highest up I play is zelda, and my other 3 favs ARE THE BOTTOM TIER
Link Ganon and Jiggly FTW

That said, tiers affect all our choices if we pick a character to counterpick an opponents, even if we only choose fromour favs their choice of meta or snake forces us to play as ________

Son1x-

Smash Apprentice
Lets see, my main is Pit, who is 15th. Others I play are: 1 top, 1 high(2 if you include Pit), 1 middle and 3 low(CF being one of them).
Yea, I don't care about them that much. Its more about how much I like the chars themself.

justaway12

Smash Master
i don't listen to the teir lists i picked peach because she's fun so is the pk trainer is my second even if he is low and im gonna try to make mario my third favorite they are fun to play with

urdailywater

Smash Hero
They mean nothing to me. I'm competitive and they effect me in no way rather than to have something to debate about, or to see where characters stand.

It doesn't effect my character choice, though.

K 2

Smash Lord
I picked G&W and Pika to play when the game came out, and they happened to be top and high tier respectively. I picked them before the tier list came out. I did try out most of the higher tiered characters after the list was released to get a feel for them and to see why they were so good, but none of them stuck with me except the IC's and MK.

Black_Heretic

Smash Lord
Matchup knowledge > tier list

Knowing your character's matchups is way more important than knowing your character's tier

Pelikinesis

Smash Journeyman
This reminds me of Melee. I only became aware of the competitive Melee scene half a year before Brawl came out, although by then me and my friends only played Final Destination with no items.

Once I found out that Mewtwo was the lowest (at the time) I began maining him. I have a "Can Do" attitude.

Now with Brawl, I keep the list in mind so I know what characters I'll probably end up playing against when playing random people, but it has little impact on my character choice.

I personally get more serious as soon as someone whips out a top tier, but I consider it just an additional challenge. That's probably because my friends and I are competitive-casual (we don't edgehog each other because it isn't a satisfying kill, etc.) and I haven't played a totally ruthless Metaknight or Snake.

SilverLanayru

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SilverLanayru
3DS FC
1977-0801-2134
Switch FC
SW-1383-4892-7702
The tier list isn't really important to me nor does it affect me. I didn't actually mind that some of my mains are in the middle and low tier categories. I can still work best with them no matter what. So above all, I personally don't care about the tier list...

Obesely

Smash Rookie
Falco and Luigi are my mains, + a few others from mid and low (none from bottom). Fairly even spread, technically speaking, but I couldn't care less about where these characters stand in the grand scheme of things. Generally speaking, it's always about a big "up yours" to the highest char on the tiers (MK in this case). From what I've played and from what I've seen, if you are the BETTER player, you should still win. The bigger the tier gap, though, means you'll have to work MUCH harder.

Lex Crunch

Smash Journeyman
The tier list means nothing to me when it comes to choosing a likable character, but it is a huge bonus to me when that character is noticably low on the tier list, so it's almost like a hustling sometimes. Specializing in Ike, Ganondorf, Ness and Mario, I get alot of satisfaction out of my characters being so low, and I didn't even do it on purpose.

Top Bottom